Mass enjoying his World Cup experience but not thinking about leaving Robins

Town midfielder Massimo Luongo

Town midfielder Massimo Luongo

First published in Sport The Wiltshire Gazette and Herald: Photograph of the Author by , Deputy sports editor, awarren@swindonadvertiser.co.uk, @AndyWarren_

MASSIMO Luongo admitted he is relishing the chance to make a name for himself at this summer’s World Cup but insisted that doesn’t automatically mean he will be looking to leave Swindon Town.

Last week the 21-year-old was called up to the Australian squad for Brazil, becoming just the third player to do so while representing the Robins, and is one of just two players from English football’s third tier to be called up for the tournament.

Despite now having the opportunity to put himself in the shop window, and potentially attract the interest of bigger clubs, Luongo insisted he was proud to represent Swindon at the World Cup and is happy at the Country Ground.

“I don’t know if I will play much, or if I will play at all, but it can’t hurt to get my name out there,” Luongo said.

“I don’t know if it’s the right decision to leave Swindon or if I want to, because I enjoy being at the club, but we’ll have to see after the World Cup.

“At the moment my focus is on being here.”

Luongo initially joined the Robins for a second loan spell at the start of last season before quickly making his move permanent, and went on to enjoy and impressive season in League One.

When asked if he would have made the World Cup squad if he had remained in the Tottenham reserves, Luongo said: “Probably not. Even if I was just on loan at Swindon and played as many games I would still be in the same spot.

“The permanent move gave me security and helped me settle so I could play better and more comfortably, but overall it’s been a good year for me.

“Swindon is a good level and it’s been good for me.”

While the World Cup is an all-new experience for Luongo, training with some the best players in the world certainly is not.

“Back at Tottenham I played with Modric, van der Vaart, a few of the England boys, Younes Kaboul and a few more,” he said.

“It was basically an international set-up so to go into that, coming from Australia, was massive for me and it really helped me.

“I wasn’t involved too much but the training was a great experience.”

Comments (24)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

7:18am Thu 12 Jun 14

mossy282 says...

Is Luongo the only player left at STFC? as all the news stories are about him in the last week? How about telling us fans what is going on with Ward?? Since he was "rested" in March there has been nothing reported about why he never played again last season or what is happening to him now??

Come on adver, start earning your money and go and find out!
Is Luongo the only player left at STFC? as all the news stories are about him in the last week? How about telling us fans what is going on with Ward?? Since he was "rested" in March there has been nothing reported about why he never played again last season or what is happening to him now?? Come on adver, start earning your money and go and find out! mossy282
  • Score: 11

7:25am Thu 12 Jun 14

Helpme234 says...

mossy282 wrote:
Is Luongo the only player left at STFC? as all the news stories are about him in the last week? How about telling us fans what is going on with Ward?? Since he was "rested" in March there has been nothing reported about why he never played again last season or what is happening to him now??

Come on adver, start earning your money and go and find out!
Pretty much the same with local radio - apart from Luongo it's all been about Salisbury City.
[quote][p][bold]mossy282[/bold] wrote: Is Luongo the only player left at STFC? as all the news stories are about him in the last week? How about telling us fans what is going on with Ward?? Since he was "rested" in March there has been nothing reported about why he never played again last season or what is happening to him now?? Come on adver, start earning your money and go and find out![/p][/quote]Pretty much the same with local radio - apart from Luongo it's all been about Salisbury City. Helpme234
  • Score: 1

8:22am Thu 12 Jun 14

London Red says...

What do people expect?
.
News is always quiet at this time of year and Mass is only the 3rd player EVER to be at a World Cup while a STFC player - so is going to be the most popular topic as the Tournement approaches
.
Sorry if this sounds sexist - but far more interested in Mass stories than the STFC Ladies news which has been published over the last few days
.
Though I do agree the Adver could do more and line up a series of interviews with the squad and ask them about their views on last season and their expectations for the current one
.
Easy to fill a paper for weeks with one a day, easy interviews to conduct and would be interesting to readers to see how the squad feel about the current campaign
What do people expect? . News is always quiet at this time of year and Mass is only the 3rd player EVER to be at a World Cup while a STFC player - so is going to be the most popular topic as the Tournement approaches . Sorry if this sounds sexist - but far more interested in Mass stories than the STFC Ladies news which has been published over the last few days . Though I do agree the Adver could do more and line up a series of interviews with the squad and ask them about their views on last season and their expectations for the current one . Easy to fill a paper for weeks with one a day, easy interviews to conduct and would be interesting to readers to see how the squad feel about the current campaign London Red
  • Score: 6

9:24am Thu 12 Jun 14

Coleview Red says...

London Red wrote:
What do people expect?
.
News is always quiet at this time of year and Mass is only the 3rd player EVER to be at a World Cup while a STFC player - so is going to be the most popular topic as the Tournement approaches
.
Sorry if this sounds sexist - but far more interested in Mass stories than the STFC Ladies news which has been published over the last few days
.
Though I do agree the Adver could do more and line up a series of interviews with the squad and ask them about their views on last season and their expectations for the current one
.
Easy to fill a paper for weeks with one a day, easy interviews to conduct and would be interesting to readers to see how the squad feel about the current campaign
The point is - it should not be quiet. Take a look at the BBC page for Div 1, plenty of transfer activity going on around us. Sooner this court case gets sorted the better, I assume that is the reason for lack of action?
[quote][p][bold]London Red[/bold] wrote: What do people expect? . News is always quiet at this time of year and Mass is only the 3rd player EVER to be at a World Cup while a STFC player - so is going to be the most popular topic as the Tournement approaches . Sorry if this sounds sexist - but far more interested in Mass stories than the STFC Ladies news which has been published over the last few days . Though I do agree the Adver could do more and line up a series of interviews with the squad and ask them about their views on last season and their expectations for the current one . Easy to fill a paper for weeks with one a day, easy interviews to conduct and would be interesting to readers to see how the squad feel about the current campaign[/p][/quote]The point is - it should not be quiet. Take a look at the BBC page for Div 1, plenty of transfer activity going on around us. Sooner this court case gets sorted the better, I assume that is the reason for lack of action? Coleview Red
  • Score: 5

9:26am Thu 12 Jun 14

Coleview Red says...

Coleview Red wrote:
London Red wrote:
What do people expect?
.
News is always quiet at this time of year and Mass is only the 3rd player EVER to be at a World Cup while a STFC player - so is going to be the most popular topic as the Tournement approaches
.
Sorry if this sounds sexist - but far more interested in Mass stories than the STFC Ladies news which has been published over the last few days
.
Though I do agree the Adver could do more and line up a series of interviews with the squad and ask them about their views on last season and their expectations for the current one
.
Easy to fill a paper for weeks with one a day, easy interviews to conduct and would be interesting to readers to see how the squad feel about the current campaign
The point is - it should not be quiet. Take a look at the BBC page for Div 1, plenty of transfer activity going on around us. Sooner this court case gets sorted the better, I assume that is the reason for lack of action?
Oops, forgot to say - good luck Mass, hope it goes well for you.
[quote][p][bold]Coleview Red[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]London Red[/bold] wrote: What do people expect? . News is always quiet at this time of year and Mass is only the 3rd player EVER to be at a World Cup while a STFC player - so is going to be the most popular topic as the Tournement approaches . Sorry if this sounds sexist - but far more interested in Mass stories than the STFC Ladies news which has been published over the last few days . Though I do agree the Adver could do more and line up a series of interviews with the squad and ask them about their views on last season and their expectations for the current one . Easy to fill a paper for weeks with one a day, easy interviews to conduct and would be interesting to readers to see how the squad feel about the current campaign[/p][/quote]The point is - it should not be quiet. Take a look at the BBC page for Div 1, plenty of transfer activity going on around us. Sooner this court case gets sorted the better, I assume that is the reason for lack of action?[/p][/quote]Oops, forgot to say - good luck Mass, hope it goes well for you. Coleview Red
  • Score: 0

9:39am Thu 12 Jun 14

GiulianoGrazioli says...

it's been really poor on here... no activity whatsoever, even if the club are quiet then the adver should be looking to fill news stories which sell.

rumours to players signing, news on team, are the team training away in another country when they return for pre-season... new sponsorship... when is the new kit revealed? etc etc etc...

Flic wiltshires coverage has been better these days...
fact for me is, when it's quieter the adver should work harder to fill the paper with stories, interviews as its a time when their paper can be less profitable. suprisd there are no world cup features even with the public on their thoughts for the WC.
it's been really poor on here... no activity whatsoever, even if the club are quiet then the adver should be looking to fill news stories which sell. rumours to players signing, news on team, are the team training away in another country when they return for pre-season... new sponsorship... when is the new kit revealed? etc etc etc... Flic wiltshires coverage has been better these days... fact for me is, when it's quieter the adver should work harder to fill the paper with stories, interviews as its a time when their paper can be less profitable. suprisd there are no world cup features even with the public on their thoughts for the WC. GiulianoGrazioli
  • Score: 2

10:41am Thu 12 Jun 14

Graham8181 says...

mossy282 wrote:
Is Luongo the only player left at STFC? as all the news stories are about him in the last week? How about telling us fans what is going on with Ward?? Since he was "restedcouldn't agree more. is there anything else we can read about? bored of this now. also this story actually frustrates me, why is he already taking about Swindon and leaving in the same bracket? surely he should just be talking about how happy he is to have been called up for his country to sit on the bench, not about leaving us when he gets back.
[quote][p][bold]mossy282[/bold] wrote: Is Luongo the only player left at STFC? as all the news stories are about him in the last week? How about telling us fans what is going on with Ward?? Since he was "restedcouldn't agree more. is there anything else we can read about? bored of this now. also this story actually frustrates me, why is he already taking about Swindon and leaving in the same bracket? surely he should just be talking about how happy he is to have been called up for his country to sit on the bench, not about leaving us when he gets back. Graham8181
  • Score: 0

10:42am Thu 12 Jun 14

Graham8181 says...

Graham8181 wrote:
mossy282 wrote:
Is Luongo the only player left at STFC? as all the news stories are about him in the last week? How about telling us fans what is going on with Ward?? Since he was "restedcouldn't agree more. is there anything else we can read about? bored of this now. also this story actually frustrates me, why is he already taking about Swindon and leaving in the same bracket? surely he should just be talking about how happy he is to have been called up for his country to sit on the bench, not about leaving us when he gets back.couldn't agree more. is there anything else we can read about? bored of this now. also this story actually frustrates me, why is he already taking about Swindon and leaving in the same bracket? surely he should just be talking about how happy he is to have been called up for his country to sit on the bench, not about leaving us when he gets back.
[quote][p][bold]Graham8181[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]mossy282[/bold] wrote: Is Luongo the only player left at STFC? as all the news stories are about him in the last week? How about telling us fans what is going on with Ward?? Since he was "restedcouldn't agree more. is there anything else we can read about? bored of this now. also this story actually frustrates me, why is he already taking about Swindon and leaving in the same bracket? surely he should just be talking about how happy he is to have been called up for his country to sit on the bench, not about leaving us when he gets back.[/p][/quote]couldn't agree more. is there anything else we can read about? bored of this now. also this story actually frustrates me, why is he already taking about Swindon and leaving in the same bracket? surely he should just be talking about how happy he is to have been called up for his country to sit on the bench, not about leaving us when he gets back. Graham8181
  • Score: 0

11:37am Thu 12 Jun 14

London Red says...

Coleview Red wrote:
London Red wrote: What do people expect? . News is always quiet at this time of year and Mass is only the 3rd player EVER to be at a World Cup while a STFC player - so is going to be the most popular topic as the Tournement approaches . Sorry if this sounds sexist - but far more interested in Mass stories than the STFC Ladies news which has been published over the last few days . Though I do agree the Adver could do more and line up a series of interviews with the squad and ask them about their views on last season and their expectations for the current one . Easy to fill a paper for weeks with one a day, easy interviews to conduct and would be interesting to readers to see how the squad feel about the current campaign
The point is - it should not be quiet. Take a look at the BBC page for Div 1, plenty of transfer activity going on around us. Sooner this court case gets sorted the better, I assume that is the reason for lack of action?
The BBC is extremely quiet - if you think that is busy you obviously have never looked at it during the season - it is updating with what 1 story a day!
.
As for "all this transfer activity going on" - tell me one player we have "missed out on"?
.
Tommy Rowe is the only signing that sparks any interest whats so ever - but the fact he has gone to Wolves shows that was never realistic - so not one we have missed
.
We all know that Power doesn't like to operate in media as it can scuffer deals - I fully expect he has sat down with and Cooper and Williams and have identified the players they want and he is now working on these deals in the background
.
Just because the adver is on holiday doesn't mean Power is
[quote][p][bold]Coleview Red[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]London Red[/bold] wrote: What do people expect? . News is always quiet at this time of year and Mass is only the 3rd player EVER to be at a World Cup while a STFC player - so is going to be the most popular topic as the Tournement approaches . Sorry if this sounds sexist - but far more interested in Mass stories than the STFC Ladies news which has been published over the last few days . Though I do agree the Adver could do more and line up a series of interviews with the squad and ask them about their views on last season and their expectations for the current one . Easy to fill a paper for weeks with one a day, easy interviews to conduct and would be interesting to readers to see how the squad feel about the current campaign[/p][/quote]The point is - it should not be quiet. Take a look at the BBC page for Div 1, plenty of transfer activity going on around us. Sooner this court case gets sorted the better, I assume that is the reason for lack of action?[/p][/quote]The BBC is extremely quiet - if you think that is busy you obviously have never looked at it during the season - it is updating with what 1 story a day! . As for "all this transfer activity going on" - tell me one player we have "missed out on"? . Tommy Rowe is the only signing that sparks any interest whats so ever - but the fact he has gone to Wolves shows that was never realistic - so not one we have missed . We all know that Power doesn't like to operate in media as it can scuffer deals - I fully expect he has sat down with and Cooper and Williams and have identified the players they want and he is now working on these deals in the background . Just because the adver is on holiday doesn't mean Power is London Red
  • Score: 2

12:01pm Thu 12 Jun 14

London Red says...

London Red wrote:
Coleview Red wrote:
London Red wrote: What do people expect? . News is always quiet at this time of year and Mass is only the 3rd player EVER to be at a World Cup while a STFC player - so is going to be the most popular topic as the Tournement approaches . Sorry if this sounds sexist - but far more interested in Mass stories than the STFC Ladies news which has been published over the last few days . Though I do agree the Adver could do more and line up a series of interviews with the squad and ask them about their views on last season and their expectations for the current one . Easy to fill a paper for weeks with one a day, easy interviews to conduct and would be interesting to readers to see how the squad feel about the current campaign
The point is - it should not be quiet. Take a look at the BBC page for Div 1, plenty of transfer activity going on around us. Sooner this court case gets sorted the better, I assume that is the reason for lack of action?
The BBC is extremely quiet - if you think that is busy you obviously have never looked at it during the season - it is updating with what 1 story a day! . As for "all this transfer activity going on" - tell me one player we have "missed out on"? . Tommy Rowe is the only signing that sparks any interest whats so ever - but the fact he has gone to Wolves shows that was never realistic - so not one we have missed . We all know that Power doesn't like to operate in media as it can scuffer deals - I fully expect he has sat down with and Cooper and Williams and have identified the players they want and he is now working on these deals in the background . Just because the adver is on holiday doesn't mean Power is
Sorry - Butler going to Sheff U is another of interest - but considering he is Northern and wanted to move back up North - that too probably was never a realistic target
[quote][p][bold]London Red[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Coleview Red[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]London Red[/bold] wrote: What do people expect? . News is always quiet at this time of year and Mass is only the 3rd player EVER to be at a World Cup while a STFC player - so is going to be the most popular topic as the Tournement approaches . Sorry if this sounds sexist - but far more interested in Mass stories than the STFC Ladies news which has been published over the last few days . Though I do agree the Adver could do more and line up a series of interviews with the squad and ask them about their views on last season and their expectations for the current one . Easy to fill a paper for weeks with one a day, easy interviews to conduct and would be interesting to readers to see how the squad feel about the current campaign[/p][/quote]The point is - it should not be quiet. Take a look at the BBC page for Div 1, plenty of transfer activity going on around us. Sooner this court case gets sorted the better, I assume that is the reason for lack of action?[/p][/quote]The BBC is extremely quiet - if you think that is busy you obviously have never looked at it during the season - it is updating with what 1 story a day! . As for "all this transfer activity going on" - tell me one player we have "missed out on"? . Tommy Rowe is the only signing that sparks any interest whats so ever - but the fact he has gone to Wolves shows that was never realistic - so not one we have missed . We all know that Power doesn't like to operate in media as it can scuffer deals - I fully expect he has sat down with and Cooper and Williams and have identified the players they want and he is now working on these deals in the background . Just because the adver is on holiday doesn't mean Power is[/p][/quote]Sorry - Butler going to Sheff U is another of interest - but considering he is Northern and wanted to move back up North - that too probably was never a realistic target London Red
  • Score: 0

1:17pm Thu 12 Jun 14

Swindon1984 says...

Graham8181 wrote:
mossy282 wrote: Is Luongo the only player left at STFC? as all the news stories are about him in the last week? How about telling us fans what is going on with Ward?? Since he was "restedcouldn't agree more. is there anything else we can read about? bored of this now. also this story actually frustrates me, why is he already taking about Swindon and leaving in the same bracket? surely he should just be talking about how happy he is to have been called up for his country to sit on the bench, not about leaving us when he gets back.Totally irrelevant to this (and any other!) thread on the site, but I had a dream last night that I was sitting listening to the radio, and a story came on about the town having an injection of cash as a result of agreeing a ground share with Gloucester rugby club. Have absolutely no idea how that notion would have permeated into my subconscious but thought I'd share regardless :-)

As for your point, you know the way these interviews go, the question won't have popped up organically and I wouldn't read too much into it. He's probably been asked something to the effect of, "so, now you're an international player selected for a world cup tournament, are you setting your sights on a club at a higher level/away from the county ground/etc?" to which he's responded quite rightly that he's not going to think about that on the eve of possibly the biggest fortnight of his career - the question's probably a bit aggravating to a player in that situation really, as doubtless they don't want to think about their club football when they're about to be involved in an international tournament for the first time.

As I say, wouldn't read too much into it. We see this thing all the time, think X Factor - the candidate gets asked a question, they might reply, "yeah, I suppose?" and will then be told to repeat the statement the interviewer said as a self contained sentence so it can be used as a soundbite. Unfortunately that's how some fairly normal people can be portrayed as being whatever kind of idiot the show wants them to be - you only hear the soundbite, not the babble that goes on beforehand. Media training would be a bonus for a lot of people in that situation as one of the things it shows you is how to answer in such a way as to limit how ambiguous your response can be interpreted.
[quote][p][bold]Graham8181[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]mossy282[/bold] wrote: Is Luongo the only player left at STFC? as all the news stories are about him in the last week? How about telling us fans what is going on with Ward?? Since he was "restedcouldn't agree more. is there anything else we can read about? bored of this now. also this story actually frustrates me, why is he already taking about Swindon and leaving in the same bracket? surely he should just be talking about how happy he is to have been called up for his country to sit on the bench, not about leaving us when he gets back.[/p][/quote]Totally irrelevant to this (and any other!) thread on the site, but I had a dream last night that I was sitting listening to the radio, and a story came on about the town having an injection of cash as a result of agreeing a ground share with Gloucester rugby club. Have absolutely no idea how that notion would have permeated into my subconscious but thought I'd share regardless :-) As for your point, you know the way these interviews go, the question won't have popped up organically and I wouldn't read too much into it. He's probably been asked something to the effect of, "so, now you're an international player selected for a world cup tournament, are you setting your sights on a club at a higher level/away from the county ground/etc?" to which he's responded quite rightly that he's not going to think about that on the eve of possibly the biggest fortnight of his career - the question's probably a bit aggravating to a player in that situation really, as doubtless they don't want to think about their club football when they're about to be involved in an international tournament for the first time. As I say, wouldn't read too much into it. We see this thing all the time, think X Factor - the candidate gets asked a question, they might reply, "yeah, I suppose?" and will then be told to repeat the statement the interviewer said as a self contained sentence so it can be used as a soundbite. Unfortunately that's how some fairly normal people can be portrayed as being whatever kind of idiot the show wants them to be - you only hear the soundbite, not the babble that goes on beforehand. Media training would be a bonus for a lot of people in that situation as one of the things it shows you is how to answer in such a way as to limit how ambiguous your response can be interpreted. Swindon1984
  • Score: 1

2:32pm Thu 12 Jun 14

Oi Den! says...

I don't mind it being quiet. It's the close season. Many people, including players and managers - will be on holiday. The Luongo stories are getting tedious though. Yes, he's at the World Cup, which is newsworthy but we had all that last week. It's become very repetitive. Interesting that he says he's not thinking of leaving but that it's good to get his name out there. What other reason would he have for wanting his name out there?
I don't mind it being quiet. It's the close season. Many people, including players and managers - will be on holiday. The Luongo stories are getting tedious though. Yes, he's at the World Cup, which is newsworthy but we had all that last week. It's become very repetitive. Interesting that he says he's not thinking of leaving but that it's good to get his name out there. What other reason would he have for wanting his name out there? Oi Den!
  • Score: 1

3:16pm Thu 12 Jun 14

London Red says...

Oi Den! wrote:
I don't mind it being quiet. It's the close season. Many people, including players and managers - will be on holiday. The Luongo stories are getting tedious though. Yes, he's at the World Cup, which is newsworthy but we had all that last week. It's become very repetitive. Interesting that he says he's not thinking of leaving but that it's good to get his name out there. What other reason would he have for wanting his name out there?
Better contract with STFC?
.
Never did Rooney or Gerrard any harm!
[quote][p][bold]Oi Den![/bold] wrote: I don't mind it being quiet. It's the close season. Many people, including players and managers - will be on holiday. The Luongo stories are getting tedious though. Yes, he's at the World Cup, which is newsworthy but we had all that last week. It's become very repetitive. Interesting that he says he's not thinking of leaving but that it's good to get his name out there. What other reason would he have for wanting his name out there?[/p][/quote]Better contract with STFC? . Never did Rooney or Gerrard any harm! London Red
  • Score: 0

3:17pm Thu 12 Jun 14

London Red says...

London Red wrote:
Oi Den! wrote: I don't mind it being quiet. It's the close season. Many people, including players and managers - will be on holiday. The Luongo stories are getting tedious though. Yes, he's at the World Cup, which is newsworthy but we had all that last week. It's become very repetitive. Interesting that he says he's not thinking of leaving but that it's good to get his name out there. What other reason would he have for wanting his name out there?
Better contract with STFC? . Never did Rooney or Gerrard any harm!
Sponsorship deals?
[quote][p][bold]London Red[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Oi Den![/bold] wrote: I don't mind it being quiet. It's the close season. Many people, including players and managers - will be on holiday. The Luongo stories are getting tedious though. Yes, he's at the World Cup, which is newsworthy but we had all that last week. It's become very repetitive. Interesting that he says he's not thinking of leaving but that it's good to get his name out there. What other reason would he have for wanting his name out there?[/p][/quote]Better contract with STFC? . Never did Rooney or Gerrard any harm![/p][/quote]Sponsorship deals? London Red
  • Score: 0

4:12pm Thu 12 Jun 14

Swindon1984 says...

London Red wrote:
Oi Den! wrote: I don't mind it being quiet. It's the close season. Many people, including players and managers - will be on holiday. The Luongo stories are getting tedious though. Yes, he's at the World Cup, which is newsworthy but we had all that last week. It's become very repetitive. Interesting that he says he's not thinking of leaving but that it's good to get his name out there. What other reason would he have for wanting his name out there?
Better contract with STFC? . Never did Rooney or Gerrard any harm!
Recognition, another bit to stick on the CV, could be all sorts of reasons. Not necessarily that he wants out immediately, but obviously players want to do the best they can and it's something else that will make him attractive either to us or another club.
[quote][p][bold]London Red[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Oi Den![/bold] wrote: I don't mind it being quiet. It's the close season. Many people, including players and managers - will be on holiday. The Luongo stories are getting tedious though. Yes, he's at the World Cup, which is newsworthy but we had all that last week. It's become very repetitive. Interesting that he says he's not thinking of leaving but that it's good to get his name out there. What other reason would he have for wanting his name out there?[/p][/quote]Better contract with STFC? . Never did Rooney or Gerrard any harm![/p][/quote]Recognition, another bit to stick on the CV, could be all sorts of reasons. Not necessarily that he wants out immediately, but obviously players want to do the best they can and it's something else that will make him attractive either to us or another club. Swindon1984
  • Score: 0

5:05pm Thu 12 Jun 14

London Red says...

Swindon1984 wrote:
London Red wrote:
Oi Den! wrote: I don't mind it being quiet. It's the close season. Many people, including players and managers - will be on holiday. The Luongo stories are getting tedious though. Yes, he's at the World Cup, which is newsworthy but we had all that last week. It's become very repetitive. Interesting that he says he's not thinking of leaving but that it's good to get his name out there. What other reason would he have for wanting his name out there?
Better contract with STFC? . Never did Rooney or Gerrard any harm!
Recognition, another bit to stick on the CV, could be all sorts of reasons. Not necessarily that he wants out immediately, but obviously players want to do the best they can and it's something else that will make him attractive either to us or another club.
Exactly - making the squad won't suddenly have the Championship queuing up - but it will probably make a fair few scout him more
.
Then next year if he puts in another stella season (which everyone outside some of our own fans thinks he did) then he might get an offer to move to a bigger club
.
However - if we go up then that need to move will disappear - as it would for our other stars like Wes and the Thompsons
.
That is what Power wants = so now he should be in a better position to shape the squad - lets see if he can help obtain the ingrediants for Cooper to deliver
[quote][p][bold]Swindon1984[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]London Red[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Oi Den![/bold] wrote: I don't mind it being quiet. It's the close season. Many people, including players and managers - will be on holiday. The Luongo stories are getting tedious though. Yes, he's at the World Cup, which is newsworthy but we had all that last week. It's become very repetitive. Interesting that he says he's not thinking of leaving but that it's good to get his name out there. What other reason would he have for wanting his name out there?[/p][/quote]Better contract with STFC? . Never did Rooney or Gerrard any harm![/p][/quote]Recognition, another bit to stick on the CV, could be all sorts of reasons. Not necessarily that he wants out immediately, but obviously players want to do the best they can and it's something else that will make him attractive either to us or another club.[/p][/quote]Exactly - making the squad won't suddenly have the Championship queuing up - but it will probably make a fair few scout him more . Then next year if he puts in another stella season (which everyone outside some of our own fans thinks he did) then he might get an offer to move to a bigger club . However - if we go up then that need to move will disappear - as it would for our other stars like Wes and the Thompsons . That is what Power wants = so now he should be in a better position to shape the squad - lets see if he can help obtain the ingrediants for Cooper to deliver London Red
  • Score: 0

5:17pm Thu 12 Jun 14

harrymorris says...

Sam Jordan signs for Swindon. I want to hear that we are taking a gamble on him.
Sam Jordan signs for Swindon. I want to hear that we are taking a gamble on him. harrymorris
  • Score: 0

10:14pm Thu 12 Jun 14

Oi Den! says...

London Red wrote:
Swindon1984 wrote:
London Red wrote:
Oi Den! wrote: I don't mind it being quiet. It's the close season. Many people, including players and managers - will be on holiday. The Luongo stories are getting tedious though. Yes, he's at the World Cup, which is newsworthy but we had all that last week. It's become very repetitive. Interesting that he says he's not thinking of leaving but that it's good to get his name out there. What other reason would he have for wanting his name out there?
Better contract with STFC? . Never did Rooney or Gerrard any harm!
Recognition, another bit to stick on the CV, could be all sorts of reasons. Not necessarily that he wants out immediately, but obviously players want to do the best they can and it's something else that will make him attractive either to us or another club.
Exactly - making the squad won't suddenly have the Championship queuing up - but it will probably make a fair few scout him more
.
Then next year if he puts in another stella season (which everyone outside some of our own fans thinks he did) then he might get an offer to move to a bigger club
.
However - if we go up then that need to move will disappear - as it would for our other stars like Wes and the Thompsons
.
That is what Power wants = so now he should be in a better position to shape the squad - lets see if he can help obtain the ingrediants for Cooper to deliver
Stellar season? You really can't be serious. Average would be a fair description. None of our players had a better than average season but as a team they managed to be just a bit better than average. All credit to the manager for that.
[quote][p][bold]London Red[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Swindon1984[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]London Red[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Oi Den![/bold] wrote: I don't mind it being quiet. It's the close season. Many people, including players and managers - will be on holiday. The Luongo stories are getting tedious though. Yes, he's at the World Cup, which is newsworthy but we had all that last week. It's become very repetitive. Interesting that he says he's not thinking of leaving but that it's good to get his name out there. What other reason would he have for wanting his name out there?[/p][/quote]Better contract with STFC? . Never did Rooney or Gerrard any harm![/p][/quote]Recognition, another bit to stick on the CV, could be all sorts of reasons. Not necessarily that he wants out immediately, but obviously players want to do the best they can and it's something else that will make him attractive either to us or another club.[/p][/quote]Exactly - making the squad won't suddenly have the Championship queuing up - but it will probably make a fair few scout him more . Then next year if he puts in another stella season (which everyone outside some of our own fans thinks he did) then he might get an offer to move to a bigger club . However - if we go up then that need to move will disappear - as it would for our other stars like Wes and the Thompsons . That is what Power wants = so now he should be in a better position to shape the squad - lets see if he can help obtain the ingrediants for Cooper to deliver[/p][/quote]Stellar season? You really can't be serious. Average would be a fair description. None of our players had a better than average season but as a team they managed to be just a bit better than average. All credit to the manager for that. Oi Den!
  • Score: -2

9:08am Fri 13 Jun 14

whickergoose says...

I'm not in the least bit worried about the stories the Adver are covering, however, what does concern me is that the title of this piece suggests Luongo is not thinking of leaving us, but he's quoted as saying "I don’t know if it’s the right decision to leave Swindon or if I want to, because I enjoy being at the club, but we’ll have to see after the World Cup". That actually suggests he is considering his options - and if he does manage to get some game time and does do well will other clubs come knocking?

Just a concern is all......
I'm not in the least bit worried about the stories the Adver are covering, however, what does concern me is that the title of this piece suggests Luongo is not thinking of leaving us, but he's quoted as saying "I don’t know if it’s the right decision to leave Swindon or if I want to, because I enjoy being at the club, but we’ll have to see after the World Cup". That actually suggests he is considering his options - and if he does manage to get some game time and does do well will other clubs come knocking? Just a concern is all...... whickergoose
  • Score: 1

9:38am Fri 13 Jun 14

Wilesy says...

whickergoose wrote:
I'm not in the least bit worried about the stories the Adver are covering, however, what does concern me is that the title of this piece suggests Luongo is not thinking of leaving us, but he's quoted as saying "I don’t know if it’s the right decision to leave Swindon or if I want to, because I enjoy being at the club, but we’ll have to see after the World Cup". That actually suggests he is considering his options - and if he does manage to get some game time and does do well will other clubs come knocking?

Just a concern is all......
Fully agree on that - it's definitely not an emphatic 'I love Swindon and I want to stay'.

One thing is for sure though and if he does play and plays well there is no way he will be at Swindon next season and I say fair play to him if that happens, he will have taken his opportunity and then got his reward.

I know people are divided on our Spurs connection but regardless of how well we think the loans / perms have done this season, Hall is now at Championship Birmingham, Pritchard officially recognised as one of the top 3 players outside the Premiership, and Luongo now at the World Cup. We've seen glimpses of Mason and barring injury he may have shone too, just Byrne really who needs another season although has improved (except when played up front)

Clearly the message to top clubs remains send your players to Swindon and they will develop...

Kasim, M Smith, Ajose, Gladwin, Louis, Nathan, Branco and Troy have all enhanced their reputations this season from where they were at the start.

From a footballing perspective Ranger did too, although clearly he has scuppered his chances of progression until he loses his obsession with bothering the law.
[quote][p][bold]whickergoose[/bold] wrote: I'm not in the least bit worried about the stories the Adver are covering, however, what does concern me is that the title of this piece suggests Luongo is not thinking of leaving us, but he's quoted as saying "I don’t know if it’s the right decision to leave Swindon or if I want to, because I enjoy being at the club, but we’ll have to see after the World Cup". That actually suggests he is considering his options - and if he does manage to get some game time and does do well will other clubs come knocking? Just a concern is all......[/p][/quote]Fully agree on that - it's definitely not an emphatic 'I love Swindon and I want to stay'. One thing is for sure though and if he does play and plays well there is no way he will be at Swindon next season and I say fair play to him if that happens, he will have taken his opportunity and then got his reward. I know people are divided on our Spurs connection but regardless of how well we think the loans / perms have done this season, Hall is now at Championship Birmingham, Pritchard officially recognised as one of the top 3 players outside the Premiership, and Luongo now at the World Cup. We've seen glimpses of Mason and barring injury he may have shone too, just Byrne really who needs another season although has improved (except when played up front) Clearly the message to top clubs remains send your players to Swindon and they will develop... Kasim, M Smith, Ajose, Gladwin, Louis, Nathan, Branco and Troy have all enhanced their reputations this season from where they were at the start. From a footballing perspective Ranger did too, although clearly he has scuppered his chances of progression until he loses his obsession with bothering the law. Wilesy
  • Score: 0

12:13pm Fri 13 Jun 14

London Red says...

Oi Den! wrote:
London Red wrote:
Swindon1984 wrote:
London Red wrote:
Oi Den! wrote: I don't mind it being quiet. It's the close season. Many people, including players and managers - will be on holiday. The Luongo stories are getting tedious though. Yes, he's at the World Cup, which is newsworthy but we had all that last week. It's become very repetitive. Interesting that he says he's not thinking of leaving but that it's good to get his name out there. What other reason would he have for wanting his name out there?
Better contract with STFC? . Never did Rooney or Gerrard any harm!
Recognition, another bit to stick on the CV, could be all sorts of reasons. Not necessarily that he wants out immediately, but obviously players want to do the best they can and it's something else that will make him attractive either to us or another club.
Exactly - making the squad won't suddenly have the Championship queuing up - but it will probably make a fair few scout him more . Then next year if he puts in another stella season (which everyone outside some of our own fans thinks he did) then he might get an offer to move to a bigger club . However - if we go up then that need to move will disappear - as it would for our other stars like Wes and the Thompsons . That is what Power wants = so now he should be in a better position to shape the squad - lets see if he can help obtain the ingrediants for Cooper to deliver
Stellar season? You really can't be serious. Average would be a fair description. None of our players had a better than average season but as a team they managed to be just a bit better than average. All credit to the manager for that.
This is what I don't get about a large portion of our fans on here - the total contridiction in their views and arguemtents!
.
You have been saying all season how poor the squad was built, how many holes there are in it and yet now an 8th placed finish is "only just better than average"
.
I think we had a pretty good season with a young and inexperienced squad - who played some exceptional football at times - some of the games were the best we have seen for a long time!
.
Yes we had a sticky patch in the middle - but guess what - that is what young and inexperienced squad do!
.
We then came through that and produced some stunning performaces including beating Preston, Sheff U and Championship bound Brentford
.
Also despite a poor sleepy opening were it looked like we were already on holiday - we recovered and more than matched Championship bound Rotherham - a game where Luongo rightfully was award MOTM for an excellent perfomance
.
Now you may have unrealistic expectations of a player and expect him to be as good as Ronaldo week in week out - but I don't!
.
I fully understand that Luongo (and others) would be up and down - because they are young and also L1 players- but overall as our 8th place finish, good League Cup Run and Area Final spot in the JPT demonstrated that we were up more than down!
,
Luongo put in some stunning performances this year and because of that is going to the World Cup and has attracted interest from a higher division
.
So yes I am serious - you can have your opinion and are entitled to it but As I said it seems you and a few others on here are alone compared to the rest of the footballing world
[quote][p][bold]Oi Den![/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]London Red[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Swindon1984[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]London Red[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Oi Den![/bold] wrote: I don't mind it being quiet. It's the close season. Many people, including players and managers - will be on holiday. The Luongo stories are getting tedious though. Yes, he's at the World Cup, which is newsworthy but we had all that last week. It's become very repetitive. Interesting that he says he's not thinking of leaving but that it's good to get his name out there. What other reason would he have for wanting his name out there?[/p][/quote]Better contract with STFC? . Never did Rooney or Gerrard any harm![/p][/quote]Recognition, another bit to stick on the CV, could be all sorts of reasons. Not necessarily that he wants out immediately, but obviously players want to do the best they can and it's something else that will make him attractive either to us or another club.[/p][/quote]Exactly - making the squad won't suddenly have the Championship queuing up - but it will probably make a fair few scout him more . Then next year if he puts in another stella season (which everyone outside some of our own fans thinks he did) then he might get an offer to move to a bigger club . However - if we go up then that need to move will disappear - as it would for our other stars like Wes and the Thompsons . That is what Power wants = so now he should be in a better position to shape the squad - lets see if he can help obtain the ingrediants for Cooper to deliver[/p][/quote]Stellar season? You really can't be serious. Average would be a fair description. None of our players had a better than average season but as a team they managed to be just a bit better than average. All credit to the manager for that.[/p][/quote]This is what I don't get about a large portion of our fans on here - the total contridiction in their views and arguemtents! . You have been saying all season how poor the squad was built, how many holes there are in it and yet now an 8th placed finish is "only just better than average" . I think we had a pretty good season with a young and inexperienced squad - who played some exceptional football at times - some of the games were the best we have seen for a long time! . Yes we had a sticky patch in the middle - but guess what - that is what young and inexperienced squad do! . We then came through that and produced some stunning performaces including beating Preston, Sheff U and Championship bound Brentford . Also despite a poor sleepy opening were it looked like we were already on holiday - we recovered and more than matched Championship bound Rotherham - a game where Luongo rightfully was award MOTM for an excellent perfomance . Now you may have unrealistic expectations of a player and expect him to be as good as Ronaldo week in week out - but I don't! . I fully understand that Luongo (and others) would be up and down - because they are young and also L1 players- but overall as our 8th place finish, good League Cup Run and Area Final spot in the JPT demonstrated that we were up more than down! , Luongo put in some stunning performances this year and because of that is going to the World Cup and has attracted interest from a higher division . So yes I am serious - you can have your opinion and are entitled to it but As I said it seems you and a few others on here are alone compared to the rest of the footballing world London Red
  • Score: 2

3:03pm Fri 13 Jun 14

London Red says...

harrymorris wrote:
Sam Jordan signs for Swindon. I want to hear that we are taking a gamble on him.
Only thing is he is 25 - so unlikely to be an Austin who was scoring for fun at that level but still only 21
.
Why has no one picked him up already if L1 or above quality?????
[quote][p][bold]harrymorris[/bold] wrote: Sam Jordan signs for Swindon. I want to hear that we are taking a gamble on him.[/p][/quote]Only thing is he is 25 - so unlikely to be an Austin who was scoring for fun at that level but still only 21 . Why has no one picked him up already if L1 or above quality????? London Red
  • Score: 0

3:16pm Fri 13 Jun 14

Oi Den! says...

London Red wrote:
Oi Den! wrote:
London Red wrote:
Swindon1984 wrote:
London Red wrote:
Oi Den! wrote: I don't mind it being quiet. It's the close season. Many people, including players and managers - will be on holiday. The Luongo stories are getting tedious though. Yes, he's at the World Cup, which is newsworthy but we had all that last week. It's become very repetitive. Interesting that he says he's not thinking of leaving but that it's good to get his name out there. What other reason would he have for wanting his name out there?
Better contract with STFC? . Never did Rooney or Gerrard any harm!
Recognition, another bit to stick on the CV, could be all sorts of reasons. Not necessarily that he wants out immediately, but obviously players want to do the best they can and it's something else that will make him attractive either to us or another club.
Exactly - making the squad won't suddenly have the Championship queuing up - but it will probably make a fair few scout him more . Then next year if he puts in another stella season (which everyone outside some of our own fans thinks he did) then he might get an offer to move to a bigger club . However - if we go up then that need to move will disappear - as it would for our other stars like Wes and the Thompsons . That is what Power wants = so now he should be in a better position to shape the squad - lets see if he can help obtain the ingrediants for Cooper to deliver
Stellar season? You really can't be serious. Average would be a fair description. None of our players had a better than average season but as a team they managed to be just a bit better than average. All credit to the manager for that.
This is what I don't get about a large portion of our fans on here - the total contridiction in their views and arguemtents!
.
You have been saying all season how poor the squad was built, how many holes there are in it and yet now an 8th placed finish is "only just better than average"
.
I think we had a pretty good season with a young and inexperienced squad - who played some exceptional football at times - some of the games were the best we have seen for a long time!
.
Yes we had a sticky patch in the middle - but guess what - that is what young and inexperienced squad do!
.
We then came through that and produced some stunning performaces including beating Preston, Sheff U and Championship bound Brentford
.
Also despite a poor sleepy opening were it looked like we were already on holiday - we recovered and more than matched Championship bound Rotherham - a game where Luongo rightfully was award MOTM for an excellent perfomance
.
Now you may have unrealistic expectations of a player and expect him to be as good as Ronaldo week in week out - but I don't!
.
I fully understand that Luongo (and others) would be up and down - because they are young and also L1 players- but overall as our 8th place finish, good League Cup Run and Area Final spot in the JPT demonstrated that we were up more than down!
,
Luongo put in some stunning performances this year and because of that is going to the World Cup and has attracted interest from a higher division
.
So yes I am serious - you can have your opinion and are entitled to it but As I said it seems you and a few others on here are alone compared to the rest of the footballing world
So the rest of the footballing world thinks Luongo had an outstanding season. Are you sure LR? You're the only person who's said it. Not many weeks ago there were people on here saying we were stitched up if we paid the reported fee of £400k. Luongo didn't even win the Player of the Year trophy. Nathan Thompson did - and by no stretch of the imagination could his season be described as stellar. Overall Luongo did not have a great season or a poor one. He was somewhere between the two. And of course we were a bit better than average as a team. There are 24 teams in the division. So 8th is a bit above average isn't it? That's not inconsistent with anything I've said. The squad had a number of weaknesses in it - weaknesses that I thought would drag us towards the bottom of the table. I was pleased to be proved wrong. The manager somehow got us to a position that was a bit better than average. I don't see why should find that so disagreeable. You seem to be offended by any comment that does not amount to lavish praise of our players.
[quote][p][bold]London Red[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Oi Den![/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]London Red[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Swindon1984[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]London Red[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Oi Den![/bold] wrote: I don't mind it being quiet. It's the close season. Many people, including players and managers - will be on holiday. The Luongo stories are getting tedious though. Yes, he's at the World Cup, which is newsworthy but we had all that last week. It's become very repetitive. Interesting that he says he's not thinking of leaving but that it's good to get his name out there. What other reason would he have for wanting his name out there?[/p][/quote]Better contract with STFC? . Never did Rooney or Gerrard any harm![/p][/quote]Recognition, another bit to stick on the CV, could be all sorts of reasons. Not necessarily that he wants out immediately, but obviously players want to do the best they can and it's something else that will make him attractive either to us or another club.[/p][/quote]Exactly - making the squad won't suddenly have the Championship queuing up - but it will probably make a fair few scout him more . Then next year if he puts in another stella season (which everyone outside some of our own fans thinks he did) then he might get an offer to move to a bigger club . However - if we go up then that need to move will disappear - as it would for our other stars like Wes and the Thompsons . That is what Power wants = so now he should be in a better position to shape the squad - lets see if he can help obtain the ingrediants for Cooper to deliver[/p][/quote]Stellar season? You really can't be serious. Average would be a fair description. None of our players had a better than average season but as a team they managed to be just a bit better than average. All credit to the manager for that.[/p][/quote]This is what I don't get about a large portion of our fans on here - the total contridiction in their views and arguemtents! . You have been saying all season how poor the squad was built, how many holes there are in it and yet now an 8th placed finish is "only just better than average" . I think we had a pretty good season with a young and inexperienced squad - who played some exceptional football at times - some of the games were the best we have seen for a long time! . Yes we had a sticky patch in the middle - but guess what - that is what young and inexperienced squad do! . We then came through that and produced some stunning performaces including beating Preston, Sheff U and Championship bound Brentford . Also despite a poor sleepy opening were it looked like we were already on holiday - we recovered and more than matched Championship bound Rotherham - a game where Luongo rightfully was award MOTM for an excellent perfomance . Now you may have unrealistic expectations of a player and expect him to be as good as Ronaldo week in week out - but I don't! . I fully understand that Luongo (and others) would be up and down - because they are young and also L1 players- but overall as our 8th place finish, good League Cup Run and Area Final spot in the JPT demonstrated that we were up more than down! , Luongo put in some stunning performances this year and because of that is going to the World Cup and has attracted interest from a higher division . So yes I am serious - you can have your opinion and are entitled to it but As I said it seems you and a few others on here are alone compared to the rest of the footballing world[/p][/quote]So the rest of the footballing world thinks Luongo had an outstanding season. Are you sure LR? You're the only person who's said it. Not many weeks ago there were people on here saying we were stitched up if we paid the reported fee of £400k. Luongo didn't even win the Player of the Year trophy. Nathan Thompson did - and by no stretch of the imagination could his season be described as stellar. Overall Luongo did not have a great season or a poor one. He was somewhere between the two. And of course we were a bit better than average as a team. There are 24 teams in the division. So 8th is a bit above average isn't it? That's not inconsistent with anything I've said. The squad had a number of weaknesses in it - weaknesses that I thought would drag us towards the bottom of the table. I was pleased to be proved wrong. The manager somehow got us to a position that was a bit better than average. I don't see why should find that so disagreeable. You seem to be offended by any comment that does not amount to lavish praise of our players. Oi Den!
  • Score: 0

5:47pm Fri 13 Jun 14

Fernham Red says...

225/1 on Luongo to score in a 1-0 victory tonight. ....don't stop believing.....hold on to that feeling.........
225/1 on Luongo to score in a 1-0 victory tonight. ....don't stop believing.....hold on to that feeling......... Fernham Red
  • Score: 0

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree