THINGS continue to go from bad to worse for many teams from the Trowbridge Windows & Conservatories Trowbridge & District League as for a seventh successive week the weather played its part, forcing 11 of the scheduled 14 league and Junior Cup fixtures to be postponed.

It means that since the rain first disrupted things in December, only 27 matches have been played.

Everything remains as it was in Division One and Two with all eight games being lost to waterlogged pitches.

The two league matches that survived were in Division Three and the fixture between Polenez Westbury and Holt only went ahead after it was moved from Leighton Sports Ground to Holt’s own High Street pitch.

After beating Polenez 9-0 at the same venue just three weeks ago Ben Hogg’s table toppers would have expected a repeat of that scoreline, but the visitors to Holt conjured up one of the biggest shocks of the season after claiming a 3-2 success that was achieved with just 10 men.

Polenez, who arrived at Holt with no victory in their previous 10 outings, tore the formbook up as they not only overcome a title-chasing Holt side they had to battle through the mud and rain to claim what was their greatest ever result since they entered the league back in 2012.

Holt, who needed the victory to be certain of a top two finish, paid the ultimate price for their complacency as a first-half double from Matek Kloc gave Polenez a 2-0 interval lead.

After the break Holt halved the deficit through Tom Wade and with the conditions starting to worsen and the undermanned Polenez side starting to tire it looked as if it would only be a matter of time before Holt got themselves back on level terms.

The next goal was always going to prove vital and with a second wind it was Polenez who increased their lead with Wayne Pearman netting to restore their two-goal advantage.

Tom Wade pulled a second goal back for Holt, but it was a case of too little, too late as Polenez saw out time to claim a fantastic victory that means Ben Hogg’s side still need a couple of points from their remaining games against White Horse and Trowbridge Rangers to claim an automatic promotion spot.

Marshfield FC 3 Zeals FC 0

WITH Marshfield and Zeals set to meet each other again in a fortnight’s time the first clash of the campaign between the villagers saw the former put down a marker for the return clash as they claimed a 3-0 victory that saw them move into third place in the standings, three points clear of United FC, who they are scheduled to go head-to-head with next weekend.

Marshfield opened the scoring in the tenth minute through debutant, Jamie Bowler.

Jeremy Bond doubled the hosts lead on 20 minutes and Marshfield threatened to run away with the game after that but the visitors battled really well to keep the score down and although their defence was breached for a third time it wasn’t until late in the game when Andy Jefferies fired home his 15th goal of the season to seal victory for the home side.