AFTER suffering defeat to first division runners-up Westbury United Reserves in this season’s A&B and Knockout Cup finals, Joe Martin will be hoping that it will be third time lucky for his Lacock FC side on Friday evening when they take on Trowbridge Town Reserves at Westbury United’s Meadow Lane ground in the final of the EJ Shanley & Son-sponsored Spring Cup.

Lacock, who were still in the hunt for an unprecedented four trophies when the match was first scheduled a fortnight ago, will arrive at Meadow Lane looking to salvage something from a campaign that has somewhat come off the rails in the last seven days.

Another defeat would be unbearable for the villagers who were confident that their trophy cabinet would be bulging, the Division Two winners cup being all that graces it before tonight’s final.

The Spring Cup, which this season was open to teams from both Division Two and Three, went ahead despite the appalling weather conditions from December to early March which almost caused the league to abandon it.

Trowbridge Town’s route to Meadow Lane saw them paired with the then third division leaders Holt in round one. Goals from Dan Barnett and Ben Winn earned the Bees a 2-1 win in the first leg tie. The second leg was more convincing as manager Dave Jenkins helped himself to a hat-trick and Barry Holloway added a single to give their side a 6-1 aggregate win.

Next up for Trowbridge were third division Polenez Westbury, who were expected to suffer a heavy loss in the quarter-final tie, but eventually lost out to goals from Dan Barnett who scored twice and Craig Neate once.

Town’s semi-final opponents were local rivals Trowbridge Wanderers Reserves, who they had already beaten twice this season.

The match that was played at Stanley Park was a thriller which the Town eventually won 2-1 after falling behind to a Steve Jackson goal.

Zack Manna restored parity for the Town on the stroke of half time when he drove home direct from a free kick.

Keeper John Wiltshire kept the Bees in the tie with some fine stops before Kieren Mills netted their winner.

Lacock’s route to the final was a easier one in comparison, the draw being kind to Martin’s side in the first round as the villagers were handed a bye into the quarter-finals.

There they entertained third division United FC, who were lucky to get away with a 6-0 drubbing despite having two players sent off. Craig Burge and Adrian Webb scored two each with singles for Simon Gray and Darrin Moss making up the half dozen.

Westwood News stood in the way of a third cup final appearance of the season for Martin’s side and although Lacock took an early lead through Jake Marshall’s second-minute scrambled goal they were made to work hard for the 3-1 win.

Trowbridge are making their first cup final appearance since they beat Lavington to lift the Division Two Cup in 2007.