Get involved! Send photos, video, news & views. Text WILTS GAZETTE to 80360 or email us
BOXING: Hughes confirms second fight date
MALMESBURY’S Joe Hughes will step back into the ring for his second professional bout on February 5.
The 20-year-old light-welterweight, who claimed a dominant points victory over Sheffield’s Jason Carr on his pro debut last October, will take on East Ham journeyman Johnny Greaves at Brentwood Leisure Centre, as part of the undercard to Jason Booth’s British super-bantamweight defence against Jamie Arthur.
Hughes, pictured, who was last year’s ABA light-welterweight champion, is back in intensive training at Paddy John’s Gym in Bristol and is relishing the next stage of his fledgling pro career.
“I can’t wait to get back to it – it’s been quite a long break since my last fight but that’s just the way it goes,” he said.
“He (Greaves) is a tough southpaw and he’s had a lot more fights than I have but I should come through it.
“It should be a good learning experience and hopefully my skills will win me the fight.”
In August last year, the Malmesbury prospect was taken under the wing of top promoter Frank Maloney, who dubbed him ‘The Gent’, and Hughes is now loving life as a pro.
“I’m blessed to have a job where I’m doing what I enjoy, which is boxing,” he said.
“I’m enjoying it and I couldn’t ask for more.”
Lee Newman, landlord at the Borough Arms in Malmesbury, is organising a 52-seater coach to take supporters to Hughes’ bout in Essex, as well as selling tickets for the venue.
For information contact Newman on (01666) 822806.