CONNECTIONS of last year's champion two-year-old Toormore, who is trained in Wiltshire, are sitting tight on his next run until the horse gives off the right signals.
Despite winning the Craven Stakes on his reappearance, the colt, trained by Collingbourne Ducis handler Richard Hannon, failed to sparkle in the Qipco 2000 Guineas and the St James's Palace Stakes.
Nothing came to light after Toormore was given a thorough check-up following his run at Royal Ascot, with owners Middleham Park Racing and James Pak waiting for a positive bulletin from the Hannon camp.
The Prix Jean Prat at Chantilly on July 14 is a possible next start if Toormore sparkles in his home work, while an autumn campaign might be on the cards.
"When Ryan Moore rode him at Ascot he was adamant there was something ailing the horse. He wasn't striding out for him," said Middleham's racing manager, Tim Palin.
"The vets have been in and he's had every test going and they've still found nothing, but Richard Hannon senior said last week that Toormore is moving like a dream.
"Toormore used to be based at Everleigh and now he's gone to Herridge, so he's moved six miles across Wiltshire in the hope that a change of scenery perks him up. Hopefully that will help.
"The initial vibes from the move are that he's settling in well and he's thoroughly enjoying himself.
"We've decided to take a step back and wait for the Hannons to tell us the horse is spot-on, should that happen to be in time for the Prix Jean Prat on Bastille Day.
"If it takes another two months and it's a back-end campaign then we will go along with that. Until his next run we are going to wait for the Hannons to tell us he is rude health before we fire off our next bullet.
"There were mixed messages about him before Ascot. The Hannons felt they had him in better shape at other times in his career.
"We were keen to run there, but perhaps we should have been more patient."
MORE SPORTS NEWS & PICTURES IN THURSDAY'S GAZETTE & HERALD AND FRIDAY'S WILTSHIRE TIMES