Get involved! Send photos, video, news & views. Text WILTS GAZETTE to 80360 or email us
Relief after close call with drugs trash in Devizes
8:00pm Saturday 13th October 2012 in News
A MAN who collected up used hypodermic needles had to go to hospital after one pricked his skin.
The man, who did not wish to be named, was out walking his dogs along Quakers Walk in Devizes when he came across 15 to 20 needles in the grass by the footpath opposite the allotments last Thursday morning.
The man, who lives in Devizes, collected up the needles in a Rowlands Pharmacy bag which had been discarded nearby.
He called the police who referred him to Wiltshire Council and he was told to put the needles into a container and they would be collected from his home.
While he was doing this one of the needles pricked his leg. He went to Great Western Hospital, Swindon, but fortunately medics told him the needle had not pierced his skin.
The man said lots of people walked along Quakers Walk and that there was a potential danger to people and dogs with needles lying around in grass.
He said: “People go there with pushchairs and children play there. Whoever has put the needles down there has a total disregard for the public. It’s bang out of order. The people using the needles might have HIV so it is dangerous to walkers.
“I didn’t want to leave them there because they were dangerous so I put them carefully into a bag that was there.”
He said the police should patrol the area.
Sgt Ian Thomas of Devizes Police said: “I am upset that needles have been found lying around. This is irresponsible and a danger to members of the public. We do conduct patrols around all areas of the town and where we find evidence of illegal drug use we take all steps that we can to stop it.
“I would ask people to take care when handling needles. I would hate for anyone to be injured when doing so. If in doubt I would ask people to telephone the police or Wiltshire Council who have the necessary protective equipment to handle these objects safely.”
Comments are closed on this article.