8:00pm Friday 20th April 2012
Runners are expected to descend on Malmesbury for its first ever half marathon in September.
Places for runners in the event, which can be applied for from this week, are expected to fill quickly following the collapse of Chippen-ham’s half marathon this month.
Organiser James Higgs, of DB Max Race Timing, said: “The town council asked me if I could help them do something for the Olympics in Malmesbury, so I came up with the idea of the half marathon.
“Mayor Steve Cox and I approached a few local businesses and it resulted in Persimmon offering to be the sponsors for the race.”
The 13.1-mile event will take place on Sunday, September 23, starting in the High Street at 11am.
“With Chippenham being cancelled, this is giving people an opportunity to come to us as we are just up the road,” said Mr Higgs.
“Entries close a week before the race if it’s not full, but I anticipate it’s going to fill up.
“This is everyone’s opportunity to still raise money for charity.”
Runners will begin in the High Street and head out towards Norton, on to Easton Grey.
The route will then take them to Shipton Moyne and on to the Fosse Way for a little way before coming through Brokenborough on the way back to Malmesbury High Street.
About 30 runners were picked to run a trial of the route earlier in the year and it was deemed a success.
Paul Baker, president of Malmesbury Chamber of Commerce, said: “Anything that can get people into the town is great. The half marathon is good all round because it’s great for fitness and we just think it’s going to be good for the area as a whole.”
There will be places for up to 600 runners in this year’s event.
The website for the event, which opened yesterday, can be found at www.malmesburyhalfmarathon.co.uk The Malmesbury half marathon’s chosen charity is Prospect Hospice, Swindon, and Tetbury’s Hope for Tomorrow.
© Copyright 2001-2013 Newsquest Media Group