Get involved! Send photos, video, news & views. Text WILTS GAZETTE to 80360 or email us
Wells (House of Commons)
Ms Tessa Munt MP (Liberal Democrat)
Surgery: Aug 12th 6:00pm
Aug 12th 7:00pm
MP Advice Centre - Cross
Aug 14th 6:00pm
Aug 14th 7:00pm
MP Advice Centre: Rodney Stoke
Aug 14th 7:30pm
Aug 14th 8:30pm
MP Advice Centre: Wookey Hole
Aug 15th 8:00pm
Aug 15th 9:00pm
Advice Centre: Blackford
Aug 16th 10:00am
Aug 16th 11:00am
MP Advice Centre: Wedmore
Surgery Tel: 01934 710 748
MP Since - 2010 Majority - 800 Born - 16/10/1959 (Surrey). Married (Martin). 1 step-daughter, 1 son, 1 daughter.
Education - Convent educated. Attended a girls' Grammar School. Independent school and college.
Previous Occupation - Lecturer at the South East Essex College of Arts and Technology (1992-94). Former Supply Teacher and also worked for Suffolk Social Services. Personal Assistant to Phil Edmonds (1996-98). Has worked for several law firms, Francs Charlesly and Co (1996-98), Jay Benning and Pelts (1998-99), (Forsters 1999-2010).
Personal Overview - Won this marginal seat at the second attempt in 2010, taking the seat from the Conservatives for the first time since 1924. Likely to tend leftwards in the Liberal Democrat ranks, she will have to remain locally aware in a seat that will surely be closely contested in future elections. She has been active locally, as a member of the Sustainable Axbridge Network and the Wedmore Green Group. She has also been a Co-Chair of the Mid Somerset Campaign for Nuclear Disarmament. She has campaigned against the perceived inadequate level of consultation with local residents in her constituency involving plans to extend the national electricity grid and its associated pylons from Hinkley Point C Nuclear Power Station to Seabank in Avonmouth.
Political History - General Election candidate for Suffolk South in the (2001), Wells (2005). By-election candidate for Ipswich (November 2001). MP Wells (2010-). Member of the Education Select Committee (2010-12). Member of the Administration Select Committee (2010-). PPS to Rt Hon Vince Cable as Secretary of State for Business (2012-).
Characteristics - Has been Governor of a local middle school and Chair of a local Parent Teacher Association. Member of Wells and Burnham Town Twinning Associations. Has an interest in East African history and researching her family's history. Is a Vegetarian for over 30 years. Has been a member of Greenpeace and Friends of the Earth. She has also been a Counsellor and speaker for Childline and a Speaker for the Environmental Investigation Agency.
Business Tel: 020 7219 3000
Interests: Environment,Family Issues,Planning,Law & Order,Education & Training,Nuclear Disarmament,Health
- Administration Committee (Member)
- All-Party Parliamentary Archaeology Group (Member)
- All-Party Parliamentary Group for Arms Length Management Organisations (ALMOs) (Member)
- All-Party Parliamentary Group for Biodiversity (Vice Chairman)
- All-Party Parliamentary Group for Lawn Bowls (Member)
- All-Party Parliamentary Group for Cheese (Member)
- All-Party Parliamentary Group for Debt, Aid and Trade (Member)
- All-Party Parliamentary Fashion and Textile Group (Secretary)
- All-Party Parliamentary Green Deal Group (Member)
- All-Party Parliamentary Housing and Planning Group (Member)
- All-Party Parliamentary Group for Music Education (Member)
- All-Party Parliamentary Group on National Citizen Service and Volunteering (Member)
- All-Party Parliamentary Group on Off-Gas Grid (Member)
- All-Party Parliamentary Osteoporosis Group (Member)
- All-Party Parliamentary Group on Depleted Uranium (Secretary)
- All-Party Parliamentary Group on Weapons and Protection of Civilians (Member)
- All-Party Parliamentary Group for Women in Parliament (Member)
- British-Slovenia Group (Member)
- All-Party Parliamentary Group for Tibet (Member)
South West (European Parliament)
Earl William of Dartmouth MEP (UK Independence)
MEP Since - 2009 Born - 23/09/49. 10th Earl of Dartmouth.
Education - Eton. Christchurch College, Oxford. Harvard Business School.
Previous Occupation - Chartered Accountant, working in the United Arab Emirates (1975-77). Worked in the US for 6 years before returning to work in the UK in 1983 in finance, property and communications. Director, Hanson Transport. Chairman and Founder of Kirklees Cable.
Personal Overview - Former Conservative Peer who defected to the UK Independence party successfully gained election to the European Parliament at the 2009 elections. From a background in accountancy, he has worked in several countries, including the United Arab Emirates and US. A former Hereditary Peer, he lost his seat in the House of Lords in November 1999 in the Lords reforms of that year. Having reinvented himself as a UK Independence member he has the opportunity to use his accountancy skills to highlight any financial issues within the EU.
Political History - General Election candidate (Conservative) for Leigh (February 1974), Stockport South (October 1974). Succeeded his father to became a member of the House of Lords (1997-99). European Parliament candidate (1999). Joined the UK Independence Party (2007). Current prospective parliamentary candidate for Exeter. MEP South West Region (2009-). Member of the Committee on International Trade (2009-). Substitute member of the Foreign Affairs Committee.
Other Information - At Oxford he was elected Secretary of the Oxford Union.
Intergroups - N/a.
Business Tel: 32(0)2 28 49735
Interests: Business & Finance
- Foreign Affairs (Substitute)
- International Trade (Member)
Information supplied by Goveval. Send feedback to firstname.lastname@example.org