SWINDON TOWN: Pritchard's delight at Spurs debut

The Wiltshire Gazette and Herald: Alex Pritchard made his Tottenham debut yesterday after a season on loan at Swindon Town Alex Pritchard made his Tottenham debut yesterday after a season on loan at Swindon Town

ALEX Pritchard has spoken of his delight at making his first appearance for Tottenham Hotspur following a season-long loan at Swindon Town.

Pritchard was a second-half substitute for Spurs in their 3-0 victory over Aston Villa yesterday, and the tricky midfielder was pleased to have got his first taste of Premier League football.

“Coming back from Swindon, I thought to myself ‘I’ve got to get on to the pitch this season, just to see what it’s like’,” Pritchard told the Tottenham Journal. “To come on in front of thousands of people, I enjoyed every minute of it.

“When I heard I wasn’t going to be playing in the last game of the season at Swindon, with my birthday being on that day, I thought I was going to come back to Spurs and just train.

“Then they said I was training with the first team so I always thought in the back of my mind that I might get a chance on the pitch, and I did.

“The time at Swindon has been great for me. I’ve loved every minute of being there, being with the boys – and a few of them being from Spurs.

“I needed to get out and play proper football, men’s football, first-team football and I’ve done it this year.

“I like to get the ball in the pockets, a bit like Christian Eriksen, but obviously he’s got a bit more on me. I’ve just got to keep plugging away and hopefully more games will come.”

Comments (9)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

2:46pm Mon 12 May 14

joner100 says...

You see, Mr Dyke, there already is a B team league! If such a thing were created, teams like Swindon who have benefited from taking talented Premier League youngsters on loan would lose them to this ill-conceived project. So misguided is the idea that it would further load things in favour of the PL clubs and take loan talent away from all three (four) lower league clubs. This would benefit no-one. Perhaps if PL clubs could not sign players from FL clubs until they pass their 19th or 20th birthday this might stop the big clubs hoovering up all the talent only to loan it out again at a later date. Let young players develop skills at a lower level then they might be in a stronger position to challenge for places in the top teams and build better careers at that level.
You see, Mr Dyke, there already is a B team league! If such a thing were created, teams like Swindon who have benefited from taking talented Premier League youngsters on loan would lose them to this ill-conceived project. So misguided is the idea that it would further load things in favour of the PL clubs and take loan talent away from all three (four) lower league clubs. This would benefit no-one. Perhaps if PL clubs could not sign players from FL clubs until they pass their 19th or 20th birthday this might stop the big clubs hoovering up all the talent only to loan it out again at a later date. Let young players develop skills at a lower level then they might be in a stronger position to challenge for places in the top teams and build better careers at that level. joner100
  • Score: 72

3:41pm Mon 12 May 14

mug? says...

Maybe if all the premier league clubs created a slush fund which was divided up equally between all the lower league clubs that is ring fenced for coaching staff and/or facilities.

I guess part of the reason they hoover up talent, aside for stopping their competitors signing them, is because they don't think the coaching in the lower leagues is good enough.
Maybe if all the premier league clubs created a slush fund which was divided up equally between all the lower league clubs that is ring fenced for coaching staff and/or facilities. I guess part of the reason they hoover up talent, aside for stopping their competitors signing them, is because they don't think the coaching in the lower leagues is good enough. mug?
  • Score: 1

6:34pm Mon 12 May 14

Oi Den! says...

mug? wrote:
Maybe if all the premier league clubs created a slush fund which was divided up equally between all the lower league clubs that is ring fenced for coaching staff and/or facilities.

I guess part of the reason they hoover up talent, aside for stopping their competitors signing them, is because they don't think the coaching in the lower leagues is good enough.
On the subject of funding by the Premier League, what about a reserve League that's open to all clubs like the old Combination used to be, when we would play the likes of Spurs and West Ham? It's often argued that clubs of our size can't afford to run reserve teams. Probably true, but the problem is easily solved. Reserve teams - and, as you suggest, the coaching - can be heavily subsidised with a wodge of the ludicrous amount of cash washing around the Premier League. Then we might have less need to plug gaps with someone else's players and be able to concentrate more on developing and nurturing our own talent. Ideally the club and the players progress together. If it works out that the player is destined for bigger things quicker than the club - as usually happens - then we at least reap the financial reward of a transfer.

I disagree with joner. Yes, we sometimes get players on loan who do well for us but that's a fleeting benefit and can only create a false standard. We are in the third tier of English football. We shouldn't expect to see Premier League players, nor should we need them. We've had great excitement at the Town in the lower divisions over the years, almost always with players who could be politely described as journeymen footballers who succeeded because they were all committed to the cause and were well managed. I haven't given up hope of it happening again.
[quote][p][bold]mug?[/bold] wrote: Maybe if all the premier league clubs created a slush fund which was divided up equally between all the lower league clubs that is ring fenced for coaching staff and/or facilities. I guess part of the reason they hoover up talent, aside for stopping their competitors signing them, is because they don't think the coaching in the lower leagues is good enough.[/p][/quote]On the subject of funding by the Premier League, what about a reserve League that's open to all clubs like the old Combination used to be, when we would play the likes of Spurs and West Ham? It's often argued that clubs of our size can't afford to run reserve teams. Probably true, but the problem is easily solved. Reserve teams - and, as you suggest, the coaching - can be heavily subsidised with a wodge of the ludicrous amount of cash washing around the Premier League. Then we might have less need to plug gaps with someone else's players and be able to concentrate more on developing and nurturing our own talent. Ideally the club and the players progress together. If it works out that the player is destined for bigger things quicker than the club - as usually happens - then we at least reap the financial reward of a transfer. I disagree with joner. Yes, we sometimes get players on loan who do well for us but that's a fleeting benefit and can only create a false standard. We are in the third tier of English football. We shouldn't expect to see Premier League players, nor should we need them. We've had great excitement at the Town in the lower divisions over the years, almost always with players who could be politely described as journeymen footballers who succeeded because they were all committed to the cause and were well managed. I haven't given up hope of it happening again. Oi Den!
  • Score: 6

10:58pm Mon 12 May 14

mancrobin says...

Oi Den! wrote:
mug? wrote:
Maybe if all the premier league clubs created a slush fund which was divided up equally between all the lower league clubs that is ring fenced for coaching staff and/or facilities.

I guess part of the reason they hoover up talent, aside for stopping their competitors signing them, is because they don't think the coaching in the lower leagues is good enough.
On the subject of funding by the Premier League, what about a reserve League that's open to all clubs like the old Combination used to be, when we would play the likes of Spurs and West Ham? It's often argued that clubs of our size can't afford to run reserve teams. Probably true, but the problem is easily solved. Reserve teams - and, as you suggest, the coaching - can be heavily subsidised with a wodge of the ludicrous amount of cash washing around the Premier League. Then we might have less need to plug gaps with someone else's players and be able to concentrate more on developing and nurturing our own talent. Ideally the club and the players progress together. If it works out that the player is destined for bigger things quicker than the club - as usually happens - then we at least reap the financial reward of a transfer.

I disagree with joner. Yes, we sometimes get players on loan who do well for us but that's a fleeting benefit and can only create a false standard. We are in the third tier of English football. We shouldn't expect to see Premier League players, nor should we need them. We've had great excitement at the Town in the lower divisions over the years, almost always with players who could be politely described as journeymen footballers who succeeded because they were all committed to the cause and were well managed. I haven't given up hope of it happening again.
Den, I expect we will see Premiership footballers next season. We get them every year. Some go on to make it and some don't. It appears that Power has the connections and skill to pick the right ones. What's wrong with that? As long as they form part of a balanced side with seasoned lower division pros and young local talent coming through, what's the problem. Getting the balance right is the issue and I would argue we've done pretty well this season. And more lower league teams will want to appoint Chairmen and managers who have the ability to make the most of that situation. Good for the Premiership clubs, good for young local talent and good for us to watch.

As for the old Combination League. Yes, it would be good but it is both uneconomic and probably quite sole less for those playing in front of a handful of people. I went to a few in my younger days and it wasn't very good. Players want real games in front of real people. So, why not ring fence some of the vast Premiership riches and give an allowance to each lower league team to finance loan moves?
[quote][p][bold]Oi Den![/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]mug?[/bold] wrote: Maybe if all the premier league clubs created a slush fund which was divided up equally between all the lower league clubs that is ring fenced for coaching staff and/or facilities. I guess part of the reason they hoover up talent, aside for stopping their competitors signing them, is because they don't think the coaching in the lower leagues is good enough.[/p][/quote]On the subject of funding by the Premier League, what about a reserve League that's open to all clubs like the old Combination used to be, when we would play the likes of Spurs and West Ham? It's often argued that clubs of our size can't afford to run reserve teams. Probably true, but the problem is easily solved. Reserve teams - and, as you suggest, the coaching - can be heavily subsidised with a wodge of the ludicrous amount of cash washing around the Premier League. Then we might have less need to plug gaps with someone else's players and be able to concentrate more on developing and nurturing our own talent. Ideally the club and the players progress together. If it works out that the player is destined for bigger things quicker than the club - as usually happens - then we at least reap the financial reward of a transfer. I disagree with joner. Yes, we sometimes get players on loan who do well for us but that's a fleeting benefit and can only create a false standard. We are in the third tier of English football. We shouldn't expect to see Premier League players, nor should we need them. We've had great excitement at the Town in the lower divisions over the years, almost always with players who could be politely described as journeymen footballers who succeeded because they were all committed to the cause and were well managed. I haven't given up hope of it happening again.[/p][/quote]Den, I expect we will see Premiership footballers next season. We get them every year. Some go on to make it and some don't. It appears that Power has the connections and skill to pick the right ones. What's wrong with that? As long as they form part of a balanced side with seasoned lower division pros and young local talent coming through, what's the problem. Getting the balance right is the issue and I would argue we've done pretty well this season. And more lower league teams will want to appoint Chairmen and managers who have the ability to make the most of that situation. Good for the Premiership clubs, good for young local talent and good for us to watch. As for the old Combination League. Yes, it would be good but it is both uneconomic and probably quite sole less for those playing in front of a handful of people. I went to a few in my younger days and it wasn't very good. Players want real games in front of real people. So, why not ring fence some of the vast Premiership riches and give an allowance to each lower league team to finance loan moves? mancrobin
  • Score: 3

11:12pm Mon 12 May 14

mancrobin says...

Just a further thought. Perhaps some of that ring fenced money should go in to lower leagues running their own local academies rather than big Premiership clubs doing the cuckoos nest trick they often do.

I am very proud of what we have done with the Thompson Bros but reality is that when a Premiership or Championship club comes knocking for them they will have to go, whether they want to or not. But at least they will go as our boys with all the sell on clauses. Equally, don't forget good loanees like Mass can become our own players.

Trade is better than aid. Separatism equals a spiral of decline, the gulf is just too big.

Of course, if I was a professional footballer with Messi's talent, I'd refuse to play for anyone except the Town. :) have to say actually, that the one player who did try to stay true to that was Joey Beachamp and how we loved him!
Just a further thought. Perhaps some of that ring fenced money should go in to lower leagues running their own local academies rather than big Premiership clubs doing the cuckoos nest trick they often do. I am very proud of what we have done with the Thompson Bros but reality is that when a Premiership or Championship club comes knocking for them they will have to go, whether they want to or not. But at least they will go as our boys with all the sell on clauses. Equally, don't forget good loanees like Mass can become our own players. Trade is better than aid. Separatism equals a spiral of decline, the gulf is just too big. Of course, if I was a professional footballer with Messi's talent, I'd refuse to play for anyone except the Town. :) have to say actually, that the one player who did try to stay true to that was Joey Beachamp and how we loved him! mancrobin
  • Score: 3

3:43am Tue 13 May 14

STFC Boyo says...

Well done Alex.Lets hope u come back 2 Swindon Town this season.
Well done Alex.Lets hope u come back 2 Swindon Town this season. STFC Boyo
  • Score: 0

7:53am Tue 13 May 14

Oi Den! says...

Manc, separatism is precisely what's got the game where it is today. In the days when loans (often with a view to buying) were few and far between and essentially a way of dealing with emergencies, we were all in the same League as the big boys. Any club could dream of making it to the top. The whole purpose of the Premier League was to concentrate the bulk of the money at the top - to create that separatism you dislike.

Now they want it all ways. They use their financial muscle to lure players to be part of vast squads but they don't want to look after them and they can't/won't play them because they are not sure they are good enough. So they rely on smaller clubs to try them out at no risk to themselves. They have used their money so that they hold the potential value but they send the players out to clubs who could have signed them in the first place if the game's structure was more sensible.

Whatever happened to players working their way to the the top? It used to be called apprenticeship. Now it seems that anyone with apparently better than average ability has to go straight to the top - on the off chance that they might make it. So they want to play real games in front of real people? Nothing wrong with that. If the game wasn't bonkers, they would be signing for clubs where they had a real chance of playing real games for real teams. That's the proper way for a player to prove his worth.
Manc, separatism is precisely what's got the game where it is today. In the days when loans (often with a view to buying) were few and far between and essentially a way of dealing with emergencies, we were all in the same League as the big boys. Any club could dream of making it to the top. The whole purpose of the Premier League was to concentrate the bulk of the money at the top - to create that separatism you dislike. Now they want it all ways. They use their financial muscle to lure players to be part of vast squads but they don't want to look after them and they can't/won't play them because they are not sure they are good enough. So they rely on smaller clubs to try them out at no risk to themselves. They have used their money so that they hold the potential value but they send the players out to clubs who could have signed them in the first place if the game's structure was more sensible. Whatever happened to players working their way to the the top? It used to be called apprenticeship. Now it seems that anyone with apparently better than average ability has to go straight to the top - on the off chance that they might make it. So they want to play real games in front of real people? Nothing wrong with that. If the game wasn't bonkers, they would be signing for clubs where they had a real chance of playing real games for real teams. That's the proper way for a player to prove his worth. Oi Den!
  • Score: 2

7:57am Tue 13 May 14

Oi Den! says...

By the way manc, sole less football? Definitely an innovation! Autocorrect doing it's worst I take it?!
By the way manc, sole less football? Definitely an innovation! Autocorrect doing it's worst I take it?! Oi Den!
  • Score: 0

5:54pm Tue 13 May 14

mancrobin says...

Oi Den! wrote:
By the way manc, sole less football? Definitely an innovation! Autocorrect doing it's worst I take it?!
No I meant that way Den as I'm advocating a return to grassroots. :)

As ever you make good points but not so sure I buy them. Maybe clubs could dream of climbing up but that, as today was the exception. The football league pyramid has remained remarkably permanent and I don't think that will change. In fact, it has probably become more fluid since the introduction of greater numbers being promoted/relegated each year.

My point is more about the growing scale of financial difference between the Premiership and the rest. The increasing scale of parachute payment are testament to that. So, you're right why do the Prem clubs lure players with all their money and not play. Why not put money into a pool for lower league clubs so as we can do it for them?
[quote][p][bold]Oi Den![/bold] wrote: By the way manc, sole less football? Definitely an innovation! Autocorrect doing it's worst I take it?![/p][/quote]No I meant that way Den as I'm advocating a return to grassroots. :) As ever you make good points but not so sure I buy them. Maybe clubs could dream of climbing up but that, as today was the exception. The football league pyramid has remained remarkably permanent and I don't think that will change. In fact, it has probably become more fluid since the introduction of greater numbers being promoted/relegated each year. My point is more about the growing scale of financial difference between the Premiership and the rest. The increasing scale of parachute payment are testament to that. So, you're right why do the Prem clubs lure players with all their money and not play. Why not put money into a pool for lower league clubs so as we can do it for them? mancrobin
  • Score: 1

Comments are closed on this article.

click2find

Get Adobe Flash player
About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree