5:50am Saturday 16th June 2012
By Sam Morshead
SWINDON Town have received interest in several members of their current playing staff, interim chairman Jeremy Wray has confirmed.
The Robins have transfer listed a number of first-team professionals this summer as manager Paolo Di Canio looks to build a squad capable of challenging for promotion from League One.
Wray did not name the players in question or the clubs involved, but he reiterated that many of the Swindon squad are currently in the shop window.
He said: “We’ve had interest in a number of players. We’ve made it known that there are other players potentially, who are at the club under contract, that may be available if we get offers in for them or if they think it’s right for them to move on.
“That has inevitably led to enquiries for certainly three or four players so far and we’re just waiting and we’ll see what we do with them but things will happen.
“Common sense says if seven or eight are coming in then we’re not going to have too large a squad so a number will be going out.”
Wray emphasised that he and Di Canio do not want to have numbers amongst the squad just for the sake of it, stressing that everyone on Town’s books come the start of next season will be expected to play a significant role over the course of the campaign.
“I think you’re looking at a core of a team from last season that is in place, but it is a squad game and what you’ve got to make sure is that the people you bring in that are part of that squad are not just numbers that sit there and are numbers on the back of a programme or come on once in a while, when you’re 5-0 up,” he said. “They need to be key people who can play a part, so the strength will be in depth to the point where Paolo’s genuinely got 17 or 18 players he feels are of a standard that could get us to the Championship.”
© Copyright 2001-2013 Newsquest Media Group