THE inquest of Devizes man Trevor Smith was adjourned after the coroner heard that he sent his father Nick an abusive text message five weeks before he died.

Nick Smith told the inquest at Salisbury Coroner’s Court yesterday that he told his GP, Dr Elizabeth Madigan at Lansdowne Surgery in Devizes, about the text message and he said he was concerned about his son’s behaviour and past suicide attempts.

Mr Smith said his GP would speak to her colleague, Dr Charles Cowen, who was Trevor Smith’s GP.

A statement from Dr Cowen was read out at the inquest but there was no mention of the concerns raised by Nick Smith to Dr Madigan.

Nick Smith, who lives in Devizes, told the inquest: “I told my GP I was extremely concerned about Trevor’s behaviour and past problems and my GP said she would speak to Trevor’s GP about it.”

Assistant Deputy Coroner Dr Claire Balysz was shown the one-word text message sent by Trevor Smith on Nick Smith’s mobile phone. The message was not read out in the courtroom.

She agreed that the inquest should be adjourned for enquiries to be made with Dr Madigan and Dr Cowen to ask if the concerns were passed on.

Trevor Smith, 36, was found hanging from the loft hatch in his flat in Massey Road, Devizes, on July 6 last year.

The inquest heard that at the time of his death he was single and unemployed and was known to have mental health and alcohol issues.

A member of Marlborough Army Cadet Force as a youngster, he had set his heart on joining the Army when he left Pewsey Vale School but failed the medical due to asthma. This affected him badly and within a year he began drinking cider heavily.

He worked for a time at Mortimer’s fruit and vegetable shop in Marlborough.

In his statement Dr Cowen last saw Trevor Smith in April 2012 and said he had significantly reduced his alcohol intake in the last four months from 50 units a week to 12 units a week.

Dr Cowen said: “There was no evidence of self-harming and he seemed to be progressing in the right direction. In the last few months of seeing him I was encouraged by the improvement in his mood and he appeared outwardly to be well. There was no indication to me that suicide would be attempted. I planned to see him in a month to review. He did not reattend.”

The text message that Nick Smith received was on May 31.

PC Jo Smith, who investigated Trevor Smith’s death, said no notes were found at his flat and there were no suspicious circumstances.