SWINDON TOWN: Power forks out initial £100k on new striker Smith

The Wiltshire Gazette and Herald: Michael Smith has yet to be confirmed as a Swindon Town player Michael Smith has yet to be confirmed as a Swindon Town player

SWINDON Town owner Lee Power has splashed the cash to land Charlton Athletic striker Michael Smith for an initial £100,000.

The Advertiser understands the Robins will pay the Addicks half the headline figure of £200,000 which was reported as the fee for the forward yesterday, with a further £100,000 potentially due in add-ons.

Charlton are believed to have inserted a sell-on clause into the deal, through which the Championship outfit will be owed a percentage of any profit the Robins make on the 22-year-old.

Swindon have been monitoring Smith for several months and showed an interest in the hitman, who scored 10 goals in 25 appearances on loan at AFC Wimbledon earlier this season, over the course of the summer. He is believed to have signed a two-and-a-half deal in Wiltshire.

According to reports in London, Addicks boss Chris Powell recently revealed that more than 10 clubs had enquired about the Geordie but Smith has picked Swindon above the likes of Bury and Southend.

The frontman, who worked under Town manager Mark Cooper during their time at Darlington, took to Twitter yesterday to speak about his move.

He wrote: “Loved my time at (Charlton) cant thank the club and fans enough for their support over the years! Wish the club all the best for the future! Looking forward to the next few years with Swindon, cant wait to get started.”

As the Adver went to print last night, Town had still yet to confirm the signing of Smith.

Comments (49)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

6:03am Thu 23 Jan 14

Chish and Fips says...

Welcome aboard Michael ...
Welcome aboard Michael ... Chish and Fips

6:27am Thu 23 Jan 14

louiscassius says...

Welcome aboard the South Western Power Express!!
Welcome aboard the South Western Power Express!! louiscassius

6:37am Thu 23 Jan 14

dazzastfc says...

welcome to STFC Lets hope you are a big hit at are club...

I would have thought are main target would have been a DEFENDER but what do i no...???
welcome to STFC Lets hope you are a big hit at are club... I would have thought are main target would have been a DEFENDER but what do i no...??? dazzastfc

7:01am Thu 23 Jan 14

Graham8181 says...

Welcome aboard now for the slightly more important position to fill - a defender !!
Welcome aboard now for the slightly more important position to fill - a defender !! Graham8181

7:17am Thu 23 Jan 14

oz ashes says...

great signing this now ranger really has to toe the line otherwise he will be out for good
great signing this now ranger really has to toe the line otherwise he will be out for good oz ashes

7:28am Thu 23 Jan 14

california andy says...

Charlton folks seem to think he never got a chance there. Has the size and by all accounts the touch, and with the uncertainty surrounding Ranger, I think this may prove a smart move. IF he went AWOL for any reason - legal or otherwise - we previously had no-one to step in and play that role. Smith is barely 22, and - guess what - our manager has previously coached him. I suppose that just maybe Cooper has some input into player recruitment after all. Let's hope he got this one right and we have a useful big man/goalscorer on our hands.
Charlton folks seem to think he never got a chance there. Has the size and by all accounts the touch, and with the uncertainty surrounding Ranger, I think this may prove a smart move. IF he went AWOL for any reason - legal or otherwise - we previously had no-one to step in and play that role. Smith is barely 22, and - guess what - our manager has previously coached him. I suppose that just maybe Cooper has some input into player recruitment after all. Let's hope he got this one right and we have a useful big man/goalscorer on our hands. california andy

7:46am Thu 23 Jan 14

stranglers says...

"Picked Swindon above the likes of Bury & Southend" wow, now there's an endorsement.
"Picked Swindon above the likes of Bury & Southend" wow, now there's an endorsement. stranglers

7:51am Thu 23 Jan 14

old town robin says...

Strange Cooper or the club haven't confirmed the signing, wonder if there are still some issues with the media.

Anyway hope Michael settles in and gives a good account of himself. if Nile is fit doubt he will go straight in to starting eleven, I would think him and Barker will be on the bench for Saturday, but would expect them to feature at some stage.
Strange Cooper or the club haven't confirmed the signing, wonder if there are still some issues with the media. Anyway hope Michael settles in and gives a good account of himself. if Nile is fit doubt he will go straight in to starting eleven, I would think him and Barker will be on the bench for Saturday, but would expect them to feature at some stage. old town robin

7:56am Thu 23 Jan 14

old town robin says...

california andy wrote:
Charlton folks seem to think he never got a chance there. Has the size and by all accounts the touch, and with the uncertainty surrounding Ranger, I think this may prove a smart move. IF he went AWOL for any reason - legal or otherwise - we previously had no-one to step in and play that role. Smith is barely 22, and - guess what - our manager has previously coached him. I suppose that just maybe Cooper has some input into player recruitment after all. Let's hope he got this one right and we have a useful big man/goalscorer on our hands.
If he does as well for us as the last signing from Charlton (Benson), he'll be considered to be a good asset for the future.
[quote][p][bold]california andy[/bold] wrote: Charlton folks seem to think he never got a chance there. Has the size and by all accounts the touch, and with the uncertainty surrounding Ranger, I think this may prove a smart move. IF he went AWOL for any reason - legal or otherwise - we previously had no-one to step in and play that role. Smith is barely 22, and - guess what - our manager has previously coached him. I suppose that just maybe Cooper has some input into player recruitment after all. Let's hope he got this one right and we have a useful big man/goalscorer on our hands.[/p][/quote]If he does as well for us as the last signing from Charlton (Benson), he'll be considered to be a good asset for the future. old town robin

7:58am Thu 23 Jan 14

Billy hunt 65 says...

Ranger is a gangsta :)) power :))
Ranger is a gangsta :)) power :)) Billy hunt 65

8:11am Thu 23 Jan 14

The artist formerly known as Marmite Soldier says...

It seems to me the club are making a rod for their own back regarding keeping this transfer secret.

They have castigated Sam Morshead for reporting what he saw about Nile Ranger on social media, then by adopting a 'we'll tell you what we want you to know, when we want you to know it' attitude, they force the Adver to use the likes of Twitter for their story sources.

In doing so they can have no complaint when it prints what it has to find out that way.
It seems to me the club are making a rod for their own back regarding keeping this transfer secret. They have castigated Sam Morshead for reporting what he saw about Nile Ranger on social media, then by adopting a 'we'll tell you what we want you to know, when we want you to know it' attitude, they force the Adver to use the likes of Twitter for their story sources. In doing so they can have no complaint when it prints what it has to find out that way. The artist formerly known as Marmite Soldier

8:39am Thu 23 Jan 14

you gots ta be kidding me says...

Guys

It seems to me that the adver may have ironed out their differences, but FLIC wiltshire seem to be reporting this as fact yesterday, maybe the adver can report on match days and be at press conferences, but this would point towards a partial reconciliation rather than a full marraige....
Guys It seems to me that the adver may have ironed out their differences, but FLIC wiltshire seem to be reporting this as fact yesterday, maybe the adver can report on match days and be at press conferences, but this would point towards a partial reconciliation rather than a full marraige.... you gots ta be kidding me

8:43am Thu 23 Jan 14

you gots ta be kidding me says...

Just looked at FLIC and they have it confirmed by Power with an exclusive interview about the player joining......
Just looked at FLIC and they have it confirmed by Power with an exclusive interview about the player joining...... you gots ta be kidding me

8:58am Thu 23 Jan 14

Krazy Kammy says...

Who cares who found out what first ! This isn't primary school FFS. We should be happy that we now have a signed a striker on a perm deal who has a record of scoring goals. No more worrying if Ranger is going to show up or not as now we have a back up plan.
Who cares who found out what first ! This isn't primary school FFS. We should be happy that we now have a signed a striker on a perm deal who has a record of scoring goals. No more worrying if Ranger is going to show up or not as now we have a back up plan. Krazy Kammy

9:08am Thu 23 Jan 14

stfc2012 says...

Power saying silly buggers. All is not forgiven and the beef between SM and Power will carry on. More to it than just Ranger issue. Power doesn't like it that Sam actually sticks his nose in and gets lots of info from many credible sources - most of which can't be printed. Power had a chance to end this squabble but has chosen for it to continue with this latest holding back info on the transfer. For those that slate Sam, he actually seems to get right in there and doesn't settle for what what many sports reporters do and agree with u a they will print what the club wants for exclusives. I wonder if Sam has any info on the whole Sangita Shah audit or any of the court action in progress?

Football wise lets hope this new lad can give us an edge and that we knock it up to him rather than sideways passing for 90 mins. Like to see him get a few goals early on to settle. Looking forward to the next game.
Power saying silly buggers. All is not forgiven and the beef between SM and Power will carry on. More to it than just Ranger issue. Power doesn't like it that Sam actually sticks his nose in and gets lots of info from many credible sources - most of which can't be printed. Power had a chance to end this squabble but has chosen for it to continue with this latest holding back info on the transfer. For those that slate Sam, he actually seems to get right in there and doesn't settle for what what many sports reporters do and agree with u a they will print what the club wants for exclusives. I wonder if Sam has any info on the whole Sangita Shah audit or any of the court action in progress? Football wise lets hope this new lad can give us an edge and that we knock it up to him rather than sideways passing for 90 mins. Like to see him get a few goals early on to settle. Looking forward to the next game. stfc2012

9:13am Thu 23 Jan 14

London Red says...

I thought most people knew Cooper and Williams were involved in transfer decisions
.
We all know Power does all the actual dealings but who is on the list has always been a group decision
.
Barker (Williams) and now Smith (Cooper) are prime examples
.
Why is neither confirming or denying an issue? Man U are doing the same over Mata and apparently done all of it through a 3rd party
.
The Adver and Sam in particular via Twitter are doing themselves no favours with their constant snipes as the club.
I thought most people knew Cooper and Williams were involved in transfer decisions . We all know Power does all the actual dealings but who is on the list has always been a group decision . Barker (Williams) and now Smith (Cooper) are prime examples . Why is neither confirming or denying an issue? Man U are doing the same over Mata and apparently done all of it through a 3rd party . The Adver and Sam in particular via Twitter are doing themselves no favours with their constant snipes as the club. London Red

9:16am Thu 23 Jan 14

oz ashes says...

stranglers wrote:
"Picked Swindon above the likes of Bury & Southend" wow, now there's an endorsement.
he wouldnt have signed for either of them anyway
where are they goin 100000 from
[quote][p][bold]stranglers[/bold] wrote: "Picked Swindon above the likes of Bury & Southend" wow, now there's an endorsement.[/p][/quote]he wouldnt have signed for either of them anyway where are they goin 100000 from oz ashes

9:18am Thu 23 Jan 14

oz ashes says...

oz ashes wrote:
stranglers wrote:
"Picked Swindon above the likes of Bury & Southend" wow, now there's an endorsement.
he wouldnt have signed for either of them anyway
where are they goin 100000 from
good to see power has got some cash to splash
but maybe someone is on their way out
[quote][p][bold]oz ashes[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]stranglers[/bold] wrote: "Picked Swindon above the likes of Bury & Southend" wow, now there's an endorsement.[/p][/quote]he wouldnt have signed for either of them anyway where are they goin 100000 from[/p][/quote]good to see power has got some cash to splash but maybe someone is on their way out oz ashes

9:23am Thu 23 Jan 14

you gots ta be kidding me says...

Krazy Kammy wrote:
Who cares who found out what first ! This isn't primary school FFS. We should be happy that we now have a signed a striker on a perm deal who has a record of scoring goals. No more worrying if Ranger is going to show up or not as now we have a back up plan.
Na na na na na....

Grumpy woke up the wrong side of the bed
[quote][p][bold]Krazy Kammy[/bold] wrote: Who cares who found out what first ! This isn't primary school FFS. We should be happy that we now have a signed a striker on a perm deal who has a record of scoring goals. No more worrying if Ranger is going to show up or not as now we have a back up plan.[/p][/quote]Na na na na na.... Grumpy woke up the wrong side of the bed you gots ta be kidding me

9:24am Thu 23 Jan 14

LeGod says...

welcome aboard Michael Smith and good luck in your STFC career.

As for the constant few who keep moaning about Power why dont you all just zip it and give the guy a break. He came into a mess has reduced our running costs, has assembled a young team that so far has done reasonbaly well, has forked out from his own pocket on Michael Smith what more do some of you want. Without any of these guys like Power we dont have a club.
He has got some great contacts in the game and at some very prestigious clubs so i dont know what some of you want. Yes we all want to be in the top 6 and in the championship but he has only been here a short while so we are consolidating on the mess he was left and hopefully we will move further forward next season.
There are not many people out there that are willing to put bags of money into a L1 team as they always go for the big clubs in the premier league or championship. We are a small club running on a small budget and unless some rich investor comes in which is probably unlikely this is the way it is.
The rich guy we did have pulled out and left us in a mess and nearly got us demoted to the conference.
If he didnt buy Smith and Ranger get banged up we are stuffed and without Power money we have no strikers.
Think again you Power bashers
welcome aboard Michael Smith and good luck in your STFC career. As for the constant few who keep moaning about Power why dont you all just zip it and give the guy a break. He came into a mess has reduced our running costs, has assembled a young team that so far has done reasonbaly well, has forked out from his own pocket on Michael Smith what more do some of you want. Without any of these guys like Power we dont have a club. He has got some great contacts in the game and at some very prestigious clubs so i dont know what some of you want. Yes we all want to be in the top 6 and in the championship but he has only been here a short while so we are consolidating on the mess he was left and hopefully we will move further forward next season. There are not many people out there that are willing to put bags of money into a L1 team as they always go for the big clubs in the premier league or championship. We are a small club running on a small budget and unless some rich investor comes in which is probably unlikely this is the way it is. The rich guy we did have pulled out and left us in a mess and nearly got us demoted to the conference. If he didnt buy Smith and Ranger get banged up we are stuffed and without Power money we have no strikers. Think again you Power bashers LeGod

9:29am Thu 23 Jan 14

London Red says...

This is the FLIC Wiltshire article
.
Town completed the signing of the 6ft 4in frontman late last night and Smith will be available to face Shrewsbury on Saturday.
Three other clubs were interested in securing the signature of Smith with one of those clubs reportedly having an offer accepted. FLIC Wiltshire understand that MK Dons, Coventry and Bury were the clubs in question.
The signing of Smith was for an undisclosed fee but FLIC understand that the actual fee was in the region of £200,000.
Swindon Town Chairman Lee Power spoke exclusively to FLIC Wiltshire and had this to say on the signing.
"We are very excited with this signing. Coops (Mark Cooper) worked with him before at Darlington so he knows the boy inside out. We have been tracking him all season and he scored plenty of goals at AFC Wimbledon in a really good loan spell there.
"We believe that he can score goals at this level and at the next level. We are looking forward to working with him and making him a big asset for this football club."
Town Boss Mark Cooper worked with Smith when the pair were at Darlington together and Cooper is thrilled to have got his man.
"The big thing with Michael is that he wants to be at this football club, he wants to improve and he will give everything he has got in every minute he plays.
"He's a very good footballer, he's a big lad, he's 6ft 4in but he's mobile and he will chip in with goals too. I think the fans will take to him straight away because his work rate is very high."
Cooper also confirmed that Smith will go straight into the squad to face Shrewsbury at The County Ground on Saturday.
Smith worked under Mark Cooper at Darlington, scoring six goals in 37 appearances before securing a move to Charlton for an undisclosed fee in 2011. Smith only made two appearances for the Addicks and had loan spells at Accrington Stanley, Newport and Colchester United.
The 22 year-old forward enjoyed a fruitful stint at AFC Wimbledon in the first half of this season, notching ten goals in 25 appearances.
This is the FLIC Wiltshire article . Town completed the signing of the 6ft 4in frontman late last night and Smith will be available to face Shrewsbury on Saturday. Three other clubs were interested in securing the signature of Smith with one of those clubs reportedly having an offer accepted. FLIC Wiltshire understand that MK Dons, Coventry and Bury were the clubs in question. The signing of Smith was for an undisclosed fee but FLIC understand that the actual fee was in the region of £200,000. Swindon Town Chairman Lee Power spoke exclusively to FLIC Wiltshire and had this to say on the signing. "We are very excited with this signing. Coops (Mark Cooper) worked with him before at Darlington so he knows the boy inside out. We have been tracking him all season and he scored plenty of goals at AFC Wimbledon in a really good loan spell there. "We believe that he can score goals at this level and at the next level. We are looking forward to working with him and making him a big asset for this football club." Town Boss Mark Cooper worked with Smith when the pair were at Darlington together and Cooper is thrilled to have got his man. "The big thing with Michael is that he wants to be at this football club, he wants to improve and he will give everything he has got in every minute he plays. "He's a very good footballer, he's a big lad, he's 6ft 4in but he's mobile and he will chip in with goals too. I think the fans will take to him straight away because his work rate is very high." Cooper also confirmed that Smith will go straight into the squad to face Shrewsbury at The County Ground on Saturday. Smith worked under Mark Cooper at Darlington, scoring six goals in 37 appearances before securing a move to Charlton for an undisclosed fee in 2011. Smith only made two appearances for the Addicks and had loan spells at Accrington Stanley, Newport and Colchester United. The 22 year-old forward enjoyed a fruitful stint at AFC Wimbledon in the first half of this season, notching ten goals in 25 appearances. London Red

9:30am Thu 23 Jan 14

LeGod says...

Says it all as well with Adam Rooney looking to go to Aberdeen in a third rate league and just shows Power was right not to pay him what was offered by the original board which we understand was an absolute ridiculous figure for a very average player and looking to now play in the equivalent of L2.
Well lets hope Rooney gets enough in his transfer move to drop the legal case with us.
Says it all as well with Adam Rooney looking to go to Aberdeen in a third rate league and just shows Power was right not to pay him what was offered by the original board which we understand was an absolute ridiculous figure for a very average player and looking to now play in the equivalent of L2. Well lets hope Rooney gets enough in his transfer move to drop the legal case with us. LeGod

9:31am Thu 23 Jan 14

MITTED says...

old town robin wrote:
Strange Cooper or the club haven't confirmed the signing, wonder if there are still some issues with the media.

Anyway hope Michael settles in and gives a good account of himself. if Nile is fit doubt he will go straight in to starting eleven, I would think him and Barker will be on the bench for Saturday, but would expect them to feature at some stage.
Probably don't want Sam to tweet it before the teamsheets are handed in on Saturday, just in case their manager changes his lineup!
[quote][p][bold]old town robin[/bold] wrote: Strange Cooper or the club haven't confirmed the signing, wonder if there are still some issues with the media. Anyway hope Michael settles in and gives a good account of himself. if Nile is fit doubt he will go straight in to starting eleven, I would think him and Barker will be on the bench for Saturday, but would expect them to feature at some stage.[/p][/quote]Probably don't want Sam to tweet it before the teamsheets are handed in on Saturday, just in case their manager changes his lineup! MITTED

9:35am Thu 23 Jan 14

London Red says...

If we play him up with Ranger and have N'Guessan out wide right along with Ward and Branco we will have plenty of height in the team for both attacking and defending set pieces!
.
On Sat I would love to see 442 as follows:
.
Foderingham
Thompson Ward Branco Byrne
N'Guessan Kasim Harley Pritchard
Ranger Smith
.
Bench: Bulford, McEveley, Mason, Luongo, Thompson, Storey, Barker
If we play him up with Ranger and have N'Guessan out wide right along with Ward and Branco we will have plenty of height in the team for both attacking and defending set pieces! . On Sat I would love to see 442 as follows: . Foderingham Thompson Ward Branco Byrne N'Guessan Kasim Harley Pritchard Ranger Smith . Bench: Bulford, McEveley, Mason, Luongo, Thompson, Storey, Barker London Red

9:36am Thu 23 Jan 14

Swindonian63 says...

LeGod wrote:
welcome aboard Michael Smith and good luck in your STFC career.

As for the constant few who keep moaning about Power why dont you all just zip it and give the guy a break. He came into a mess has reduced our running costs, has assembled a young team that so far has done reasonbaly well, has forked out from his own pocket on Michael Smith what more do some of you want. Without any of these guys like Power we dont have a club.
He has got some great contacts in the game and at some very prestigious clubs so i dont know what some of you want. Yes we all want to be in the top 6 and in the championship but he has only been here a short while so we are consolidating on the mess he was left and hopefully we will move further forward next season.
There are not many people out there that are willing to put bags of money into a L1 team as they always go for the big clubs in the premier league or championship. We are a small club running on a small budget and unless some rich investor comes in which is probably unlikely this is the way it is.
The rich guy we did have pulled out and left us in a mess and nearly got us demoted to the conference.
If he didnt buy Smith and Ranger get banged up we are stuffed and without Power money we have no strikers.
Think again you Power bashers
Well said.
[quote][p][bold]LeGod[/bold] wrote: welcome aboard Michael Smith and good luck in your STFC career. As for the constant few who keep moaning about Power why dont you all just zip it and give the guy a break. He came into a mess has reduced our running costs, has assembled a young team that so far has done reasonbaly well, has forked out from his own pocket on Michael Smith what more do some of you want. Without any of these guys like Power we dont have a club. He has got some great contacts in the game and at some very prestigious clubs so i dont know what some of you want. Yes we all want to be in the top 6 and in the championship but he has only been here a short while so we are consolidating on the mess he was left and hopefully we will move further forward next season. There are not many people out there that are willing to put bags of money into a L1 team as they always go for the big clubs in the premier league or championship. We are a small club running on a small budget and unless some rich investor comes in which is probably unlikely this is the way it is. The rich guy we did have pulled out and left us in a mess and nearly got us demoted to the conference. If he didnt buy Smith and Ranger get banged up we are stuffed and without Power money we have no strikers. Think again you Power bashers[/p][/quote]Well said. Swindonian63

9:38am Thu 23 Jan 14

London Red says...

Thought the PFA got involved in the Rooney case and agreed his deal wasn't signed off correctly so it could be null and void by us
Thought the PFA got involved in the Rooney case and agreed his deal wasn't signed off correctly so it could be null and void by us London Red

9:43am Thu 23 Jan 14

Old-Stager, Hilperton says...

stranglers wrote:
"Picked Swindon above the likes of Bury & Southend" wow, now there's an endorsement.
I suppose that you would like to think he picked Swindon Town above the likes of Arsenal & Manchester City.
[quote][p][bold]stranglers[/bold] wrote: "Picked Swindon above the likes of Bury & Southend" wow, now there's an endorsement.[/p][/quote]I suppose that you would like to think he picked Swindon Town above the likes of Arsenal & Manchester City. Old-Stager, Hilperton

9:58am Thu 23 Jan 14

London Red says...

It was above MK and Coventry - both decent teams
It was above MK and Coventry - both decent teams London Red

10:25am Thu 23 Jan 14

harley red says...

dazzastfc wrote:
welcome to STFC Lets hope you are a big hit at are club...

I would have thought are main target would have been a DEFENDER but what do i no...???
Don't see why you got so much negative response , I thought a defender would be priority with the crap we have got at the back. We may get someone on a free will have to wait and see .
[quote][p][bold]dazzastfc[/bold] wrote: welcome to STFC Lets hope you are a big hit at are club... I would have thought are main target would have been a DEFENDER but what do i no...???[/p][/quote]Don't see why you got so much negative response , I thought a defender would be priority with the crap we have got at the back. We may get someone on a free will have to wait and see . harley red

10:32am Thu 23 Jan 14

Oi Den! says...

This was the bit I liked: "The big thing with Michael is that he wants to be at this football club, he wants to improve and he will give everything he has got in every minute he plays." If that's true he's getting off to a good start. It's just the attitude we need.

Time will tell us whether he's a good signing or not. However, it makes a nice change to see an "independent" signing who wants to be with us, rather than another one parachuted in from the Spurs/Brighton connection.
This was the bit I liked: "The big thing with Michael is that he wants to be at this football club, he wants to improve and he will give everything he has got in every minute he plays." If that's true he's getting off to a good start. It's just the attitude we need. Time will tell us whether he's a good signing or not. However, it makes a nice change to see an "independent" signing who wants to be with us, rather than another one parachuted in from the Spurs/Brighton connection. Oi Den!

10:40am Thu 23 Jan 14

harley red says...

LeGod wrote:
welcome aboard Michael Smith and good luck in your STFC career.

As for the constant few who keep moaning about Power why dont you all just zip it and give the guy a break. He came into a mess has reduced our running costs, has assembled a young team that so far has done reasonbaly well, has forked out from his own pocket on Michael Smith what more do some of you want. Without any of these guys like Power we dont have a club.
He has got some great contacts in the game and at some very prestigious clubs so i dont know what some of you want. Yes we all want to be in the top 6 and in the championship but he has only been here a short while so we are consolidating on the mess he was left and hopefully we will move further forward next season.
There are not many people out there that are willing to put bags of money into a L1 team as they always go for the big clubs in the premier league or championship. We are a small club running on a small budget and unless some rich investor comes in which is probably unlikely this is the way it is.
The rich guy we did have pulled out and left us in a mess and nearly got us demoted to the conference.
If he didnt buy Smith and Ranger get banged up we are stuffed and without Power money we have no strikers.
Think again you Power bashers
POWER has so say been bust twice a real good cv
[quote][p][bold]LeGod[/bold] wrote: welcome aboard Michael Smith and good luck in your STFC career. As for the constant few who keep moaning about Power why dont you all just zip it and give the guy a break. He came into a mess has reduced our running costs, has assembled a young team that so far has done reasonbaly well, has forked out from his own pocket on Michael Smith what more do some of you want. Without any of these guys like Power we dont have a club. He has got some great contacts in the game and at some very prestigious clubs so i dont know what some of you want. Yes we all want to be in the top 6 and in the championship but he has only been here a short while so we are consolidating on the mess he was left and hopefully we will move further forward next season. There are not many people out there that are willing to put bags of money into a L1 team as they always go for the big clubs in the premier league or championship. We are a small club running on a small budget and unless some rich investor comes in which is probably unlikely this is the way it is. The rich guy we did have pulled out and left us in a mess and nearly got us demoted to the conference. If he didnt buy Smith and Ranger get banged up we are stuffed and without Power money we have no strikers. Think again you Power bashers[/p][/quote]POWER has so say been bust twice a real good cv harley red

10:47am Thu 23 Jan 14

london paolo says...

With Sherwood now manager at Spurs and switching to a 4-4-2 from the 4-2-3-1 they played previously, it will be interesting to see if we now do the same. Certainly we played 4-2-3-1 in the first part of the season, whether or not that was because we were 'obliged' to mirror Spurs formation is open to conjecture. Certainly Spurs are now more attacking, more direct (and more successful) under Sherwood than under AVB.
With Sherwood now manager at Spurs and switching to a 4-4-2 from the 4-2-3-1 they played previously, it will be interesting to see if we now do the same. Certainly we played 4-2-3-1 in the first part of the season, whether or not that was because we were 'obliged' to mirror Spurs formation is open to conjecture. Certainly Spurs are now more attacking, more direct (and more successful) under Sherwood than under AVB. london paolo

10:57am Thu 23 Jan 14

LeGod says...

Harley Red -There are alot of well known people in business that have companies that have gone bust including the likes of Richard Branson in fact if you have ewver read his book he has had many failed businesses.

So what if Power has gone bust - you learn by your mistakes and Power has the balls to do it again. Business whatever you decide to get involved in is a risk and i bet you Harley Red havent got the balls to set up your own business if you have then you will realise what pressure is about.
Harley Red -There are alot of well known people in business that have companies that have gone bust including the likes of Richard Branson in fact if you have ewver read his book he has had many failed businesses. So what if Power has gone bust - you learn by your mistakes and Power has the balls to do it again. Business whatever you decide to get involved in is a risk and i bet you Harley Red havent got the balls to set up your own business if you have then you will realise what pressure is about. LeGod

11:16am Thu 23 Jan 14

Bassett Hound says...

LeGod wrote:
Harley Red -There are alot of well known people in business that have companies that have gone bust including the likes of Richard Branson in fact if you have ewver read his book he has had many failed businesses.

So what if Power has gone bust - you learn by your mistakes and Power has the balls to do it again. Business whatever you decide to get involved in is a risk and i bet you Harley Red havent got the balls to set up your own business if you have then you will realise what pressure is about.
You are posting well today LeGod !
[quote][p][bold]LeGod[/bold] wrote: Harley Red -There are alot of well known people in business that have companies that have gone bust including the likes of Richard Branson in fact if you have ewver read his book he has had many failed businesses. So what if Power has gone bust - you learn by your mistakes and Power has the balls to do it again. Business whatever you decide to get involved in is a risk and i bet you Harley Red havent got the balls to set up your own business if you have then you will realise what pressure is about.[/p][/quote]You are posting well today LeGod ! Bassett Hound

11:36am Thu 23 Jan 14

Cleuso says...

stfc2012 wrote:
Power saying silly buggers. All is not forgiven and the beef between SM and Power will carry on. More to it than just Ranger issue. Power doesn't like it that Sam actually sticks his nose in and gets lots of info from many credible sources - most of which can't be printed. Power had a chance to end this squabble but has chosen for it to continue with this latest holding back info on the transfer. For those that slate Sam, he actually seems to get right in there and doesn't settle for what what many sports reporters do and agree with u a they will print what the club wants for exclusives. I wonder if Sam has any info on the whole Sangita Shah audit or any of the court action in progress?

Football wise lets hope this new lad can give us an edge and that we knock it up to him rather than sideways passing for 90 mins. Like to see him get a few goals early on to settle. Looking forward to the next game.
Nothing like a good conspiracy theory eh 2012 ?
[quote][p][bold]stfc2012[/bold] wrote: Power saying silly buggers. All is not forgiven and the beef between SM and Power will carry on. More to it than just Ranger issue. Power doesn't like it that Sam actually sticks his nose in and gets lots of info from many credible sources - most of which can't be printed. Power had a chance to end this squabble but has chosen for it to continue with this latest holding back info on the transfer. For those that slate Sam, he actually seems to get right in there and doesn't settle for what what many sports reporters do and agree with u a they will print what the club wants for exclusives. I wonder if Sam has any info on the whole Sangita Shah audit or any of the court action in progress? Football wise lets hope this new lad can give us an edge and that we knock it up to him rather than sideways passing for 90 mins. Like to see him get a few goals early on to settle. Looking forward to the next game.[/p][/quote]Nothing like a good conspiracy theory eh 2012 ? Cleuso

11:39am Thu 23 Jan 14

London Red says...

Den - your right makes a refreshing change from Branco (Whitehawks) Kasim (Luton) Ranger (Newcastle) Tijane (Chavas) Belford (Liverpool) N'Guessan (Millwall) Smith.A (Fulham), El Gabbas (Lierse) Gladwin (Marlowe) and Ajose (Posh) all from other clubs!
.
Personally I don't care if players like Barker and even Smith.M join due to links elsewhere as our Managemt team have worked with them before - In fact it should be better as they either "swear by the boy" or "knows him inside out" - which while is still a risk as all signings are but it's a calculated risk!
Den - your right makes a refreshing change from Branco (Whitehawks) Kasim (Luton) Ranger (Newcastle) Tijane (Chavas) Belford (Liverpool) N'Guessan (Millwall) Smith.A (Fulham), El Gabbas (Lierse) Gladwin (Marlowe) and Ajose (Posh) all from other clubs! . Personally I don't care if players like Barker and even Smith.M join due to links elsewhere as our Managemt team have worked with them before - In fact it should be better as they either "swear by the boy" or "knows him inside out" - which while is still a risk as all signings are but it's a calculated risk! London Red

11:46am Thu 23 Jan 14

the don69 says...

Yes I agree chaps very good attitude(take note Nile) any more dosh in the Swiss piggy-bank Lee? we could do with a central defender and midfield player!!!!
Yes I agree chaps very good attitude(take note Nile) any more dosh in the Swiss piggy-bank Lee? we could do with a central defender and midfield player!!!! the don69

11:46am Thu 23 Jan 14

Cleuso says...

london paolo wrote:
With Sherwood now manager at Spurs and switching to a 4-4-2 from the 4-2-3-1 they played previously, it will be interesting to see if we now do the same. Certainly we played 4-2-3-1 in the first part of the season, whether or not that was because we were 'obliged' to mirror Spurs formation is open to conjecture. Certainly Spurs are now more attacking, more direct (and more successful) under Sherwood than under AVB.
Who cares what Spurs do, they play in a different league ???. The idea we have to play the same way is nothing more than an internet myth .....others for example have likened us to Barcelona....

If we lump a few balls forward from keeper an score a few goals from one touch are we going to be labelled the "new" Wimbledon?

The main thing isthat we are trying to play football on the ground...formations change all the time in games , players are not robots... as was said in the article about Ossie, his team played silky smooth on the ground football pass an move football..no one likened that to Tottenham at the time, yet no doubt there was some similarity ...and that was with the same team previously playing the previous season in a style more like that famed by "Wimbledon!
[quote][p][bold]london paolo[/bold] wrote: With Sherwood now manager at Spurs and switching to a 4-4-2 from the 4-2-3-1 they played previously, it will be interesting to see if we now do the same. Certainly we played 4-2-3-1 in the first part of the season, whether or not that was because we were 'obliged' to mirror Spurs formation is open to conjecture. Certainly Spurs are now more attacking, more direct (and more successful) under Sherwood than under AVB.[/p][/quote]Who cares what Spurs do, they play in a different league ???. The idea we have to play the same way is nothing more than an internet myth .....others for example have likened us to Barcelona.... If we lump a few balls forward from keeper an score a few goals from one touch are we going to be labelled the "new" Wimbledon? The main thing isthat we are trying to play football on the ground...formations change all the time in games , players are not robots... as was said in the article about Ossie, his team played silky smooth on the ground football pass an move football..no one likened that to Tottenham at the time, yet no doubt there was some similarity ...and that was with the same team previously playing the previous season in a style more like that famed by "Wimbledon! Cleuso

11:51am Thu 23 Jan 14

London Red says...

Also we have played 460, 532, 451 as well as the 4231/433 this year - so shows we don't simply do what Spurs tell us to
.
Also the fact Mason and Pritchard have both been on the bench shows they don't have to start every game!
.
But hey lets not facts get in the way of a good old myth!
Also we have played 460, 532, 451 as well as the 4231/433 this year - so shows we don't simply do what Spurs tell us to . Also the fact Mason and Pritchard have both been on the bench shows they don't have to start every game! . But hey lets not facts get in the way of a good old myth! London Red

12:55pm Thu 23 Jan 14

stutest says...

Welcome Michael, I hope you have a successful career with us.

I think that Smith will be on the bench on Saturday.I would like to see Cooper mix it up a little., may be using a diamond formation in midfield. I also think it would be worth giving Nathan a go in the centre of defence, tough tackling, energetic some pace as well, surely worth a try.
So my team for Saturday :
Fodders

Bartram, Thompson (N), Branco, Mceverly

Harley
Luongo Kasim
Pritchard

Ranger Storey

I think we have done pretty well this season so far but my target has always been survival this season. With this in mind we need 5 more wins.
Of course if we get them quickly we can think about the playoffs. We need a new centre back and I would be surprised (but happy) if we get one before next season.
Welcome Michael, I hope you have a successful career with us. I think that Smith will be on the bench on Saturday.I would like to see Cooper mix it up a little., may be using a diamond formation in midfield. I also think it would be worth giving Nathan a go in the centre of defence, tough tackling, energetic some pace as well, surely worth a try. So my team for Saturday : Fodders Bartram, Thompson (N), Branco, Mceverly Harley Luongo Kasim Pritchard Ranger Storey I think we have done pretty well this season so far but my target has always been survival this season. With this in mind we need 5 more wins. Of course if we get them quickly we can think about the playoffs. We need a new centre back and I would be surprised (but happy) if we get one before next season. stutest

1:22pm Thu 23 Jan 14

Oi Den! says...

London Red wrote:
Also we have played 460, 532, 451 as well as the 4231/433 this year - so shows we don't simply do what Spurs tell us to
.
Also the fact Mason and Pritchard have both been on the bench shows they don't have to start every game!
.
But hey lets not facts get in the way of a good old myth!
Calm down LR. I wasn't suggesting all of our players are from the Spurs-Brighton axis, just that a lot of them are. I reckon we've relied too heavily on it and I believe it's part of the reason there's not enough spirit in the side (as shown by the dismal away form). We know that Smith has chosen to join us and is very keen. The Spurs players came in as a job lot. There is a difference.

And by the way, Kasim played for Spurs and Branco played for Brighton - but let's not let that get in the way of your "facts"!
[quote][p][bold]London Red[/bold] wrote: Also we have played 460, 532, 451 as well as the 4231/433 this year - so shows we don't simply do what Spurs tell us to . Also the fact Mason and Pritchard have both been on the bench shows they don't have to start every game! . But hey lets not facts get in the way of a good old myth![/p][/quote]Calm down LR. I wasn't suggesting all of our players are from the Spurs-Brighton axis, just that a lot of them are. I reckon we've relied too heavily on it and I believe it's part of the reason there's not enough spirit in the side (as shown by the dismal away form). We know that Smith has chosen to join us and is very keen. The Spurs players came in as a job lot. There is a difference. And by the way, Kasim played for Spurs and Branco played for Brighton - but let's not let that get in the way of your "facts"! Oi Den!

2:08pm Thu 23 Jan 14

Steve. Brentford says...

the don69 wrote:
Yes I agree chaps very good attitude(take note Nile) any more dosh in the Swiss piggy-bank Lee? we could do with a central defender and midfield player!!!!
Alright Don hope your well mate, i would like to make a point about this stupid thumbs up thumbs down shiiite for example Dazza mentions a defender and gets 7-8 thumbs down then a couple of others mention it and they get thumbs up including your good self now why dont they take that stupid option off of here then if and when folk agree or disagree they can post opinions/views instead of the thumb furkers pressing due to the person who is posting not the actual post itself, that said it bothers me less if my posts get thumbed or not so i will start the thumb furkers off with a inbred thumbs down.
[quote][p][bold]the don69[/bold] wrote: Yes I agree chaps very good attitude(take note Nile) any more dosh in the Swiss piggy-bank Lee? we could do with a central defender and midfield player!!!![/p][/quote]Alright Don hope your well mate, i would like to make a point about this stupid thumbs up thumbs down shiiite for example Dazza mentions a defender and gets 7-8 thumbs down then a couple of others mention it and they get thumbs up including your good self now why dont they take that stupid option off of here then if and when folk agree or disagree they can post opinions/views instead of the thumb furkers pressing due to the person who is posting not the actual post itself, that said it bothers me less if my posts get thumbed or not so i will start the thumb furkers off with a inbred thumbs down. Steve. Brentford

2:18pm Thu 23 Jan 14

Steve. Brentford says...

London Red wrote:
Also we have played 460, 532, 451 as well as the 4231/433 this year - so shows we don't simply do what Spurs tell us to
.
Also the fact Mason and Pritchard have both been on the bench shows they don't have to start every game!
.
But hey lets not facts get in the way of a good old myth!
Cor dont get your knickers in a twist luvey, have you actually seen all those formations played LR because i have not seen to many of your extra long match reports this season.
[quote][p][bold]London Red[/bold] wrote: Also we have played 460, 532, 451 as well as the 4231/433 this year - so shows we don't simply do what Spurs tell us to . Also the fact Mason and Pritchard have both been on the bench shows they don't have to start every game! . But hey lets not facts get in the way of a good old myth![/p][/quote]Cor dont get your knickers in a twist luvey, have you actually seen all those formations played LR because i have not seen to many of your extra long match reports this season. Steve. Brentford

2:35pm Thu 23 Jan 14

the don69 says...

Steve. Brentford wrote:
the don69 wrote:
Yes I agree chaps very good attitude(take note Nile) any more dosh in the Swiss piggy-bank Lee? we could do with a central defender and midfield player!!!!
Alright Don hope your well mate, i would like to make a point about this stupid thumbs up thumbs down shiiite for example Dazza mentions a defender and gets 7-8 thumbs down then a couple of others mention it and they get thumbs up including your good self now why dont they take that stupid option off of here then if and when folk agree or disagree they can post opinions/views instead of the thumb furkers pressing due to the person who is posting not the actual post itself, that said it bothers me less if my posts get thumbed or not so i will start the thumb furkers off with a inbred thumbs down.
Hi Steve,Yes the thumbs up or down cr@p should be given the boot,it's the kiddies button lol,I couldn't care less about it and just ignore it,as for formations it don't matter which one you play if the players ain't good enough! take the England team they could play any formation invented against Spain and still get thrashed LOL!!!!!!
[quote][p][bold]Steve. Brentford[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]the don69[/bold] wrote: Yes I agree chaps very good attitude(take note Nile) any more dosh in the Swiss piggy-bank Lee? we could do with a central defender and midfield player!!!![/p][/quote]Alright Don hope your well mate, i would like to make a point about this stupid thumbs up thumbs down shiiite for example Dazza mentions a defender and gets 7-8 thumbs down then a couple of others mention it and they get thumbs up including your good self now why dont they take that stupid option off of here then if and when folk agree or disagree they can post opinions/views instead of the thumb furkers pressing due to the person who is posting not the actual post itself, that said it bothers me less if my posts get thumbed or not so i will start the thumb furkers off with a inbred thumbs down.[/p][/quote]Hi Steve,Yes the thumbs up or down cr@p should be given the boot,it's the kiddies button lol,I couldn't care less about it and just ignore it,as for formations it don't matter which one you play if the players ain't good enough! take the England team they could play any formation invented against Spain and still get thrashed LOL!!!!!! the don69

3:16pm Thu 23 Jan 14

old town robin says...

MITTED wrote:
old town robin wrote:
Strange Cooper or the club haven't confirmed the signing, wonder if there are still some issues with the media.

Anyway hope Michael settles in and gives a good account of himself. if Nile is fit doubt he will go straight in to starting eleven, I would think him and Barker will be on the bench for Saturday, but would expect them to feature at some stage.
Probably don't want Sam to tweet it before the teamsheets are handed in on Saturday, just in case their manager changes his lineup!
MITTED, they haven't got a manager, but take your point,

If you were on a pre-match tour of the stadium, as a red herring what name would you put on a shirt and hang on the peg? For me I would have hung No 11 and retired the shirt in the name of the legend. lol
[quote][p][bold]MITTED[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]old town robin[/bold] wrote: Strange Cooper or the club haven't confirmed the signing, wonder if there are still some issues with the media. Anyway hope Michael settles in and gives a good account of himself. if Nile is fit doubt he will go straight in to starting eleven, I would think him and Barker will be on the bench for Saturday, but would expect them to feature at some stage.[/p][/quote]Probably don't want Sam to tweet it before the teamsheets are handed in on Saturday, just in case their manager changes his lineup![/p][/quote]MITTED, they haven't got a manager, but take your point, If you were on a pre-match tour of the stadium, as a red herring what name would you put on a shirt and hang on the peg? For me I would have hung No 11 and retired the shirt in the name of the legend. lol old town robin

3:22pm Thu 23 Jan 14

old town robin says...

you gots ta be kidding me wrote:
Krazy Kammy wrote:
Who cares who found out what first ! This isn't primary school FFS. We should be happy that we now have a signed a striker on a perm deal who has a record of scoring goals. No more worrying if Ranger is going to show up or not as now we have a back up plan.
Na na na na na....

Grumpy woke up the wrong side of the bed
na, na na, reminds me of the song, na na na, hey hey, goodbyeI probably apt if Shrews get relegated, but surely not your message to Krazy Kammy. Lol!
[quote][p][bold]you gots ta be kidding me[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Krazy Kammy[/bold] wrote: Who cares who found out what first ! This isn't primary school FFS. We should be happy that we now have a signed a striker on a perm deal who has a record of scoring goals. No more worrying if Ranger is going to show up or not as now we have a back up plan.[/p][/quote]Na na na na na.... Grumpy woke up the wrong side of the bed[/p][/quote]na, na na, reminds me of the song, na na na, hey hey, goodbyeI probably apt if Shrews get relegated, but surely not your message to Krazy Kammy. Lol! old town robin

3:26pm Thu 23 Jan 14

old town robin says...

London Red wrote:
If we play him up with Ranger and have N'Guessan out wide right along with Ward and Branco we will have plenty of height in the team for both attacking and defending set pieces!
.
On Sat I would love to see 442 as follows:
.
Foderingham
Thompson Ward Branco Byrne
N'Guessan Kasim Harley Pritchard
Ranger Smith
.
Bench: Bulford, McEveley, Mason, Luongo, Thompson, Storey, Barker
Do you plan to come down for this one LR, should be worth the train fare to see the changes, will be in the legend after 14.00 if you around for a pint.
[quote][p][bold]London Red[/bold] wrote: If we play him up with Ranger and have N'Guessan out wide right along with Ward and Branco we will have plenty of height in the team for both attacking and defending set pieces! . On Sat I would love to see 442 as follows: . Foderingham Thompson Ward Branco Byrne N'Guessan Kasim Harley Pritchard Ranger Smith . Bench: Bulford, McEveley, Mason, Luongo, Thompson, Storey, Barker[/p][/quote]Do you plan to come down for this one LR, should be worth the train fare to see the changes, will be in the legend after 14.00 if you around for a pint. old town robin

5:40pm Thu 23 Jan 14

dazzastfc says...

harley red wrote:
dazzastfc wrote:
welcome to STFC Lets hope you are a big hit at are club...

I would have thought are main target would have been a DEFENDER but what do i no...???
Don't see why you got so much negative response , I thought a defender would be priority with the crap we have got at the back. We may get someone on a free will have to wait and see .
Because they are all rose tinted know it all and would not know anything about a defence if it smacked then in the head with a baseball bat...
YOU KNOW WHAT THEY ARE LIKE...
They are not happy unless it is something they like
[quote][p][bold]harley red[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]dazzastfc[/bold] wrote: welcome to STFC Lets hope you are a big hit at are club... I would have thought are main target would have been a DEFENDER but what do i no...???[/p][/quote]Don't see why you got so much negative response , I thought a defender would be priority with the crap we have got at the back. We may get someone on a free will have to wait and see .[/p][/quote]Because they are all rose tinted know it all and would not know anything about a defence if it smacked then in the head with a baseball bat... YOU KNOW WHAT THEY ARE LIKE... They are not happy unless it is something they like dazzastfc

8:23pm Thu 23 Jan 14

The Jockster says...

Steve. Brentford wrote:
London Red wrote:
Also we have played 460, 532, 451 as well as the 4231/433 this year - so shows we don't simply do what Spurs tell us to
.
Also the fact Mason and Pritchard have both been on the bench shows they don't have to start every game!
.
But hey lets not facts get in the way of a good old myth!
Cor dont get your knickers in a twist luvey, have you actually seen all those formations played LR because i have not seen to many of your extra long match reports this season.
Ouch! The barbs of sarcasm Stevie boy- good though :)
[quote][p][bold]Steve. Brentford[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]London Red[/bold] wrote: Also we have played 460, 532, 451 as well as the 4231/433 this year - so shows we don't simply do what Spurs tell us to . Also the fact Mason and Pritchard have both been on the bench shows they don't have to start every game! . But hey lets not facts get in the way of a good old myth![/p][/quote]Cor dont get your knickers in a twist luvey, have you actually seen all those formations played LR because i have not seen to many of your extra long match reports this season.[/p][/quote]Ouch! The barbs of sarcasm Stevie boy- good though :) The Jockster

Comments are closed on this article.

click2find

Get Adobe Flash player
About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree