Get involved! Send photos, video, news & views. Text WILTS GAZETTE to 80360 or email us
RACING: Not so fast for Charlton's Al Kazeem
2:50pm Thursday 22nd August 2013 in Sport
AL KAZEEM will not be asked to race on fast ground again after his winning run came to an end when third in the Juddmonte International at York on Wednesday.
Trainer Roger Charlton had issued a warning beforehand he would have preferred softer ground for the five-year-old and believes three tough races on a brisk surface eventually took their toll.
The Beckhampton handler told his website, www.rogercharlton.com: "I suppose we took a bit of a bruising yesterday at York in the Juddmonte International with Al Kazeem suffering his first defeat since May last year, after a magnificent run of five straight wins in Group races, thankfully he has returned sound and very much in one piece.
"I thought that the fast ground was 90% responsible for his below par effort and the remaining 10% was perhaps due to him being too fresh after his break.
"We have always known that he appreciates some ease in the ground and it has only been his guts and determination that has seen him battle his way to his last three Group One victories.
"Unfortunately he was never happy on the ground yesterday and he kept a bit in reserve and he probably ran three or four lengths below his best form.
"Whenever or wherever he runs again it will not be on fast ground and his future races will be discussed with his owner and breeder in due course."
Al Kazeem's end-of-season options include the Qipco Champion Stakes at Ascot and the Prix de l'Arc de Triomphe at Longchamp.
MORE SPORTS NEWS & PICTURES IN THURSDAY'S GAZETTE & HERALD
Comments are closed on this article.