Wiltshire on amber alert for heavy snow

Gritters will be out in force tonight on Wiltshire's roads

Gritters will be out in force tonight on Wiltshire's roads

First published in News by

An amber weather warning has been put out by the Met Office for the south west, with snow expected in the early hours of tomorrow.

Weather experts are warning the area could expect more than 5-10cm of snow with the possibility of 15cm (6ins) in places.

Families living on high ground and in parts of the Cotswolds could see up to 25cm (10ins) of snow.

People have been warned they should be prepared to change their travel plans as there is potential for severe disruption, with the amber warning valid from 3am tomorrow until 9pm.

Snow is expected in the early hours of tomorrow, just in time for the morning rush hour. Widespread school closures are expected, with Rowdeford School, near Devizes already announcing it will not open because of the forecast.

Met Office spokesman Dan Williams said: "It is likely there will be some transport disruption and the advice would be for everyone to keep their eyes on local transport and travel updates and to check the weather forecasts. People must be prepared to change their plans."

South West Trains said the service between Bristol and Salisbury, which stops at Oldfield Park and Bath Spa Station, would not be running.

No South West trains would be running through Bath Spa , Bradford on Avon, Trowbridge, Warminster and Westbury stations.

A revised services would run on routes in Hampshire, Berkshire, Surrey, Dorset, Wiltshire, Somerset and Devon.

Meanwhile, Wiltshire Police are advising motorists to take care in respect of snowfall which is expected across the county from the early hours of tomorrow morning.

Chief Superintendent Paul Mills said: ‘The Met Office weather forecast predicts that we are likely to experience snow and icy roads throughout Wiltshire tomorrow and over the weekend. This will lead to poor driving conditions and motorists should take extra care.

"We are working closely with our partner agencies to ensure that there are sufficient resources to deal with any weather related incidents.

"Our best advice is to avoid any unnecessary journeys if at all possible however there are measures that all road users can take to help reduce any risks."

Advice for road users:

•Keep up-to-date with the weather forecast and road conditions before you set off on your journey

•Check that your vehicle is roadworthy. Make sure you have full visibility before driving, taking time to de-mist and de-ice all windows

•Use your lights When the roads are wet and icy, it can take twice as long to stop your vehicle so slow down

•Keep a safe distance from the vehicle in front In poor visibility be extra alert for hazards

•Carry warm waterproof clothing, a sleeping bag, food, water and a torch in your vehicle, in case weather conditions mean you have to stop

•Make sure you have plenty of fuel for your journey before you set off Use the highest gear possible to avoid wheel spin.

•Manoeuvre gently and avoid harsh braking and acceleration. If you start to skid, gently ease off the accelerator and avoid braking. If braking is necessary, pump the brakes, don't slam them on.

•Make sure your mobile phone is fully charged

•Poor weather conditions mean it can be harder for drivers to see pedestrians and cyclists, so be vigilant and make sure you can be seen however you are traveling and wear high visibility clothing.

Bosses at Great Western Hospital in Swindon say they will do all they can to keep disruption to services to a minimum during the severe weather conditions.

The hospital trust also runs the community hospitals in Chippenham, Trowbridge, Devizes, Savernake, Melksham and Warminster.

A GWH spokesman said patients with appointments and operations scheduled for tomorrow (Friday) should, if they can travel in safely, attend as normal unless the hospital contacts them.

The spokesman said contingency plans were in place to help essential staff get to the hospitals by using four-wheel drive transport.

The spokesman said it was too early to say if services will be affected but will be putting updates on its website – www.gwh.nhs.uk and Twitter - @GWH_NHS.

Trowbridge-based Wiltshire Farm Foods, which delivers frozen ready meals to elderly and disabled people in the county, said they were confident they would be able to cope with the adverse weather conditions forecast.

A spokesman for the company said: “We are taking each day as it comes but each van is equipped with shovels and other equipment to make sure we get through to customers.”

For all the latest weather news, see www.gazetteandherald.co.uk or www.wiltshiretimes.co.uk

Comments (18)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

5:57pm Thu 17 Jan 13

redrum says...

What a joke, one school closed just on the threat of snow forecast. Other countries have to cope and life goes on but oh no not here, a few inches of snow and everything stops. Parents are encouraged to work and yes they should but who will look after peoples kids because their parents will be expected to get into work still. One of us will have to be off to look after the children if school closes and my patients will still need me whatever the weather. In fact while we are on the subject can we all remember to keep an eye on the vulnerable in our streets please.
What a joke, one school closed just on the threat of snow forecast. Other countries have to cope and life goes on but oh no not here, a few inches of snow and everything stops. Parents are encouraged to work and yes they should but who will look after peoples kids because their parents will be expected to get into work still. One of us will have to be off to look after the children if school closes and my patients will still need me whatever the weather. In fact while we are on the subject can we all remember to keep an eye on the vulnerable in our streets please. redrum
  • Score: 0

7:09pm Thu 17 Jan 13

RobinsTalk says...

redrum wrote:
What a joke, one school closed just on the threat of snow forecast. Other countries have to cope and life goes on but oh no not here, a few inches of snow and everything stops. Parents are encouraged to work and yes they should but who will look after peoples kids because their parents will be expected to get into work still. One of us will have to be off to look after the children if school closes and my patients will still need me whatever the weather. In fact while we are on the subject can we all remember to keep an eye on the vulnerable in our streets please.
The school that has decided to close due to the forecast has acted in the best interests of it's pupils. Rowdeford school is a specialist school for children with complex learning difficulties and Autistic Spectrum Disorders and by making the decision early gives the parents more time to let the children get used to the idea that their routine will not be as expected tomorrow.
I agree that Britain isn't very good at coping with extreme weather conditions and school closures can be a pain for some parents, but with today's nanny state of health and safety and compensation culture headteachers have a tough choice to make.
Oh and it's not just people with patients that will be expected at work tomorrow, spare a thought for retail staff who have to man the shops whatever the weather so people can buy their soup, sledges, de-icer, etc.
[quote][p][bold]redrum[/bold] wrote: What a joke, one school closed just on the threat of snow forecast. Other countries have to cope and life goes on but oh no not here, a few inches of snow and everything stops. Parents are encouraged to work and yes they should but who will look after peoples kids because their parents will be expected to get into work still. One of us will have to be off to look after the children if school closes and my patients will still need me whatever the weather. In fact while we are on the subject can we all remember to keep an eye on the vulnerable in our streets please.[/p][/quote]The school that has decided to close due to the forecast has acted in the best interests of it's pupils. Rowdeford school is a specialist school for children with complex learning difficulties and Autistic Spectrum Disorders and by making the decision early gives the parents more time to let the children get used to the idea that their routine will not be as expected tomorrow. I agree that Britain isn't very good at coping with extreme weather conditions and school closures can be a pain for some parents, but with today's nanny state of health and safety and compensation culture headteachers have a tough choice to make. Oh and it's not just people with patients that will be expected at work tomorrow, spare a thought for retail staff who have to man the shops whatever the weather so people can buy their soup, sledges, de-icer, etc. RobinsTalk
  • Score: 0

8:03pm Thu 17 Jan 13

Mrs Donnyfly says...

redrim said - "What a joke, one school closed just on the threat of snow forecast..."

I would have thought, redrum, that with you being practically perfect in every way you would have known why Rowdeford school would make that decision - and you in the care industry taboot.
redrim said - "What a joke, one school closed just on the threat of snow forecast..." I would have thought, redrum, that with you being practically perfect in every way you would have known why Rowdeford school would make that decision - and you in the care industry taboot. Mrs Donnyfly
  • Score: 0

8:23pm Thu 17 Jan 13

yoR says...

RobinsTalk wrote:
redrum wrote:
What a joke, one school closed just on the threat of snow forecast. Other countries have to cope and life goes on but oh no not here, a few inches of snow and everything stops. Parents are encouraged to work and yes they should but who will look after peoples kids because their parents will be expected to get into work still. One of us will have to be off to look after the children if school closes and my patients will still need me whatever the weather. In fact while we are on the subject can we all remember to keep an eye on the vulnerable in our streets please.
The school that has decided to close due to the forecast has acted in the best interests of it's pupils. Rowdeford school is a specialist school for children with complex learning difficulties and Autistic Spectrum Disorders and by making the decision early gives the parents more time to let the children get used to the idea that their routine will not be as expected tomorrow.
I agree that Britain isn't very good at coping with extreme weather conditions and school closures can be a pain for some parents, but with today's nanny state of health and safety and compensation culture headteachers have a tough choice to make.
Oh and it's not just people with patients that will be expected at work tomorrow, spare a thought for retail staff who have to man the shops whatever the weather so people can buy their soup, sledges, de-icer, etc.
"by making the decision early gives the parents more time to let the children get used to the idea that their routine will not be as expected tomorrow".
.
.
Well said, anyone who knows how these children react when there is a "change of plan" will fully agree.
[quote][p][bold]RobinsTalk[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]redrum[/bold] wrote: What a joke, one school closed just on the threat of snow forecast. Other countries have to cope and life goes on but oh no not here, a few inches of snow and everything stops. Parents are encouraged to work and yes they should but who will look after peoples kids because their parents will be expected to get into work still. One of us will have to be off to look after the children if school closes and my patients will still need me whatever the weather. In fact while we are on the subject can we all remember to keep an eye on the vulnerable in our streets please.[/p][/quote]The school that has decided to close due to the forecast has acted in the best interests of it's pupils. Rowdeford school is a specialist school for children with complex learning difficulties and Autistic Spectrum Disorders and by making the decision early gives the parents more time to let the children get used to the idea that their routine will not be as expected tomorrow. I agree that Britain isn't very good at coping with extreme weather conditions and school closures can be a pain for some parents, but with today's nanny state of health and safety and compensation culture headteachers have a tough choice to make. Oh and it's not just people with patients that will be expected at work tomorrow, spare a thought for retail staff who have to man the shops whatever the weather so people can buy their soup, sledges, de-icer, etc.[/p][/quote]"by making the decision early gives the parents more time to let the children get used to the idea that their routine will not be as expected tomorrow". . . Well said, anyone who knows how these children react when there is a "change of plan" will fully agree. yoR
  • Score: 0

9:36pm Thu 17 Jan 13

cght36 says...

Plus many children who go to Roweford school travel quite a distance so safety for them and the people transporting them was another factor in them deciding to close the school too.
Plus many children who go to Roweford school travel quite a distance so safety for them and the people transporting them was another factor in them deciding to close the school too. cght36
  • Score: 0

10:08pm Thu 17 Jan 13

Sazzer says...

redrum wrote:
What a joke, one school closed just on the threat of snow forecast. Other countries have to cope and life goes on but oh no not here, a few inches of snow and everything stops. Parents are encouraged to work and yes they should but who will look after peoples kids because their parents will be expected to get into work still. One of us will have to be off to look after the children if school closes and my patients will still need me whatever the weather. In fact while we are on the subject can we all remember to keep an eye on the vulnerable in our streets please.
Redrum is Murder spelled backwards. That is all.
[quote][p][bold]redrum[/bold] wrote: What a joke, one school closed just on the threat of snow forecast. Other countries have to cope and life goes on but oh no not here, a few inches of snow and everything stops. Parents are encouraged to work and yes they should but who will look after peoples kids because their parents will be expected to get into work still. One of us will have to be off to look after the children if school closes and my patients will still need me whatever the weather. In fact while we are on the subject can we all remember to keep an eye on the vulnerable in our streets please.[/p][/quote]Redrum is Murder spelled backwards. That is all. Sazzer
  • Score: 0

11:57pm Thu 17 Jan 13

beetawix says...

redrum murmered "What a joke, one school closed threat of snow Other countries have to cope - oh no not here, a few inches everything stops. parents will be expected to get into work still.

you should know by now that other countries that do cope have more predictable weather which can be managed better. If we were as good in our unpredictable conditions we would have spent one heck of a lot of money in the process.
any sensible employer would realise that kids off school must be looked after. if not they are idiots.

unusual conditions require compromises not whinging
redrum murmered "What a joke, one school closed threat of snow Other countries have to cope - oh no not here, a few inches everything stops. parents will be expected to get into work still. you should know by now that other countries that do cope have more predictable weather which can be managed better. If we were as good in our unpredictable conditions we would have spent one heck of a lot of money in the process. any sensible employer would realise that kids off school must be looked after. if not they are idiots. unusual conditions require compromises not whinging beetawix
  • Score: 0

5:34am Fri 18 Jan 13

redrum says...

Donnifly i love you, you are so easy to wind up and your answers are so predictable, how many children do you have that will be off school i wonder. However saying that i did not realise this was a special needs school and so yes giving those kids time to come around to the change of routine ahead is very important. Shame this country cannot get a grip though and learn to cope when snow arrives. What ever your profession it will not be easy during this weather so we will all just have to get on with it and try to enjoy the snow for the kids sake.
Donnifly i love you, you are so easy to wind up and your answers are so predictable, how many children do you have that will be off school i wonder. However saying that i did not realise this was a special needs school and so yes giving those kids time to come around to the change of routine ahead is very important. Shame this country cannot get a grip though and learn to cope when snow arrives. What ever your profession it will not be easy during this weather so we will all just have to get on with it and try to enjoy the snow for the kids sake. redrum
  • Score: 0

7:28am Fri 18 Jan 13

Mrs Donnyfly says...

redrum wrote:
Donnifly i love you, you are so easy to wind up and your answers are so predictable, how many children do you have that will be off school i wonder. However saying that i did not realise this was a special needs school and so yes giving those kids time to come around to the change of routine ahead is very important. Shame this country cannot get a grip though and learn to cope when snow arrives. What ever your profession it will not be easy during this weather so we will all just have to get on with it and try to enjoy the snow for the kids sake.
Nice one redrum, have a dig at me to deflect some of the egg on your face. I can assure you that I am not wound up at all - and what answers, I didn't realise I had been asked a question.

Why are you so obsessed with how many children I have?

Your demand that we all must enjoy the snow for the sake of the kids is ridiculous.
[quote][p][bold]redrum[/bold] wrote: Donnifly i love you, you are so easy to wind up and your answers are so predictable, how many children do you have that will be off school i wonder. However saying that i did not realise this was a special needs school and so yes giving those kids time to come around to the change of routine ahead is very important. Shame this country cannot get a grip though and learn to cope when snow arrives. What ever your profession it will not be easy during this weather so we will all just have to get on with it and try to enjoy the snow for the kids sake.[/p][/quote]Nice one redrum, have a dig at me to deflect some of the egg on your face. I can assure you that I am not wound up at all - and what answers, I didn't realise I had been asked a question. Why are you so obsessed with how many children I have? Your demand that we all must enjoy the snow for the sake of the kids is ridiculous. Mrs Donnyfly
  • Score: 0

7:34am Fri 18 Jan 13

€d says...

Redrum, next time do some research, it will prevent you from looking a tw@t.

Look into how autistic children cope with change.
Redrum, next time do some research, it will prevent you from looking a tw@t. Look into how autistic children cope with change. €d
  • Score: 0

7:34am Fri 18 Jan 13

€d says...

Redrum, next time do some research, it will prevent you from looking a tw@t.

Look into how autistic children cope with change.
Redrum, next time do some research, it will prevent you from looking a tw@t. Look into how autistic children cope with change. €d
  • Score: 0

9:22am Fri 18 Jan 13

redrum says...

When i left school i worked with kids and senco needs for some time so yes i am aware how routines are important. I did not however know that the school mentioned was special needs. It amazes me the need for offensive language, perhaps you are perfect and look up every detail on everything. Donnifly you are such a world of knowledge on all stories but cannot answer a simple question. No egg on my face i dont pretend to know everything on each story on the site.
When i left school i worked with kids and senco needs for some time so yes i am aware how routines are important. I did not however know that the school mentioned was special needs. It amazes me the need for offensive language, perhaps you are perfect and look up every detail on everything. Donnifly you are such a world of knowledge on all stories but cannot answer a simple question. No egg on my face i dont pretend to know everything on each story on the site. redrum
  • Score: 0

12:05pm Fri 18 Jan 13

wondering why says...

changing the subject but I think Wiltshire are somewhat off the mark on road gritting, A360 is not a pretty sight and it's only 3 inches of snow.
changing the subject but I think Wiltshire are somewhat off the mark on road gritting, A360 is not a pretty sight and it's only 3 inches of snow. wondering why
  • Score: 0

7:17pm Fri 18 Jan 13

Mrs Donnyfly says...

redrum wrote:
When i left school i worked with kids and senco needs for some time so yes i am aware how routines are important. I did not however know that the school mentioned was special needs. It amazes me the need for offensive language, perhaps you are perfect and look up every detail on everything. Donnifly you are such a world of knowledge on all stories but cannot answer a simple question. No egg on my face i dont pretend to know everything on each story on the site.
"It amazes me the need for offensive language..."

What offensive language would that be then? You should really learn not to contradict yourself. In one sentence you say I am a world of knowledge, and then blow me down in the following sentence you imply that I pretend to know everything - make your mind up!
[quote][p][bold]redrum[/bold] wrote: When i left school i worked with kids and senco needs for some time so yes i am aware how routines are important. I did not however know that the school mentioned was special needs. It amazes me the need for offensive language, perhaps you are perfect and look up every detail on everything. Donnifly you are such a world of knowledge on all stories but cannot answer a simple question. No egg on my face i dont pretend to know everything on each story on the site.[/p][/quote]"It amazes me the need for offensive language..." What offensive language would that be then? You should really learn not to contradict yourself. In one sentence you say I am a world of knowledge, and then blow me down in the following sentence you imply that I pretend to know everything - make your mind up! Mrs Donnyfly
  • Score: 0

12:11am Sat 19 Jan 13

beetawix says...

in fairness redrum spouted on the mistaken assumption that it was not Rowdeford. So what, doesn't matter which school it was, schools don't make these decisions for a laugh.
in fairness redrum spouted on the mistaken assumption that it was not Rowdeford. So what, doesn't matter which school it was, schools don't make these decisions for a laugh. beetawix
  • Score: 0

6:29am Sat 19 Jan 13

redrum says...

That message for offensive language was for Ed, not you. Feel free to answer the question you are avoiding though. Beetawax i am well aware these decisions are all to do with the health and safety of children and staff, it does make it hard for working parents though you must admit because they are still expected to get to work which is the point i was making.
That message for offensive language was for Ed, not you. Feel free to answer the question you are avoiding though. Beetawax i am well aware these decisions are all to do with the health and safety of children and staff, it does make it hard for working parents though you must admit because they are still expected to get to work which is the point i was making. redrum
  • Score: 0

10:11am Sat 19 Jan 13

notscot says...

Redrum,
"What a joke, one school closed just on the threat of snow forecast." Should've waited 'til the last minute and caused REAL confusion/upset, eh?
" Other countries have to cope and life goes on but oh no not here, a few inches of snow and everything stops" something to do with the fact that in the UK snow is unusual - our climate isn't as predictable as in other countries, and it's too expensive to gear up to cover all contingencies.
"Parents are encouraged to work and yes they should but who will look after peoples kids" Their families, numpty - they are the responsibility of their FAMILIES! (AS ARE YOURS!)
"One of us will have to be off to look after the children if school closes" So what - who do you think SHOULD look after your kids in an emergency?
"and my patients will still need me whatever the weather" (Why are you implying you're a doc/nurse? You're a support worker - they are NOT your patients.) Suck it up - you chose the job.
"In fact while we are on the subject can we all remember to keep an eye on the vulnerable in our streets please.” We weren't actually on the subject of the vulnerable in our streets. This item briefly touched on the subject of the elderLy & disabled but did so only to promote a local firm selling products to them.
"it does make it hard for working parents though you must admit because they are still expected to get to work which is the point i was making.” Nope - you were whingeing about a school closing due to a report of snow.

Please disabuse yourself of the belief that others should be responsible for the care of YOUR kids simply to enable you to go to work without a care.
Redrum, "What a joke, one school closed just on the threat of snow forecast." Should've waited 'til the last minute and caused REAL confusion/upset, eh? " Other countries have to cope and life goes on but oh no not here, a few inches of snow and everything stops" something to do with the fact that in the UK snow is unusual - our climate isn't as predictable as in other countries, and it's too expensive to gear up to cover all contingencies. "Parents are encouraged to work and yes they should but who will look after peoples kids" Their families, numpty - they are the responsibility of their FAMILIES! (AS ARE YOURS!) "One of us will have to be off to look after the children if school closes" So what - who do you think SHOULD look after your kids in an emergency? "and my patients will still need me whatever the weather" (Why are you implying you're a doc/nurse? You're a support worker - they are NOT your patients.) Suck it up - you chose the job. "In fact while we are on the subject can we all remember to keep an eye on the vulnerable in our streets please.” We weren't actually on the subject of the vulnerable in our streets. This item briefly touched on the subject of the elderLy & disabled but did so only to promote a local firm selling products to them. "it does make it hard for working parents though you must admit because they are still expected to get to work which is the point i was making.” Nope - you were whingeing about a school closing due to a report of snow. Please disabuse yourself of the belief that others should be responsible for the care of YOUR kids simply to enable you to go to work without a care. notscot
  • Score: 0

12:45am Sun 20 Jan 13

Mrs Donnyfly says...

redrum wrote:
That message for offensive language was for Ed, not you. Feel free to answer the question you are avoiding though. Beetawax i am well aware these decisions are all to do with the health and safety of children and staff, it does make it hard for working parents though you must admit because they are still expected to get to work which is the point i was making.
If the comment on offensive language was intended for someone else why did you put it in the same sentence as one directed at me? I truly hope that whatever practice employs you as a support worker doesn't allow you access to writing letters to clients/patients, otherwise their professionalism could be questioned.

With regards to the question you seem to think I cannot answer - re, how many children do I have - it is not so much that I cannot answer as i choose not to answer. There can only be two reasons why you insist on asking me this: 1. You're hoping I say i don't have any kids so you can accuse me of saying things I know nothing about, or 2. I have children, so you can once again get on your high horse and express concern about their well-being., as you have done before.

To satisfy your **** I will tell you... yes, I have children, two of them, both happy, well-rounded individuals. Both with parents that don't feel a need to criticise other parents to make them feel better about themselves.
[quote][p][bold]redrum[/bold] wrote: That message for offensive language was for Ed, not you. Feel free to answer the question you are avoiding though. Beetawax i am well aware these decisions are all to do with the health and safety of children and staff, it does make it hard for working parents though you must admit because they are still expected to get to work which is the point i was making.[/p][/quote]If the comment on offensive language was intended for someone else why did you put it in the same sentence as one directed at me? I truly hope that whatever practice employs you as a support worker doesn't allow you access to writing letters to clients/patients, otherwise their professionalism could be questioned. With regards to the question you seem to think I cannot answer - re, how many children do I have - it is not so much that I cannot answer as i choose not to answer. There can only be two reasons why you insist on asking me this: 1. You're hoping I say i don't have any kids so you can accuse me of saying things I know nothing about, or 2. I have children, so you can once again get on your high horse and express concern about their well-being., as you have done before. To satisfy your **** I will tell you... yes, I have children, two of them, both happy, well-rounded individuals. Both with parents that don't feel a need to criticise other parents to make them feel better about themselves. Mrs Donnyfly
  • Score: 0

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree