FIRE crews have left the scene of a fire which began on the roof of a thatched house in Ham.

Dorset and Wiltshire fire service said the fire is believed to have started accidentally at the home on Spray Road, Ham, and an investigation into exactly what happened is on-going.

The fire began at 3pm yesterday afternoon.

A spokesman for the fire service said: “We would express our thanks to the local community, who helped salvage the occupiers’ possessions and found secure places for them to be stored; they also provided tea and support to the crews throughout.”

Crews attended from Marlborough, Westlea, Swindon, Cricklade, Ludgershall and Malmesbury. Royal Berkshire FRS sent appliances from Newbury, Lambourn and Reading Whitley Wood, while crews from Eastleigh and Whitchurch were sent by Hampshire FRS.

The road was closed for several hours and crews were at the scene for nearly 24 hours.