Get involved! Send photos, video, news & views. Text WILTS GAZETTE to 80360 or email us
North Wiltshire (House of Commons)
Mr James Gray MP (Conservative)
Surgery Tel: 01249 446 209
MP Since - 1997 Majority - 7,483 Born - 07/11/1954, Remarried, 2 sons, 1 daughter.
Education - Glasgow High School, Glasgow University, Christ Church College, Oxford.
Previous Occupation - Management Trainee for P&O (1977-78), Department Manager at Anderson Hughes & Co Ltd (1978-84), member of the Baltic Exchange (1978-92), Director of the Baltic Futures Exchange (1989-91), Senior Manager of GNI Futures Ltd (1984-92), Managing Director (1989-92). Special Advisor to Rt. Hon. Michael Howard MP (1992-93), and Rt. Hon. John Gummer MP (as Environment Secretary) (1993-95). Director of Westminster Strategy, Public Affairs Consultants (1995-96). Author.
Personal Overview - One of those Scottish Conservatives to have recognised electoral reality and sought an English seat for their Westminster membership. A political adviser prior to becoming an MP in 1997 his knowledge of the political machine has been extended by his long service on the Opposition front-bench, initially in the Defence brief but from July 2002 until 2005 as one of the DEFRA Shadow team. Still a potential minister if the Conservatives were to regain office in the first decade of the Twenty-First Century, he will be well aware of the potential for the future Tory generation of MPs to deprive him of the opportunity. Was briefly appointed Shadow Scottish Secretary after the 2005 General Election, but only lasted around a week in the job, resigning after suggesting that MSPs should be abolished.
Political History - MP North Wiltshire (1997-). Secretary of the Conservative Agriculture, Fisheries & Food Committee (1997-2000), Vice Chairman (2000-01). Member of the Environment, Transport and Regional Affairs Select Committee, Environment Sub-Committee, Transport Sub-Committee (1997-2001). Joint Vice-Chairman, Multiple Sclerosis All Party Group. Opposition Whip (2000-01), Member of the Broadcasting Select Committee (2001-03). Opposition Frontbench Spokesman for Defence (2001-02), Environment, Food & Rural Affairs (2002-03), for Environment & Transport (2003-05). Shadow Scottish Secretary (2005). Member of the Regulatory Reform Select Committee (2005-10). Member of the Environment, Food & Rural Affairs Select Committee (2007-10). Member of the Finance & Services Committee (2010-). Member of the Procedure Select Committee (2010-). Member of the Defence Select Committee (2013-).
Characteristics - Had seven years active service in the Honourable Artillery Company, Vice President of the HAC Saddle Club. Made a Freeman of the City of London (1978), also retains free membership of the Baltic Exchange.
Business Tel: 020 7219 6237
Interests: Agriculture,Defence,Foreign Affairs,Housing,Scottish Affairs,Rural,Local Government
- Defence Committee (Member)
- Finance & Services Committee (Member)
- Procedure Committee (Member)
- All-Party Parliamentary Group for the Armed Forces (Chairman)
- All-Party Parliamentary Beer Group (Member)
- All-Party Parliamentary Group for Biodiversity (Member)
- All-Party Parliamentary Carbon Monoxide Group (Member)
- All-Party Parliamentary Group on Chronic Pain (Member)
- All-Party Parliamentary Group on Conflict Issues (Member)
- Conservation and Wildlife Group (Member)
- All-Party Parliamentary Group for Education (Member)
- All-Party Parliamentary Group for Global Uncertainties (Member)
- Gurkha Welfare Group (Member)
- Historic Churches (Associate Group) (Member)
- All-Party Parliamentary Group on Homeland Security (Member)
- All-Party Parliamentary Group for the Horse (Member)
- All-Party Parliamentary Middle Way Group (Member)
- Minerals Group (Associate Group) (Chairman)
- All-Party Parliamentary Group on Motor Neurone Disease (Member)
- All-Party Parliamentary Group for Multiple Sclerosis (Member)
- All-Party Parliamentary Group for the Reserve Forces and Cadets (Member)
- All-Party Parliamentary Scotch Whisky and Spirits Group (Member)
- All-Party Parliamentary Scout Group (Member)
- All-Party Parliamentary Group on Shooting and Conservation (Member)
- All-Party Parliamentary Group for Specialist Security (Member)
- All-Party Parliamentary Group on Suicide and Self Harm Prevention (Treasurer)
- All-Party Parliamentary Group for Vaccine Damaged People (Member)
- All-Party Parliamentary Veterans Group (Member)
- Afghanistan (Associate Group) (Member)
- All-Party Parliamentary Kosovo Group (Member)
- All-Party Parliamentary Group on Mongolia (Member)
- All-Party Parliamentary Britain-Nepal Group (Member)
- Polar Regions (Arctic and Antarctic) Group (Vice Chairman)
- All-Party Parliamentary Group for Tibet (Vice Chairman)
- All-Party Parliamentary Group for Turkey (Member)
South West (European Parliament)
Earl William of Dartmouth MEP (UK Independence)
MEP Since - 2009 Born - 23/09/49. 10th Earl of Dartmouth.
Education - Eton. Christchurch College, Oxford. Harvard Business School.
Previous Occupation - Chartered Accountant, working in the United Arab Emirates (1975-77). Worked in the US for 6 years before returning to work in the UK in 1983 in finance, property and communications. Director, Hanson Transport. Chairman and Founder of Kirklees Cable.
Personal Overview - Former Conservative Peer who defected to the UK Independence party successfully gained election to the European Parliament at the 2009 elections. From a background in accountancy, he has worked in several countries, including the United Arab Emirates and US. A former Hereditary Peer, he lost his seat in the House of Lords in November 1999 in the Lords reforms of that year. Having reinvented himself as a UK Independence member he has the opportunity to use his accountancy skills to highlight any financial issues within the EU.
Political History - General Election candidate (Conservative) for Leigh (February 1974), Stockport South (October 1974). Succeeded his father to became a member of the House of Lords (1997-99). European Parliament candidate (1999). Joined the UK Independence Party (2007). Current prospective parliamentary candidate for Exeter. MEP South West Region (2009-). Member of the Committee on International Trade (2009-). Substitute member of the Foreign Affairs Committee.
Other Information - At Oxford he was elected Secretary of the Oxford Union.
Intergroups - N/a.
Business Tel: 32(0)2 28 49735
Interests: Business & Finance
- Foreign Affairs (Substitute)
- International Trade (Member)
Information supplied by Goveval. Send feedback to email@example.com