Have a happy and safe Bonfire Night, says Wiltshire fire service (From The Wiltshire Gazette and Herald)
Get involved! Send photos, video, news & views. Text WILTS GAZETTE to 80360 or email us
Have a happy and safe Bonfire Night, says Wiltshire fire service
With Bonfire Night fast approaching, Wiltshire Fire & Rescue Service is warning people not to take risks with fireworks.
While most people treat fireworks with respect, a small minority treat them as toys and forget that they are actually explosives.
To stay safe this Bonfire Night, always remember the following advice:
Keep fireworks in a closed metal box and take them out one at a time Follow the manufacturer’s instructions on each firework.
Read them by torchlight – never use a naked flame.
Light fireworks at arm’s length using a safety firework lighter or fuse wick.
Stand back after lighting; Never go back to a firework once lit – it may go off in your face.
Keep a bucket of water handy. Used fireworks should be collected after the display with care. Douse with water, bury or place in a metal container. Keep children under control. Keep pets indoors. Bonfires present additional hazards when it’s dark. If you must light a bonfire in connection with a fireworks display, then: Site well away from houses, garages, sheds, fences, overhead cables, trees and shrubs, and ALWAYS away from fireworks. Before lighting the fire, check that no pets or children are hiding inside it. Build the stack so that it is stable and will not collapse outwards or to one side. NEVER use flammable liquids such as paraffin or petrol to light the fire. Don’t burn foam-filled furniture, aerosols, tins of paint or bottles. Keep everyone away from the fire, especially children, who must be supervised all the time. In case of emergency, keep buckets of water, the garden hose or a fire extinguisher ready. Pour water on the embers before leaving. For further safety advice in the run-up to fireworks night, visit www.wiltsfire.gov.uk
Comments are closed on this article.