Get involved! Send photos, video, news & views. Text WILTS GAZETTE to 80360 or email us
SWINDON TOWN: Bids dry up as Paolo's warning works
SLAPPING a ‘not for sale’ sign across his Swindon Town squad appears to have worked for Paolo Di Canio, who has not received an offer for any of his players since.
The Robins boss made the statement last week, in the light of a rejected bid from Bradford for Aden Flint, as he let the rest of the Football League know he is not in the mood to allow anyone he deems to be an integral part of the first-team set-up leave the County Ground.
The message appears to have got through as he told the Advertiser, following Town’s 1-1 draw with Bournemouth on Saturday, that he has not had to deal with any further approaches in light of his remarks.
“It’s clear that after what I said in the last few days the message went around everywhere,” he said.
“Nobody can come close and ask me for some players because I want to desperately keep those two, you can imagine me selling one.
“I can repeat that if someone comes with crazy money I have to sacrifice someone, otherwise no chance because I want to keep hold of them.”
Meanwhile, Di Canio said he hopes that progress can be made in extending the loan spells of Danny Hollands and Chris Martin until the end of the season early this week.
The two players are currently contracted with the Robins until February 2, but Di Canio wants them to stay right through until May.
“I really think, I am really positive in the fact that something can happen in the next few days,” he said.
“I don’t think about stretching my squad and bringing other players, but keeping those two that are in here from other teams – we have to do everything, even if it’s not sure we can have a chance to go up or stay in the top six.
“You can see how Danny Hollands and Chris Martin played, how the others played next to them. Now there is a group, a team, a quality and we have to keep going.
“Jay McEveley we expect back in seven or eight days but in 20 days’ time we have to make sure that those two players extend their contracts until the end of the season.
“It’s clear that I don’t expect help from the board but at the moment we are working in a way that we can extend their loans and I will do everything, as I said before, I can help and support this.
“It would be a shame, it’s not an attack on anyone, to lose those players because we’re not talking about £1million or hundreds of thousands. I will do everything.”
Comments are closed on this article.