The mother of 13-year-old Miles Webber has no recollection of the crash that killed him, an inquest heard.

Miles, who lived in Littleton Panell and was a pupil at Dauntsey’s School in West Lavington, was being driven to Devizes by Amanda Webber on the morning of November 11 last year when her Citroen C3 car left the A360 at the bend near Black Dog Crossroads.

The car crashed through a wooden fence and into a ditch with water running through it.

Both Mrs Webber and Miles, who was found in the rear passenger footwell of the car, were unconscious and were released by firefighters. Miles was in cardiac arrest and received CPR at the scene before being airlifted to Frenchay Hospital, Bristol.

He died from his injuries eight days later at the Bristol Royal Hospital for Children.

At his inquest in Salisbury on Thursday, a statement by Mrs Webber was read by assistant deputy coroner Ian SIngleton.

The statement said: “As a result of the accident I suffered severe injuries to the rear of my head and front lobe of my brain and my recollection of the accident is virtually non-existent. This loss of memory is as a direct result of the injuries in the accident.”

She said she had been driving for 27 years and regularly drove on the A360 to Devizes. She said she always told Miles to wear a seatbelt and he always complied. She said he normally sat in the front passenger seat but would sit in the back if they were picking up a friend of his.

Forensic tests showed there was no alcohol or drugs in Mrs Webber’s body and she had not been using her mobile phone at the time of the crash.

Mrs Webber’s former husband James Webber said his son Miles was being driven to the skate park in Devizes on the morning of the crash. A skateboard was found inside the car.

The inquest heard the speed limit on the section of the A360 where the crash happened had been reduced from 60mph to 50mph two days before the accident and there had been four collisions resulting in injury on the same stretch of road in the five years up to July 2012.

PC Stephen Fair, who investigated the crash, said the tread on the two offside tyres on Mrs Webber’s car’s were below the legal limit but they had no effect on the collision.

He estimated the Citroen left the road at between 30 and 38mph and there were no problems with the road surface or anything to indicate any other vehicles or animal caused the car to leave the road.

Mr Singleton recorded a verdict of accidental death and said: “Miles was not wearing a seatbelt when he was discovered. On the balance of probabilities he was not wearing a seatbelt at the time of the collision, which might have contributed to him sustaining the injuries of which he died.”