Charges dropped against man over Chippenham assault accusations (From The Wiltshire Gazette and Herald)
Get involved! Send photos, video, news & views. Text WILTS GAZETTE to 80360 or email us
Charges dropped against man over Chippenham assault accusations
5:40pm Monday 22nd July 2013 in News
Prosecutors have dropped charges against a man accused of assaulting two people in Chippenham after one said he couldn't really remember what happened.
Thomas Hammerton had pleaded not guilty to actual bodily harm and common assault on two men in Chippenham in the early hours of Sunday, May 27 last year.
The 22-year-old, who has no previous convictions, had been due to face trial by jury at Swindon Crown Court later in the summer.
But the case was brought back before a judge on Friday so the Crown could offer no evidence on the two charges.
Colin Meeke, prosecuting, said both complainants had made it clear that they did 'not wish to testify,' at a trial.
He said "One casted doubts on his own memory of the matter. We did consider witness summons, but decided not to."
Hammerton, of Nursery Road, Colerne, had pleaded not guilty to actual bodily harm on Thomas McAlonan and common assault on Thomas Cawley.
It had been alleged that the incident took place close to the Subway sandwich shop in Chippenham town centre.
Judge Douglas Field entered formal not guilty verdicts and granted a defendant's costs order for Hammerton's out-of-pocket expenses.