Get involved! Send photos, video, news & views. Text WILTS GAZETTE to 80360 or email us
Marlborough CCTV proposals are being prepared
11:00am Friday 27th September 2013 in News
Plans for CCTV in Marlborough High Street are making progress, with three companies working on proposals for systems to be considered by the town council.
The issue was briefly discussed at the full council meeting on Monday following the attack on Deacon and Son Jewellers last Tuesday, but mayor Guy Loosmoore said it was not the time to be debating the topic.
He said: “I think we were all shocked by what happened and it is something that we need to take on board. It is a serious debate about how we deal with these things and indeed people will be talking about CCTV, but this is not really on the agenda.
“At the moment there are three companies working on proposals that will be submitted to this council in the near future and that will then cause another debate as to the way forward.
“It is very important that we, as a community, engage with the police in helping them deal with the criminal elements in our society. CCTV is just a part.”
Alex Minoudis, who took over as chairman of Marlborough and District Chamber of Commerce last week, said the chamber would work with the town council to implement the right CCTV system for the town.
He said: “For some years the chamber has been working on getting CCTV in the town and we secured a £5,000 grant from the area board to help implement it.
“CCTV won’t prevent crime but it will act as a deterrent. It’s not just for businesses – it will make other people in the town feel safer, too. I don’t know the ins and outs of how things will work yet because we haven’t had our first meeting, but we will certainly work alongside the town council.”
Last Thursday Marcus Delroy Jeremiah Cohen, 33, of no fixed address; Paul Gallimore, 33, of Rugby Road, Coventry; and Linton Daren Summerfield, 20, of Bushberry Avenue, Coventry, appeared at North West Wiltshire Magistrates’ Court in connection with the robbery.
They are jointly charged with stealing an estimated £130,000 worth of jewellery, watches and cash, and Gallimore is also accused of possessing an offensive weapon, a crowbar. They were remanded in custody and will appear at Swindon Crown Court on October 11.
Prosecutor Pauline Lambert said two other men were still wanted by Wiltshire Police, who believe that all of the items stolen have now been recovered.
The raid has not put off Malmesbury business, County Jewellers, planning to move to the town by mid October.
Comments are closed on this article.