The men Di Canio will bring with him

WHEN Paolo Di Canio spoke for the first time about his appointment as Swindon Town manager on Monday, he also revealed the two fellow Italians he will be bringing to assist him at the club.

Fabrizio Piccareta will join as the former West Ham striker's right-hand man while Claudio Donatelli arrives as the Robins' new fitness coach.

Piccareta boasts experience of working at the highest level in Italy having spent five years working with the youth team at Inter Milan.

The Italian giants have an impressive pedigree of bringing through top quality youngsters, with the likes of Manchester City's Mario Balotelli and Obafemi Martins, formerly of Newcastle and most recently Birmingham, having come through the ranks at the club.

Piccareta left Inter in 2009 to take up the reins at AC Loanesi, a lower league side in Italy, before leaving in January this year.

Piccareta appears to have the same work ethic as Di Canio, stating in a recent interview that there are three key traits he values above all others in his players.

“First of all there is respect. By this term I mean not only education, but also the ability to understand and appreciate the work of the whole team and staff,” he said. “This is the key because a group can achieve results of value if they work together.

“Secondly, I want my team to have an idea of the game. The inspiration of the individual is certainly important, but if it is not made for the team then our training is useless.

“Third and finally is commitment. We must work constantly to improve.”

Di Canio clearly values peak physical fitness highly and keen to ensure the players reach his high standards, he has brought in Donatelli.

After graduating with a degree as a physical trainer from the "Foro Italico" University of Rome in 1997, Donatelli has worked as fitness coach at a host of clubs.

The Italian spent seven years at Lazio before spells at Ternana and two-time Greek champions FC PAOK.

He was must recently employed by Reggina in Serie B before the call came from Di Canio.

The two will be the only additions to Town's backroom staff with those currently in place set to retain their roles.

Comments (15)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

7:54am Wed 25 May 11

the wizard says...

It looks like a Boot Camp compered to the Pie & Chips of late, and this cannot come a moment too soon.
For far too long some have got away with a lot. Richie is a prime example of what can be done, and I would imagine he will welcome the new regeme, while others will have to go through a lot of pain to gain. This underlines the basic fundemental element that has been missing all season, and to a point was apparent the season before, demonstrated by " the malais" many of us have writen about on here time after time. Remeber Wilson at Wembley, yelling out " Wake Up ", the early goals conceded in the first few minutes while the teams heads were still in the changing room, and the often game losing late goal by who ever we were playing. Players becoming almost invisible, Prutton, Dougie, most of the defence, invisible and asleep.
It looks like some Kick@rs#e has arrived in a very bigbox. Lots of it. Good.
It looks like a Boot Camp compered to the Pie & Chips of late, and this cannot come a moment too soon. For far too long some have got away with a lot. Richie is a prime example of what can be done, and I would imagine he will welcome the new regeme, while others will have to go through a lot of pain to gain. This underlines the basic fundemental element that has been missing all season, and to a point was apparent the season before, demonstrated by " the malais" many of us have writen about on here time after time. Remeber Wilson at Wembley, yelling out " Wake Up ", the early goals conceded in the first few minutes while the teams heads were still in the changing room, and the often game losing late goal by who ever we were playing. Players becoming almost invisible, Prutton, Dougie, most of the defence, invisible and asleep. It looks like some Kick@rs#e has arrived in a very bigbox. Lots of it. Good. the wizard
  • Score: 0

7:55am Wed 25 May 11

umpcah says...

"The two will be the only additions to Town's backroom staff with those currently in place set to retain their roles" So Zippy stays where he is. That confirmation will please many posters .
"The two will be the only additions to Town's backroom staff with those currently in place set to retain their roles" So Zippy stays where he is. That confirmation will please many posters . umpcah
  • Score: 0

8:07am Wed 25 May 11

RedBrum says...

I woke up and read this.

'Secondly, I want my team to have an idea of the game. The inspiration of the individual is certainly important, but if it is not made for the team then our training is useless'.

Sorry is this my beloved Swindon Town we are talking about because this sounds straight from the 'Ajax Acadamy' school of coaching.

Brilliant. We must be head and shoulders above every other League 2 side in terms of this continental approach to coaching. What for instance is Oxfords philosophy?!
I woke up and read this. 'Secondly, I want my team to have an idea of the game. The inspiration of the individual is certainly important, but if it is not made for the team then our training is useless'. Sorry is this my beloved Swindon Town we are talking about because this sounds straight from the 'Ajax Acadamy' school of coaching. Brilliant. We must be head and shoulders above every other League 2 side in terms of this continental approach to coaching. What for instance is Oxfords philosophy?! RedBrum
  • Score: 0

8:12am Wed 25 May 11

SAPFanSTFC says...

I just keep smiling at all this - excellent
.....
I've a funny feeling (and I'll apologise if IO'm wrong), that Douglas is starting to think "SH1T!!....This sounds too much like hard work!......I'm a Dooggie get me out of here!!"
.....
I hope they keep Lecs along with a few of the youngsters as I think he will be one of those who blooms under this new regime.
I just keep smiling at all this - excellent ..... I've a funny feeling (and I'll apologise if IO'm wrong), that Douglas is starting to think "SH1T!!....This sounds too much like hard work!......I'm a Dooggie get me out of here!!" ..... I hope they keep Lecs along with a few of the youngsters as I think he will be one of those who blooms under this new regime. SAPFanSTFC
  • Score: 0

8:47am Wed 25 May 11

umpcah says...

SAPFanSTFC wrote:
I just keep smiling at all this - excellent ..... I've a funny feeling (and I'll apologise if IO'm wrong), that Douglas is starting to think "SH1T!!....This sounds too much like hard work!......I'm a Dooggie get me out of here!!" ..... I hope they keep Lecs along with a few of the youngsters as I think he will be one of those who blooms under this new regime.
Flint, Pavett and Benyon must`ve wondered what they`d come to when the Town were relegated. However their morale must be very much higher this week ! If they`ve got it there I reckon the new regime will soon bring it out. Exciting times ahead ? Of course there are ! My dearest wish is for the first league match to be at home !COME ON YOU REDS !
[quote][p][bold]SAPFanSTFC[/bold] wrote: I just keep smiling at all this - excellent ..... I've a funny feeling (and I'll apologise if IO'm wrong), that Douglas is starting to think "SH1T!!....This sounds too much like hard work!......I'm a Dooggie get me out of here!!" ..... I hope they keep Lecs along with a few of the youngsters as I think he will be one of those who blooms under this new regime.[/p][/quote]Flint, Pavett and Benyon must`ve wondered what they`d come to when the Town were relegated. However their morale must be very much higher this week ! If they`ve got it there I reckon the new regime will soon bring it out. Exciting times ahead ? Of course there are ! My dearest wish is for the first league match to be at home !COME ON YOU REDS ! umpcah
  • Score: 0

9:28am Wed 25 May 11

Oi Den! says...

RedBrum wrote:
I woke up and read this. 'Secondly, I want my team to have an idea of the game. The inspiration of the individual is certainly important, but if it is not made for the team then our training is useless'. Sorry is this my beloved Swindon Town we are talking about because this sounds straight from the 'Ajax Acadamy' school of coaching. Brilliant. We must be head and shoulders above every other League 2 side in terms of this continental approach to coaching. What for instance is Oxfords philosophy?!
It's exciting stuff but we haven't kicked a ball in training yet, let alone in earnest. I'm not going to get carried away unless and until I see us making a serious assault on promotion. And I would be be very wary of ridiculing our neighbours from up the road. Remember all the crap people on here gave Brighton fans about how we were going to be so much better than them? There are a lot of lessons to be learned from last season, not the least of which is that we need to guard against complacency. My guess is that Di Canio is going to get it right. But I think he already understands that it's not going to be easy.
[quote][p][bold]RedBrum[/bold] wrote: I woke up and read this. 'Secondly, I want my team to have an idea of the game. The inspiration of the individual is certainly important, but if it is not made for the team then our training is useless'. Sorry is this my beloved Swindon Town we are talking about because this sounds straight from the 'Ajax Acadamy' school of coaching. Brilliant. We must be head and shoulders above every other League 2 side in terms of this continental approach to coaching. What for instance is Oxfords philosophy?![/p][/quote]It's exciting stuff but we haven't kicked a ball in training yet, let alone in earnest. I'm not going to get carried away unless and until I see us making a serious assault on promotion. And I would be be very wary of ridiculing our neighbours from up the road. Remember all the crap people on here gave Brighton fans about how we were going to be so much better than them? There are a lot of lessons to be learned from last season, not the least of which is that we need to guard against complacency. My guess is that Di Canio is going to get it right. But I think he already understands that it's not going to be easy. Oi Den!
  • Score: 0

9:41am Wed 25 May 11

the don69 says...

Oi Den! wrote:
RedBrum wrote:
I woke up and read this. 'Secondly, I want my team to have an idea of the game. The inspiration of the individual is certainly important, but if it is not made for the team then our training is useless'. Sorry is this my beloved Swindon Town we are talking about because this sounds straight from the 'Ajax Acadamy' school of coaching. Brilliant. We must be head and shoulders above every other League 2 side in terms of this continental approach to coaching. What for instance is Oxfords philosophy?!
It's exciting stuff but we haven't kicked a ball in training yet, let alone in earnest. I'm not going to get carried away unless and until I see us making a serious assault on promotion. And I would be be very wary of ridiculing our neighbours from up the road. Remember all the crap people on here gave Brighton fans about how we were going to be so much better than them? There are a lot of lessons to be learned from last season, not the least of which is that we need to guard against complacency. My guess is that Di Canio is going to get it right. But I think he already understands that it's not going to be easy.
Good Point Den,We got it all to do,lets go quietly about the Business and be ready for the big kick-off,Tidworth Barracks for a boot camp Paolo,that would help you whip your team into shape for the new season!No your right Den,lets not get too big headed and do the job.
[quote][p][bold]Oi Den![/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]RedBrum[/bold] wrote: I woke up and read this. 'Secondly, I want my team to have an idea of the game. The inspiration of the individual is certainly important, but if it is not made for the team then our training is useless'. Sorry is this my beloved Swindon Town we are talking about because this sounds straight from the 'Ajax Acadamy' school of coaching. Brilliant. We must be head and shoulders above every other League 2 side in terms of this continental approach to coaching. What for instance is Oxfords philosophy?![/p][/quote]It's exciting stuff but we haven't kicked a ball in training yet, let alone in earnest. I'm not going to get carried away unless and until I see us making a serious assault on promotion. And I would be be very wary of ridiculing our neighbours from up the road. Remember all the crap people on here gave Brighton fans about how we were going to be so much better than them? There are a lot of lessons to be learned from last season, not the least of which is that we need to guard against complacency. My guess is that Di Canio is going to get it right. But I think he already understands that it's not going to be easy.[/p][/quote]Good Point Den,We got it all to do,lets go quietly about the Business and be ready for the big kick-off,Tidworth Barracks for a boot camp Paolo,that would help you whip your team into shape for the new season!No your right Den,lets not get too big headed and do the job. the don69
  • Score: 0

9:43am Wed 25 May 11

welsh red says...

Hope Piccareta and Bodin can work together to give the younger players a chance of making it through to the senior side. If even a proportion of this 'talk' can be transferred into action on the pitch, next season will be something to look forward to. I agree that an element of 'caution' is important: having a relatively 'new' team to work with things may not happen immediately. However if the balance of skill and enthusiasm can be obtained it might just be possible.
Here's hoping
Hope Piccareta and Bodin can work together to give the younger players a chance of making it through to the senior side. If even a proportion of this 'talk' can be transferred into action on the pitch, next season will be something to look forward to. I agree that an element of 'caution' is important: having a relatively 'new' team to work with things may not happen immediately. However if the balance of skill and enthusiasm can be obtained it might just be possible. Here's hoping welsh red
  • Score: 0

10:04am Wed 25 May 11

dazinblack says...

This reminds me of the Lou Macari days when he first arrived and look what happened then! I am very excited and like Oi den also cautious. Its all positive stuff coming out of the County Ground at the moment... will we be adding a bit or green back to our playing strip in recognition of the "Italian influence"? s/w many like how apt!
This reminds me of the Lou Macari days when he first arrived and look what happened then! I am very excited and like Oi den also cautious. Its all positive stuff coming out of the County Ground at the moment... will we be adding a bit or green back to our playing strip in recognition of the "Italian influence"? s/w many like how apt! dazinblack
  • Score: 0

10:28am Wed 25 May 11

STFCLetsGetRocked says...

Douglas will jump ship soon, he's been linked with Bournemouth and Exeter already. Good riddance imho.

Strange that Andrea Pazzagli has not been mentioned, as I have heard that he is taking over from old Georgie Wood as Goalkeeping Coach.

Cannot see Flint, Misun, Pavett and Dosser staying personally and Paolo will have to build his own squad from scratch. Harry Kane (Tottenham striker) has been linked with us on a season-long deal and he looks a great prospect.

Feeling very optimistic, but we have a long long way to go yet.
Douglas will jump ship soon, he's been linked with Bournemouth and Exeter already. Good riddance imho. Strange that Andrea Pazzagli has not been mentioned, as I have heard that he is taking over from old Georgie Wood as Goalkeeping Coach. Cannot see Flint, Misun, Pavett and Dosser staying personally and Paolo will have to build his own squad from scratch. Harry Kane (Tottenham striker) has been linked with us on a season-long deal and he looks a great prospect. Feeling very optimistic, but we have a long long way to go yet. STFCLetsGetRocked
  • Score: 0

10:29am Wed 25 May 11

RedBrum says...

the don69 wrote:
Oi Den! wrote:
RedBrum wrote: I woke up and read this. 'Secondly, I want my team to have an idea of the game. The inspiration of the individual is certainly important, but if it is not made for the team then our training is useless'. Sorry is this my beloved Swindon Town we are talking about because this sounds straight from the 'Ajax Acadamy' school of coaching. Brilliant. We must be head and shoulders above every other League 2 side in terms of this continental approach to coaching. What for instance is Oxfords philosophy?!
It's exciting stuff but we haven't kicked a ball in training yet, let alone in earnest. I'm not going to get carried away unless and until I see us making a serious assault on promotion. And I would be be very wary of ridiculing our neighbours from up the road. Remember all the crap people on here gave Brighton fans about how we were going to be so much better than them? There are a lot of lessons to be learned from last season, not the least of which is that we need to guard against complacency. My guess is that Di Canio is going to get it right. But I think he already understands that it's not going to be easy.
Good Point Den,We got it all to do,lets go quietly about the Business and be ready for the big kick-off,Tidworth Barracks for a boot camp Paolo,that would help you whip your team into shape for the new season!No your right Den,lets not get too big headed and do the job.
Yeah good point. I was one of those who bragged that Town would finish above Brighton. The words humble and pie come to mind so this is good advice. Hard not to be excited though at this thoughtfull approach.
[quote][p][bold]the don69[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Oi Den![/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]RedBrum[/bold] wrote: I woke up and read this. 'Secondly, I want my team to have an idea of the game. The inspiration of the individual is certainly important, but if it is not made for the team then our training is useless'. Sorry is this my beloved Swindon Town we are talking about because this sounds straight from the 'Ajax Acadamy' school of coaching. Brilliant. We must be head and shoulders above every other League 2 side in terms of this continental approach to coaching. What for instance is Oxfords philosophy?![/p][/quote]It's exciting stuff but we haven't kicked a ball in training yet, let alone in earnest. I'm not going to get carried away unless and until I see us making a serious assault on promotion. And I would be be very wary of ridiculing our neighbours from up the road. Remember all the crap people on here gave Brighton fans about how we were going to be so much better than them? There are a lot of lessons to be learned from last season, not the least of which is that we need to guard against complacency. My guess is that Di Canio is going to get it right. But I think he already understands that it's not going to be easy.[/p][/quote]Good Point Den,We got it all to do,lets go quietly about the Business and be ready for the big kick-off,Tidworth Barracks for a boot camp Paolo,that would help you whip your team into shape for the new season!No your right Den,lets not get too big headed and do the job.[/p][/quote]Yeah good point. I was one of those who bragged that Town would finish above Brighton. The words humble and pie come to mind so this is good advice. Hard not to be excited though at this thoughtfull approach. RedBrum
  • Score: 0

11:00am Wed 25 May 11

dreamofacleansheet2 says...

Over the moon especially about fitness coach. I'd offered DW and AF the services of a mate of mine who's one of the leading strength and conditioning experts in the country. He'd have done "mate rates". Never got even the courtesy of a reply and he's only employed as consultant by Chelsea to lecture all of their Sports Science team.

Get into the 21st century and sort this shower out. DC has my total unequivacal backing, in his team ethos, his discipline, his fitness requirements and his footballing philosphy. Furthermore if he deems Dougie or anyone else doesn't fit thaen that is good enough for me. No one should be untouchable and I have the faith in him to sort. No bragging mind just quiet confidence.
Over the moon especially about fitness coach. I'd offered DW and AF the services of a mate of mine who's one of the leading strength and conditioning experts in the country. He'd have done "mate rates". Never got even the courtesy of a reply and he's only employed as consultant by Chelsea to lecture all of their Sports Science team. Get into the 21st century and sort this shower out. DC has my total unequivacal backing, in his team ethos, his discipline, his fitness requirements and his footballing philosphy. Furthermore if he deems Dougie or anyone else doesn't fit thaen that is good enough for me. No one should be untouchable and I have the faith in him to sort. No bragging mind just quiet confidence. dreamofacleansheet2
  • Score: 0

11:07am Wed 25 May 11

the wizard says...

STFCLetsGetRocked, That There Swindon ,
-
Dosser has been gone for a while, already.
STFCLetsGetRocked, That There Swindon , - Dosser has been gone for a while, already. the wizard
  • Score: 0

12:31pm Wed 25 May 11

shane10 says...

Brilliant news ITALIAN MAFIA 2 SWINDON!!! great guys love the passion bring on the new season,Di canios passion should bring the fans back to the CG just hope they trust him with what hes trying to do!! GIVE HIM A CHANCE AND FILL THE COUNTY GROUND!!!
Brilliant news ITALIAN MAFIA 2 SWINDON!!! great guys love the passion bring on the new season,Di canios passion should bring the fans back to the CG just hope they trust him with what hes trying to do!! GIVE HIM A CHANCE AND FILL THE COUNTY GROUND!!! shane10
  • Score: 0

2:29pm Wed 25 May 11

JohnNeal4me says...

dazinblack said:"This reminds me of the Lou Macari days when he first arrived and look what happened then! I am very excited and like Oi den also cautious. Its all positive stuff coming out of the County Ground at the moment... will we be adding a bit or green back to our playing strip in recognition of the "Italian influence"? s/w many like how apt!" Lets not forget that Macari's first season was very average - so lets not get too carried away about instant promotion.
dazinblack said:"This reminds me of the Lou Macari days when he first arrived and look what happened then! I am very excited and like Oi den also cautious. Its all positive stuff coming out of the County Ground at the moment... will we be adding a bit or green back to our playing strip in recognition of the "Italian influence"? s/w many like how apt!" Lets not forget that Macari's first season was very average - so lets not get too carried away about instant promotion. JohnNeal4me
  • Score: 0

Comments are closed on this article.

click2find

Get Adobe Flash player
About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree