Get involved! Send photos, video, news & views. Text WILTS GAZETTE to 80360 or email us
Marlborough man is cleared of rape
9:47am Thursday 24th May 2012 in Marlborough
A Marlborough man accused of raping a woman has been cleared of any wrongdoing after prosecutors dropped the charge against him.
Simon Plank, of Purlyn Acre, Marlborough, was due to face trial in July after pleading not guilty to the allegation.
But prosecutors have decided there is insufficient evidence to proceed with the case against the 40-year-old and offered no evidence.
Tessa Hingston, for the Crown, said: “The reason for that, primarily, is the lack of support for the prosecution from the victim.
“In the particular circumstances of this case it is not appropriate to continue without her support.”
Judge Euan Ambrose, sitting at Swindon crown court yesterday, said: “The Crown have obviously considered it carefully: my function is limited.”
He passed a formal not guilty verdict on the heavily tattooed defendant, who appeared in the dock wearing a hoodie bearing the words ‘Keep calm and carry on drinking’.
Nadia Chabat, defending, said her client had attended one hearing at the magistrates court and three at the crown court.
She said it cost £5.10p on the bus each time and made a request for a defendant’s costs order of £20.40p be made.
Plank had been accused of carrying out the sex offence in Swindon on Saturday October 22 last year.
Comments are closed on this article.