Concern at pill in porridge

Richard Broadhead, who found a medicine capsule, left, dissolving in his porridge from Sainsbury’s, Calne

Richard Broadhead, who found a medicine capsule, left, dissolving in his porridge from Sainsbury’s, Calne

First published in Calne

Supermarket chain Sainsbury’s has apologised after a local historian and author found an orange and white capsule in his porridge.

Mr Broadhead, of Hilmarton, ordered a packet of Sainsbury’s Scottish Oats as part of a home delivery in December and started eating it just before Christmas.

Three days after he opened the packet, he discovered the pill in his bowl, partially dissolved in the milk.

He rang the Sainsbury’s customer service helpline, which advised him to hand the porridge over to staff at his local branch in Calne and said they would send it off for testing.

He also received two identical letters from the customer services team, dated December 23 and December 24.

The letters, which confirmed the porridge had been delivered to a laboratory, had the same name at the bottom, but were signed by two different people.

But Mr Broadhead, who phoned his doctor to check his health after discovering the pill, said he was disappointed by the lack of urgency shown by Sainsbury’s.

He said: “I had been eating this porridge for three days and I had a blinding headache for three days. I stopped eating it and I was fine.

“I gave them the batch number and I said, do you want to take this off the shelves? They said, ‘We don’t want to cause a panic.’ “I thought they would just take it off the shelves, but they didn’t seem bothered about it. I was quite shocked.”

However, a spokes-man for Sain-sbury’s said: “We take reports of this nature extremely seriously and we immediately carried out a thorough investigation with independent experts.

“This found no evidence that contamination like this could occur, as our oats are heated to a high temperature, rolled and sieved before being securely packaged. We have apologised to Mr Broadhead and have withdrawn any oats packaged at that time.”

Mr Broadhead has now received a telephone call from a representative in the director’s office, who read him a report of the findings.

He has also been offered £100 worth of food vouchers to spend at Sainsbury’s.

Mr Broadhead said: “I didn’t ask for a refund and I wasn’t looking for compensation. I was concerned there was something in the food.

“They said they have tested it and they believe it to be aspirin.”

Comments (2)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

6:41pm Sun 27 Jan 13

RobinsTalk says...

Another boring non-story.

What a load of old baloney.

Does this 'local historian and author' have a new book coming out which is why he contacted the press to gain some publicity?

I take it Mr Broadhead will pass the £100 vouchers onto a charity.
Another boring non-story. What a load of old baloney. Does this 'local historian and author' have a new book coming out which is why he contacted the press to gain some publicity? I take it Mr Broadhead will pass the £100 vouchers onto a charity. RobinsTalk
  • Score: 0

10:52am Thu 31 Jan 13

commonasmuck says...

Could not have been very good aspirin if he had a headache for three days while he was eating it, and it went away after he stopped. What a load of old baloney!
Could not have been very good aspirin if he had a headache for three days while he was eating it, and it went away after he stopped. What a load of old baloney! commonasmuck
  • Score: 0

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree