WHAT should have been the last of the three Trowbridge & District League cup finals, turned out to be the first of the season.

Following the recent postponements of both the Spring and Knockout Cup finals, the Briken Motors & AM Print & Copy-sponsored A&B cup final kicked off seven days of finals, all three featuring second division champions Lacock.

Lacock’s opponents at Warminster Town’s Weymouth Street ground were first division runners-up Westbury United Reserves, who they will also meet at the Conigre on Tuesday evening in he Knockout Cup showpiece.

And it will be Jason and Simon Edwards Westbury side who will go into the game full of confidence as two late goals earned them a 2-0 win that brought Lacock’s 25-match unbeaten run to an end.

In a first half that saw both defences’ come out on top and neither keeper really tested, it was Westbury who had the first shot of any meaning in the 22nd minute when Nick Taylor under pressure from Kevin Hogkinson put his effort wide of the target.

Lacock lost their main striker Simon Gray on the half hour mark to a hamstring injury and shortly after Jack Hayward put another good chance for Westbury wide of the mark.

A slip in the Westbury defence by George Wheeler in the 35th minute gifted the ball to Tom Lye but his chance to break the deadlock went begging as his tame effort found the hands of keeper Leo Whitehead.

With the first half drawing to a close Westbury should have taken the lead, after beating the offside trap Nick Taylor fired his shot wide of the target with Lacock stopper Nick Gingell well beaten.

Lacock started brightly in the second half and had it not been for the timely intervention of Ryan Earny could have got their noses in front on 52 minutes.

Keeper Whitehead spilled Jake Marshall’s shot but Earny was quickest to react and clear the ball to safety.

The action switched immediately to the other end and Jack Hayward was a whisker away from putting Westbury in front with his outstretched leg just failing to connect with a Joe Moloney cross.

On the hour mark, Westbury really should have broke the deadlock, a free kick from Gary Tugwell found its way to Nick Taylor who from eight yards out blasted over the bar, when it looked easier to score.

Lacock in turn had a chance to take the lead a great delivery from Tom Lye found Adie Webb who miss hit his effort and seconds later keeper Whitehead produced a fine stop to deny Webb and keep the scoreline goalless.

With 17 minutes remaining the match was turned on its head, Lacock being reduced to ten men after Stuart Tutty was sent off.

Referee Alan Thompson conferred with his assistant referee Neil Wilcox before showing the red card to Tutty for a professional foul.

With Tutty missing in the heart of the Lacock defence Westbury were able to take full advantage but only after missing another golden opportunity to go ahead, the ball falling kindly to Hayward who with all the time in the world and just the keeper to beat fired over from eight yards.

The deadlock was finally broken on 81 minutes, the ball finding its way to Jon Price on the angle of the 18 yard box and he kept his calm to chip the advancing Nick Gingell for the opening goal of the game.

Four minutes later Westbury doubled their lead, Jack Hayward atoning for his earlier miss to stroke the ball in for 2-0, for Hayward it was to be his last action of the game as he was replaced by Drew Adams.

With Westbury looking to hold their advantage they replaced the opening goal scorer Price with Connor McKay and as time ticked away Westbury were never really troubled by a Lacock side who were second best on the day.

Andy Burbidge, representing cup sponsors Briken Motors, presented both teams with their match mementoes and Westbury’s Jon Price picked up Player of the Final award.