LiveMATCHDAY LIVE: Swindon Town v Colchester Utd

First published in Sport
Last updated

Enable automatic updates every minute? YES NO

Summary

  • REPORTING BY SAM MORSHEAD & MIKE BENKE
  • HT: Town 0 Colchester 0
  • Fierce winds and heavy rain in SN1
  • Pitch passes 6.55pm inspection
  • Ranger withdrawn with groin injury in first-half stoppage time
  • Sanchez Watt given straight red for head butting Byrne
  • FT: Town 0 Colchester 0

Comments (56)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

6:20pm Fri 14 Feb 14

Since 1950 says...

Can't make it tonight. Table booked etc etc. If I called that off it'd be a red card and 10 'match' ban!
COYR!
Can't make it tonight. Table booked etc etc. If I called that off it'd be a red card and 10 'match' ban! COYR! Since 1950
  • Score: 6

6:25pm Fri 14 Feb 14

smirg kcab says...

6.30 inspection no chance video shows it flooded
6.30 inspection no chance video shows it flooded smirg kcab
  • Score: -8

6:25pm Fri 14 Feb 14

gibbo1012 says...

Giving it a miss tonight

It's gale force winds and hammering it down in Cheltenham
Giving it a miss tonight It's gale force winds and hammering it down in Cheltenham gibbo1012
  • Score: -5

6:28pm Fri 14 Feb 14

King Doink says...

Dito!!! Try and sneak some updates under the table.
Good luck Miles! Show them how good we know you are!
Dito!!! Try and sneak some updates under the table. Good luck Miles! Show them how good we know you are! King Doink
  • Score: 0

6:41pm Fri 14 Feb 14

andy5364 says...

Another inspection 6.55 .to close to call
Another inspection 6.55 .to close to call andy5364
  • Score: 0

6:43pm Fri 14 Feb 14

Since 1950 says...

smirg kcab wrote:
6.30 inspection no chance video shows it flooded
If it's rained in Swindon like it has here in deepest darkest Gloucestershire then there's a good chance it'll be off.
[quote][p][bold]smirg kcab[/bold] wrote: 6.30 inspection no chance video shows it flooded[/p][/quote]If it's rained in Swindon like it has here in deepest darkest Gloucestershire then there's a good chance it'll be off. Since 1950
  • Score: 0

6:45pm Fri 14 Feb 14

Swindonfan says...

gibbo1012 wrote:
Giving it a miss tonight

It's gale force winds and hammering it down in Cheltenham
is this cheesy ?
[quote][p][bold]gibbo1012[/bold] wrote: Giving it a miss tonight It's gale force winds and hammering it down in Cheltenham[/p][/quote]is this cheesy ? Swindonfan
  • Score: 0

6:48pm Fri 14 Feb 14

The Gladiator says...

I'll be there, if it's on. My wife is very understanding! COYRS!!
I'll be there, if it's on. My wife is very understanding! COYRS!! The Gladiator
  • Score: 0

6:50pm Fri 14 Feb 14

smirg kcab says...

Pitch looks great now ball running fine game on I say
Pitch looks great now ball running fine game on I say smirg kcab
  • Score: 0

6:50pm Fri 14 Feb 14

The Jockster says...

Since 1950 wrote:
Can't make it tonight. Table booked etc etc. If I called that off it'd be a red card and 10 'match' ban! COYR!
Yeah! Yeah! Any excuse! Lol!
[quote][p][bold]Since 1950[/bold] wrote: Can't make it tonight. Table booked etc etc. If I called that off it'd be a red card and 10 'match' ban! COYR![/p][/quote]Yeah! Yeah! Any excuse! Lol! The Jockster
  • Score: 0

6:51pm Fri 14 Feb 14

Scouse Red says...

Not very punctual Sam - still parking the submarine?
Not very punctual Sam - still parking the submarine? Scouse Red
  • Score: 2

6:51pm Fri 14 Feb 14

andy5364 says...

smirg kcab wrote:
6.30 inspection no chance video shows it flooded
50/50 . But one more down pour could swing it .
[quote][p][bold]smirg kcab[/bold] wrote: 6.30 inspection no chance video shows it flooded[/p][/quote]50/50 . But one more down pour could swing it . andy5364
  • Score: 1

6:56pm Fri 14 Feb 14

Since 1950 says...

The Jockster wrote:
Since 1950 wrote:
Can't make it tonight. Table booked etc etc. If I called that off it'd be a red card and 10 'match' ban! COYR!
Yeah! Yeah! Any excuse! Lol!
:-)
[quote][p][bold]The Jockster[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Since 1950[/bold] wrote: Can't make it tonight. Table booked etc etc. If I called that off it'd be a red card and 10 'match' ban! COYR![/p][/quote]Yeah! Yeah! Any excuse! Lol![/p][/quote]:-) Since 1950
  • Score: -1

6:57pm Fri 14 Feb 14

Graham8181 says...

Please be on we sat in pub having pre drinks with my date I roped in for a ten pound ticket ;)
Please be on we sat in pub having pre drinks with my date I roped in for a ten pound ticket ;) Graham8181
  • Score: 0

7:16pm Fri 14 Feb 14

port de soller says...

Crazy how can football be played in those conditions ????????
Still the Red says it goes on however you get feeling it could get abandond.
Crazy how can football be played in those conditions ???????? Still the Red says it goes on however you get feeling it could get abandond. port de soller
  • Score: -5

7:19pm Fri 14 Feb 14

RamsburyRed says...

There is no chance of playing this game. If they do, it'll be a lottery.
There is no chance of playing this game. If they do, it'll be a lottery. RamsburyRed
  • Score: -6

7:22pm Fri 14 Feb 14

umpcah says...

It`s blow football tonight !
It`s blow football tonight ! umpcah
  • Score: 2

7:39pm Fri 14 Feb 14

Gozza57 says...

Was listening to the debate on Talk sport about playing weakened teams in cup competitions. People seem to think it is new, I remember the League Cup game against Liverpool in 1970, I was all excited about seeing the great Tommy Lawrence and Ron yeats etc. I was gutted when Shankley played a lot of his kids against us. 2 of them were certain Mr's Clemence and Heighway!! oh and a 23 year old Emelyn Hughes!! In fact we were treated to seeing the future generation of legends!! Even better that the Don scored 2 in 2 minutes for a 2 nil win in front of 24 000!!
Was listening to the debate on Talk sport about playing weakened teams in cup competitions. People seem to think it is new, I remember the League Cup game against Liverpool in 1970, I was all excited about seeing the great Tommy Lawrence and Ron yeats etc. I was gutted when Shankley played a lot of his kids against us. 2 of them were certain Mr's Clemence and Heighway!! oh and a 23 year old Emelyn Hughes!! In fact we were treated to seeing the future generation of legends!! Even better that the Don scored 2 in 2 minutes for a 2 nil win in front of 24 000!! Gozza57
  • Score: 2

7:43pm Fri 14 Feb 14

tifosi says...

port de soller wrote:
Crazy how can football be played in those conditions ????????
Still the Red says it goes on however you get feeling it could get abandond.
Agreed. It's a major storm with driving rain. It isn't just the pitch but the safety of people getting there. Lorries are being turned over. My house is surrounded by water. Just ridiculous.
[quote][p][bold]port de soller[/bold] wrote: Crazy how can football be played in those conditions ???????? Still the Red says it goes on however you get feeling it could get abandond.[/p][/quote]Agreed. It's a major storm with driving rain. It isn't just the pitch but the safety of people getting there. Lorries are being turned over. My house is surrounded by water. Just ridiculous. tifosi
  • Score: 2

7:54pm Fri 14 Feb 14

Since 1950 says...

tifosi wrote:
port de soller wrote:
Crazy how can football be played in those conditions ????????
Still the Red says it goes on however you get feeling it could get abandond.
Agreed. It's a major storm with driving rain. It isn't just the pitch but the safety of people getting there. Lorries are being turned over. My house is surrounded by water. Just ridiculous.
How can this game be on when the game at new year was off?
[quote][p][bold]tifosi[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]port de soller[/bold] wrote: Crazy how can football be played in those conditions ???????? Still the Red says it goes on however you get feeling it could get abandond.[/p][/quote]Agreed. It's a major storm with driving rain. It isn't just the pitch but the safety of people getting there. Lorries are being turned over. My house is surrounded by water. Just ridiculous.[/p][/quote]How can this game be on when the game at new year was off? Since 1950
  • Score: 1

8:09pm Fri 14 Feb 14

Since 1950 says...

Perfick St Valentines day. Missed the football and the match isn't the only thing that's on!
Perfick St Valentines day. Missed the football and the match isn't the only thing that's on! Since 1950
  • Score: 5

8:19pm Fri 14 Feb 14

oddbob says...

Hope we don't get beaten by the wind blowing the ball in the goal or something stupid.
Hope we don't get beaten by the wind blowing the ball in the goal or something stupid. oddbob
  • Score: 0

8:23pm Fri 14 Feb 14

gaz2612 says...

Disappointed that the fixture was changed from Saturday to Friday, Valentines night. Not much thought went into this. I wish I could have a break after a hard days work instead of going back the next day.
Got out of Valentines night , but as I have to travel over an hour, decided to give it a miss due to weather. First home match missed this season. Hope they win tonight, and if playing with the wind, please have at least one long distance shot! Good luck to Miles Storey who deserved more of a chance here.
Disappointed that the fixture was changed from Saturday to Friday, Valentines night. Not much thought went into this. I wish I could have a break after a hard days work instead of going back the next day. Got out of Valentines night , but as I have to travel over an hour, decided to give it a miss due to weather. First home match missed this season. Hope they win tonight, and if playing with the wind, please have at least one long distance shot! Good luck to Miles Storey who deserved more of a chance here. gaz2612
  • Score: 7

8:36pm Fri 14 Feb 14

Psychedelic Syd says...

Hope Ranger will be OK
Hope Ranger will be OK Psychedelic Syd
  • Score: 5

8:48pm Fri 14 Feb 14

smirg kcab says...

Rain lashing in the wind, linesman worse than the conditions , smith having a mate, must step up without Nile.
Rain lashing in the wind, linesman worse than the conditions , smith having a mate, must step up without Nile. smirg kcab
  • Score: 4

9:23pm Fri 14 Feb 14

joey butler says...

Can we beat a poor team with only 10 players, answers to Sam on the back of a postage stamp please!!
Can we beat a poor team with only 10 players, answers to Sam on the back of a postage stamp please!! joey butler
  • Score: -14

9:42pm Fri 14 Feb 14

Robinonfire says...

Another great result.....should have had Storey on the bench Cooperman.
Another great result.....should have had Storey on the bench Cooperman. Robinonfire
  • Score: -16

9:54pm Fri 14 Feb 14

the don69 says...

Couldn't make it tonight,should have been called off as I said before kick-off,it's a farce in conditions like that and just causes injuries,don't know why they even wanted the game on? should have just left the pitch to flood simple!!!!!!!!!!!
Couldn't make it tonight,should have been called off as I said before kick-off,it's a farce in conditions like that and just causes injuries,don't know why they even wanted the game on? should have just left the pitch to flood simple!!!!!!!!!!! the don69
  • Score: 4

10:02pm Fri 14 Feb 14

Scouse Red says...

well the conditions were poor but first half i thought we looked ok. Second half we were poor, is that a coincidence as the Lone Ranger went off injured i wonder? Thought Murphy looked useful coming on but appeared to be afraid to have a go, although to be honest a few times we got the ball in and around the 'D' and should have had a crack, especially with the wind behind us in the second half, only to square it and let their men get back behind the ball.

Oh and how their goalie wasn't booked for blatant time wasting throughout the whole game was beyond me.

I'm now going to try and thaw out and dry off

Need a plan for Monday if the conditions are the same please Cooperman
well the conditions were poor but first half i thought we looked ok. Second half we were poor, is that a coincidence as the Lone Ranger went off injured i wonder? Thought Murphy looked useful coming on but appeared to be afraid to have a go, although to be honest a few times we got the ball in and around the 'D' and should have had a crack, especially with the wind behind us in the second half, only to square it and let their men get back behind the ball. Oh and how their goalie wasn't booked for blatant time wasting throughout the whole game was beyond me. I'm now going to try and thaw out and dry off Need a plan for Monday if the conditions are the same please Cooperman Scouse Red
  • Score: 2

10:29pm Fri 14 Feb 14

stfc4ever!! says...

At least we have a clean sheet!!
At least we have a clean sheet!! stfc4ever!!
  • Score: 3

10:31pm Fri 14 Feb 14

wiki27 says...

Just back from the game. Whilst Colchester were not a great side, I thought they did a 'professional' job on us, from time wasting to blatant fouls and little nicks here and there. Both sides did ok considering the weather. Nevertheless, I thought our continuing single-dimension play of trying to thread a wonder ball through 20 players in the box ending up with a tap in all too obvious and predictable. When we did get it to the wings – an all too few times – we managed some telling crosses which zipped across their 6 yard box but with no end product. Still, I feel it was 2 points dropped as opposed to 1 gained. Colchester will be happy with their point, no doubt.
Just back from the game. Whilst Colchester were not a great side, I thought they did a 'professional' job on us, from time wasting to blatant fouls and little nicks here and there. Both sides did ok considering the weather. Nevertheless, I thought our continuing single-dimension play of trying to thread a wonder ball through 20 players in the box ending up with a tap in all too obvious and predictable. When we did get it to the wings – an all too few times – we managed some telling crosses which zipped across their 6 yard box but with no end product. Still, I feel it was 2 points dropped as opposed to 1 gained. Colchester will be happy with their point, no doubt. wiki27
  • Score: 1

10:34pm Fri 14 Feb 14

mancrobin says...

Well done to all those hardy fans who risked the weather and potential relationship issues by turning up tonight for a goalless draw.

The positives for me:
1. Thinking also about Port Vale, this side being able to get points in very poor weather conditions. They're hardier than we gave them credit for.
2. The lovely lemon sole I had with the missus plus a few glasses of bubbly.

Just goes to prove that on a few occasions you can be drier and warmer in Manchester.

COYR'sss
Well done to all those hardy fans who risked the weather and potential relationship issues by turning up tonight for a goalless draw. The positives for me: 1. Thinking also about Port Vale, this side being able to get points in very poor weather conditions. They're hardier than we gave them credit for. 2. The lovely lemon sole I had with the missus plus a few glasses of bubbly. Just goes to prove that on a few occasions you can be drier and warmer in Manchester. COYR'sss mancrobin
  • Score: 3

11:17pm Fri 14 Feb 14

smirg kcab says...

Pritchard motm lol? The prawn sandwich brigade chose it again.
Awfull in every department, smith looked a none league player, and we got rid of storey for him, yet cooper moans at dany? Sorry don't get that, playing 4 wingers who can't cross a ball, the mind boggles
The only positive is that ward looks more comfortable with troy who was my motm.
1 shot on target ? Dire Shiit cooper
Just read your post match looks like you've lost the plot
Pritchard motm lol? The prawn sandwich brigade chose it again. Awfull in every department, smith looked a none league player, and we got rid of storey for him, yet cooper moans at dany? Sorry don't get that, playing 4 wingers who can't cross a ball, the mind boggles The only positive is that ward looks more comfortable with troy who was my motm. 1 shot on target ? Dire Shiit cooper Just read your post match looks like you've lost the plot smirg kcab
  • Score: -8

11:23pm Fri 14 Feb 14

wiki27 says...

Agree Smirg kcab...Pritchard (IMHO) is overrated and was dire tonight. He obviously has much talent but very often makes the wrong choice - whether that's his positional play or in particular, his passing. He always needs 2 touches and whilst looks a busy player, should be a lot more effective given his pedigree and home stable. Troy was my MoM with some great block tackles and good ball distribution (Flint, please note...).
Agree Smirg kcab...Pritchard (IMHO) is overrated and was dire tonight. He obviously has much talent but very often makes the wrong choice - whether that's his positional play or in particular, his passing. He always needs 2 touches and whilst looks a busy player, should be a lot more effective given his pedigree and home stable. Troy was my MoM with some great block tackles and good ball distribution (Flint, please note...). wiki27
  • Score: 2

11:27pm Fri 14 Feb 14

joey butler says...

10:35pm

Talking about Monday's game, Cooper says the team will have to change tactics in light of injuries and suspensions.

"The players will be in tomorrow and Sunday so we will work on how we are going to play with out any players. We might have to go 4-6-0 which I'm sure everyone will be pleased about.

"Dany’s going to have to step up to the plate and take the bull by the horns.

"We are massive underdogs now."

Very alarming comments above from Mark Cooper. Not to worry, the entire Norwich management team are about to get fired and we can hire Colin Calderwood instead.

Calderwood would not be able to spell 'underdog', he simply does not know the meaning of the word!!

Our youngest ever Captain, I think, who won four promotions with Swindon, excellent Tottenham pedigree, Scottish International, promotion successes as a Manager, still lives in Northampton,......Ov
er to you Mr Power......
10:35pm Talking about Monday's game, Cooper says the team will have to change tactics in light of injuries and suspensions. "The players will be in tomorrow and Sunday so we will work on how we are going to play with out any players. We might have to go 4-6-0 which I'm sure everyone will be pleased about. "Dany’s going to have to step up to the plate and take the bull by the horns. "We are massive underdogs now." Very alarming comments above from Mark Cooper. Not to worry, the entire Norwich management team are about to get fired and we can hire Colin Calderwood instead. Calderwood would not be able to spell 'underdog', he simply does not know the meaning of the word!! Our youngest ever Captain, I think, who won four promotions with Swindon, excellent Tottenham pedigree, Scottish International, promotion successes as a Manager, still lives in Northampton,......Ov er to you Mr Power...... joey butler
  • Score: -12

11:36pm Fri 14 Feb 14

Steve. Brentford says...

Well the positives far out way the negatives in my eyes, a clean sheet another game gone without defeat and a mini unbeaten run continues, that to me says we will not have to suffer the threat of relagation which i and many others thought could happen this season, we must except that we cant steam roller this league with the resources we have and that we have a squad that is young and inexperienced. Chins up lads it could be much worse.
Right my little lady needs me for something MMMM night all...

Wakey wakey my love i`m ready.
Well the positives far out way the negatives in my eyes, a clean sheet another game gone without defeat and a mini unbeaten run continues, that to me says we will not have to suffer the threat of relagation which i and many others thought could happen this season, we must except that we cant steam roller this league with the resources we have and that we have a squad that is young and inexperienced. Chins up lads it could be much worse. Right my little lady needs me for something MMMM night all... Wakey wakey my love i`m ready. Steve. Brentford
  • Score: 4

11:49pm Fri 14 Feb 14

joey butler says...

Steve. Brentford wrote:
Well the positives far out way the negatives in my eyes, a clean sheet another game gone without defeat and a mini unbeaten run continues, that to me says we will not have to suffer the threat of relagation which i and many others thought could happen this season, we must except that we cant steam roller this league with the resources we have and that we have a squad that is young and inexperienced. Chins up lads it could be much worse.
Right my little lady needs me for something MMMM night all...

Wakey wakey my love i`m ready.
Where has all the romance gone in Brentford please Steve?

At very least, you could climb on top of the wardrobe with the loud mating call of a Brentford pigeon!!
[quote][p][bold]Steve. Brentford[/bold] wrote: Well the positives far out way the negatives in my eyes, a clean sheet another game gone without defeat and a mini unbeaten run continues, that to me says we will not have to suffer the threat of relagation which i and many others thought could happen this season, we must except that we cant steam roller this league with the resources we have and that we have a squad that is young and inexperienced. Chins up lads it could be much worse. Right my little lady needs me for something MMMM night all... Wakey wakey my love i`m ready.[/p][/quote]Where has all the romance gone in Brentford please Steve? At very least, you could climb on top of the wardrobe with the loud mating call of a Brentford pigeon!! joey butler
  • Score: -1

11:59pm Fri 14 Feb 14

Oxon-Red says...

Given the conditions I thought it was a reasonable performance and a much better game than I expected. Trying to stay on your feet, stop and turn made control that much harder. No point lumping it and high balls into the box are very much a lottery in that sort of wind. Several excellent moves and crosses first half which possibly weren't attacked as much as they should have been.
They parked the bus second half, congested the final third and made it very difficult. My only criticism was we didn't shoot on sight second half. With the wind behind us and a skiddy surface is was crying out for shots. Could have only take one or one followed up for the break through.
Hoping for a still night on Monday as it will be nice to play in better conditions for a change even if the pitch may be on the heavy side.

COYMR
Given the conditions I thought it was a reasonable performance and a much better game than I expected. Trying to stay on your feet, stop and turn made control that much harder. No point lumping it and high balls into the box are very much a lottery in that sort of wind. Several excellent moves and crosses first half which possibly weren't attacked as much as they should have been. They parked the bus second half, congested the final third and made it very difficult. My only criticism was we didn't shoot on sight second half. With the wind behind us and a skiddy surface is was crying out for shots. Could have only take one or one followed up for the break through. Hoping for a still night on Monday as it will be nice to play in better conditions for a change even if the pitch may be on the heavy side. COYMR Oxon-Red
  • Score: 5

12:07am Sat 15 Feb 14

The Jockster says...

mancrobin wrote:
Well done to all those hardy fans who risked the weather and potential relationship issues by turning up tonight for a goalless draw.

The positives for me:
1. Thinking also about Port Vale, this side being able to get points in very poor weather conditions. They're hardier than we gave them credit for.
2. The lovely lemon sole I had with the missus plus a few glasses of bubbly.

Just goes to prove that on a few occasions you can be drier and warmer in Manchester.

COYR'sss
A very few occasions though eh Manc! And it's all heading your way! Amazed the game was on driving in I couldn't see a yard in front of my nose! To be fair the jpitch held up really well even with the driving rain and was never in any danger of becoming waterlogged. Difficult but same for both teams and a draw probably fair result. If we had any failings tonight it was in the final third and the final ball in woeful at times. How Pritchard got MOM from the prawn sandwich brigade I'll never know - too many lagers I reckon - for me tonight he often tried to over cook it and beat three men when a pass or Kay off was the better option. The stand out for me tonight -if there was one was Troy Tempest whose defending and distribution was noticeable and my MOM by a country mile.
Don't often comment on officials but the Lino on the DR side had a mate with three bad decisions 1) he gave a throw to them 1st half when it was clearly ours and ref had given to us changing his mind when the Lino flagged it to them 2) flagged for corner for us when it was clearly goal kick to them & 3rd and worst- was instrumental in getting NT booked after the sending off when all the time he was backing away from their no. 7 who clearly deservedly got a red card- no wonder Cooper called it an outrageous decision, it was! The refs explanation " he was acting in an aggressive manner" was frankly laughable in the circumstances and the card was waved on the Lino's say so.
[quote][p][bold]mancrobin[/bold] wrote: Well done to all those hardy fans who risked the weather and potential relationship issues by turning up tonight for a goalless draw. The positives for me: 1. Thinking also about Port Vale, this side being able to get points in very poor weather conditions. They're hardier than we gave them credit for. 2. The lovely lemon sole I had with the missus plus a few glasses of bubbly. Just goes to prove that on a few occasions you can be drier and warmer in Manchester. COYR'sss[/p][/quote]A very few occasions though eh Manc! And it's all heading your way! Amazed the game was on driving in I couldn't see a yard in front of my nose! To be fair the jpitch held up really well even with the driving rain and was never in any danger of becoming waterlogged. Difficult but same for both teams and a draw probably fair result. If we had any failings tonight it was in the final third and the final ball in woeful at times. How Pritchard got MOM from the prawn sandwich brigade I'll never know - too many lagers I reckon - for me tonight he often tried to over cook it and beat three men when a pass or Kay off was the better option. The stand out for me tonight -if there was one was Troy Tempest whose defending and distribution was noticeable and my MOM by a country mile. Don't often comment on officials but the Lino on the DR side had a mate with three bad decisions 1) he gave a throw to them 1st half when it was clearly ours and ref had given to us changing his mind when the Lino flagged it to them 2) flagged for corner for us when it was clearly goal kick to them & 3rd and worst- was instrumental in getting NT booked after the sending off when all the time he was backing away from their no. 7 who clearly deservedly got a red card- no wonder Cooper called it an outrageous decision, it was! The refs explanation " he was acting in an aggressive manner" was frankly laughable in the circumstances and the card was waved on the Lino's say so. The Jockster
  • Score: 0

12:10am Sat 15 Feb 14

The Jockster says...

Oops typos - lay off not kay off & mare not mate lol!
Oops typos - lay off not kay off & mare not mate lol! The Jockster
  • Score: -2

12:23am Sat 15 Feb 14

old town robin says...

Psychedelic Syd wrote:
Hope Ranger will be OK
he didn't look too good hopping along after the match outside the Legends. Also hope he will be fit for Monday, but have my doubts he will be fit in time.
[quote][p][bold]Psychedelic Syd[/bold] wrote: Hope Ranger will be OK[/p][/quote]he didn't look too good hopping along after the match outside the Legends. Also hope he will be fit for Monday, but have my doubts he will be fit in time. old town robin
  • Score: 0

12:32am Sat 15 Feb 14

old town robin says...

Robinonfire wrote:
Another great result.....should have had Storey on the bench Cooperman.
Don't know why you got so many thumbs down, maybe they were not there to see why your comment makes sense. You are absolutely right, bench was crying out for someone up front and what changes Cooper did make was far too late to change things against 10 men.
[quote][p][bold]Robinonfire[/bold] wrote: Another great result.....should have had Storey on the bench Cooperman.[/p][/quote]Don't know why you got so many thumbs down, maybe they were not there to see why your comment makes sense. You are absolutely right, bench was crying out for someone up front and what changes Cooper did make was far too late to change things against 10 men. old town robin
  • Score: -1

12:38am Sat 15 Feb 14

mancrobin says...

The Jockster wrote:
mancrobin wrote:
Well done to all those hardy fans who risked the weather and potential relationship issues by turning up tonight for a goalless draw.

The positives for me:
1. Thinking also about Port Vale, this side being able to get points in very poor weather conditions. They're hardier than we gave them credit for.
2. The lovely lemon sole I had with the missus plus a few glasses of bubbly.

Just goes to prove that on a few occasions you can be drier and warmer in Manchester.

COYR'sss
A very few occasions though eh Manc! And it's all heading your way! Amazed the game was on driving in I couldn't see a yard in front of my nose! To be fair the jpitch held up really well even with the driving rain and was never in any danger of becoming waterlogged. Difficult but same for both teams and a draw probably fair result. If we had any failings tonight it was in the final third and the final ball in woeful at times. How Pritchard got MOM from the prawn sandwich brigade I'll never know - too many lagers I reckon - for me tonight he often tried to over cook it and beat three men when a pass or Kay off was the better option. The stand out for me tonight -if there was one was Troy Tempest whose defending and distribution was noticeable and my MOM by a country mile.
Don't often comment on officials but the Lino on the DR side had a mate with three bad decisions 1) he gave a throw to them 1st half when it was clearly ours and ref had given to us changing his mind when the Lino flagged it to them 2) flagged for corner for us when it was clearly goal kick to them & 3rd and worst- was instrumental in getting NT booked after the sending off when all the time he was backing away from their no. 7 who clearly deservedly got a red card- no wonder Cooper called it an outrageous decision, it was! The refs explanation " he was acting in an aggressive manner" was frankly laughable in the circumstances and the card was waved on the Lino's say so.
Sounds like TAH was MOM for most people Jock. I thought he looked a bit off the pace at PV but clearly a really good reader of the game and excellent in the air. Perhaps with increasing games under his belt he will emerge as the dominant centre half?

Not bothered about the weather coming North, I'm off to New York tomorrow. Think I'll pack me thermals!!
[quote][p][bold]The Jockster[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]mancrobin[/bold] wrote: Well done to all those hardy fans who risked the weather and potential relationship issues by turning up tonight for a goalless draw. The positives for me: 1. Thinking also about Port Vale, this side being able to get points in very poor weather conditions. They're hardier than we gave them credit for. 2. The lovely lemon sole I had with the missus plus a few glasses of bubbly. Just goes to prove that on a few occasions you can be drier and warmer in Manchester. COYR'sss[/p][/quote]A very few occasions though eh Manc! And it's all heading your way! Amazed the game was on driving in I couldn't see a yard in front of my nose! To be fair the jpitch held up really well even with the driving rain and was never in any danger of becoming waterlogged. Difficult but same for both teams and a draw probably fair result. If we had any failings tonight it was in the final third and the final ball in woeful at times. How Pritchard got MOM from the prawn sandwich brigade I'll never know - too many lagers I reckon - for me tonight he often tried to over cook it and beat three men when a pass or Kay off was the better option. The stand out for me tonight -if there was one was Troy Tempest whose defending and distribution was noticeable and my MOM by a country mile. Don't often comment on officials but the Lino on the DR side had a mate with three bad decisions 1) he gave a throw to them 1st half when it was clearly ours and ref had given to us changing his mind when the Lino flagged it to them 2) flagged for corner for us when it was clearly goal kick to them & 3rd and worst- was instrumental in getting NT booked after the sending off when all the time he was backing away from their no. 7 who clearly deservedly got a red card- no wonder Cooper called it an outrageous decision, it was! The refs explanation " he was acting in an aggressive manner" was frankly laughable in the circumstances and the card was waved on the Lino's say so.[/p][/quote]Sounds like TAH was MOM for most people Jock. I thought he looked a bit off the pace at PV but clearly a really good reader of the game and excellent in the air. Perhaps with increasing games under his belt he will emerge as the dominant centre half? Not bothered about the weather coming North, I'm off to New York tomorrow. Think I'll pack me thermals!! mancrobin
  • Score: 0

12:42am Sat 15 Feb 14

Graham8181 says...

Smith looked good up front, Troy looked good and the new man on loan from Norwich. In fact most had decent game. Pritchard MOM really? He was possibly worst player on pitch for us. Felt like they just had a wall up we couldn't get through and we ran out of ideas or lacked anything creative to break them down. Utter dominance though from start to finish. Players look more up for now and winning all the important tackles that need to be won across the park. Annoying didn't win
Smith looked good up front, Troy looked good and the new man on loan from Norwich. In fact most had decent game. Pritchard MOM really? He was possibly worst player on pitch for us. Felt like they just had a wall up we couldn't get through and we ran out of ideas or lacked anything creative to break them down. Utter dominance though from start to finish. Players look more up for now and winning all the important tackles that need to be won across the park. Annoying didn't win Graham8181
  • Score: 3

1:11am Sat 15 Feb 14

old town robin says...

smirg kcab wrote:
Pritchard motm lol? The prawn sandwich brigade chose it again.
Awfull in every department, smith looked a none league player, and we got rid of storey for him, yet cooper moans at dany? Sorry don't get that, playing 4 wingers who can't cross a ball, the mind boggles
The only positive is that ward looks more comfortable with troy who was my motm.
1 shot on target ? Dire Shiit cooper
Just read your post match looks like you've lost the plot
Best post of the night, again amazing you have got thumbs down, were they actually there? Agree Troy had a good game, but my MoM would have been Louie Thompson, his winning of the ball and distribution was A1, Thought that Pritch put in a lot of effort, but second best to Louis. I agree with you Smith looked conference level and if it hadn't been for the injury to Nile would surely have been hauled off, his lack of any touch in the 6 box area cost us any chance of a goal, not impressed, but with nobody on the bench to replace him capable of finishing, questions have to be asked exactly what did Cooper have in mind to change the game with no selection of an impact player that could play up front.

Considering the conditions, both teams tried to play football in the first half and from a Town perspective apart from Smith everyone did reasonably well. Second half we were clueless against 10 men. Cooper once again made his changes too late as it was plain to see Dany was knackered after putting in a good shift, neither Reis or Murphy were able to make an impact when they came on, as you said 4 wingers and none of them could make a decent cross.

For me 2 points lost as Colchester had nothing to offer going forward, must be the easiest game Wes has had all season. Pitch looked well cut up by full time, Cassidy and team have to be congratulated for an outstanding effort to get the game on, with some better weather forecast over the weekend, I'm sure the lads will be able to get the pitch sorted before Mondays game.

Big thanks to all concerned, players and ground staff to making this game go ahead, it was tough, just a shame about the result.
[quote][p][bold]smirg kcab[/bold] wrote: Pritchard motm lol? The prawn sandwich brigade chose it again. Awfull in every department, smith looked a none league player, and we got rid of storey for him, yet cooper moans at dany? Sorry don't get that, playing 4 wingers who can't cross a ball, the mind boggles The only positive is that ward looks more comfortable with troy who was my motm. 1 shot on target ? Dire Shiit cooper Just read your post match looks like you've lost the plot[/p][/quote]Best post of the night, again amazing you have got thumbs down, were they actually there? Agree Troy had a good game, but my MoM would have been Louie Thompson, his winning of the ball and distribution was A1, Thought that Pritch put in a lot of effort, but second best to Louis. I agree with you Smith looked conference level and if it hadn't been for the injury to Nile would surely have been hauled off, his lack of any touch in the 6 box area cost us any chance of a goal, not impressed, but with nobody on the bench to replace him capable of finishing, questions have to be asked exactly what did Cooper have in mind to change the game with no selection of an impact player that could play up front. Considering the conditions, both teams tried to play football in the first half and from a Town perspective apart from Smith everyone did reasonably well. Second half we were clueless against 10 men. Cooper once again made his changes too late as it was plain to see Dany was knackered after putting in a good shift, neither Reis or Murphy were able to make an impact when they came on, as you said 4 wingers and none of them could make a decent cross. For me 2 points lost as Colchester had nothing to offer going forward, must be the easiest game Wes has had all season. Pitch looked well cut up by full time, Cassidy and team have to be congratulated for an outstanding effort to get the game on, with some better weather forecast over the weekend, I'm sure the lads will be able to get the pitch sorted before Mondays game. Big thanks to all concerned, players and ground staff to making this game go ahead, it was tough, just a shame about the result. old town robin
  • Score: -2

1:17am Sat 15 Feb 14

Oi Den! says...

No complaints from me about the performance or result. I have no idea whether Thompson's booking was justified or not but he's not being suspended for one yellow card. Ask him about the other 9, Mark! Reminds me of the old Dean Martin quote "It only takes one drink to get me drunk. I just can't remember whether it's the 17th or 18th."
No complaints from me about the performance or result. I have no idea whether Thompson's booking was justified or not but he's not being suspended for one yellow card. Ask him about the other 9, Mark! Reminds me of the old Dean Martin quote "It only takes one drink to get me drunk. I just can't remember whether it's the 17th or 18th." Oi Den!
  • Score: 6

1:17am Sat 15 Feb 14

old town robin says...

Scouse Red wrote:
well the conditions were poor but first half i thought we looked ok. Second half we were poor, is that a coincidence as the Lone Ranger went off injured i wonder? Thought Murphy looked useful coming on but appeared to be afraid to have a go, although to be honest a few times we got the ball in and around the 'D' and should have had a crack, especially with the wind behind us in the second half, only to square it and let their men get back behind the ball.

Oh and how their goalie wasn't booked for blatant time wasting throughout the whole game was beyond me.

I'm now going to try and thaw out and dry off

Need a plan for Monday if the conditions are the same please Cooperman
good post, summed it up well.
[quote][p][bold]Scouse Red[/bold] wrote: well the conditions were poor but first half i thought we looked ok. Second half we were poor, is that a coincidence as the Lone Ranger went off injured i wonder? Thought Murphy looked useful coming on but appeared to be afraid to have a go, although to be honest a few times we got the ball in and around the 'D' and should have had a crack, especially with the wind behind us in the second half, only to square it and let their men get back behind the ball. Oh and how their goalie wasn't booked for blatant time wasting throughout the whole game was beyond me. I'm now going to try and thaw out and dry off Need a plan for Monday if the conditions are the same please Cooperman[/p][/quote]good post, summed it up well. old town robin
  • Score: 1

1:43am Sat 15 Feb 14

Oxon-Red says...

old town robin wrote:
smirg kcab wrote:
Pritchard motm lol? The prawn sandwich brigade chose it again.
Awfull in every department, smith looked a none league player, and we got rid of storey for him, yet cooper moans at dany? Sorry don't get that, playing 4 wingers who can't cross a ball, the mind boggles
The only positive is that ward looks more comfortable with troy who was my motm.
1 shot on target ? Dire Shiit cooper
Just read your post match looks like you've lost the plot
Best post of the night, again amazing you have got thumbs down, were they actually there? Agree Troy had a good game, but my MoM would have been Louie Thompson, his winning of the ball and distribution was A1, Thought that Pritch put in a lot of effort, but second best to Louis. I agree with you Smith looked conference level and if it hadn't been for the injury to Nile would surely have been hauled off, his lack of any touch in the 6 box area cost us any chance of a goal, not impressed, but with nobody on the bench to replace him capable of finishing, questions have to be asked exactly what did Cooper have in mind to change the game with no selection of an impact player that could play up front.

Considering the conditions, both teams tried to play football in the first half and from a Town perspective apart from Smith everyone did reasonably well. Second half we were clueless against 10 men. Cooper once again made his changes too late as it was plain to see Dany was knackered after putting in a good shift, neither Reis or Murphy were able to make an impact when they came on, as you said 4 wingers and none of them could make a decent cross.

For me 2 points lost as Colchester had nothing to offer going forward, must be the easiest game Wes has had all season. Pitch looked well cut up by full time, Cassidy and team have to be congratulated for an outstanding effort to get the game on, with some better weather forecast over the weekend, I'm sure the lads will be able to get the pitch sorted before Mondays game.

Big thanks to all concerned, players and ground staff to making this game go ahead, it was tough, just a shame about the result.
Good call on Louis. Also thought Reis did okay in his cameo.

Thought on the way home that we missed Kasim tonight. His vision is excellent and he may have been the player to find the kind of ball we needed tonight.

Disappointed we didn't win as we played the conditions far better but happy because we kept a clean sheet and kept it very comfortably. Do feel that there have been a few negative posts that have not really taken the conditions into account.

Would Miles have made a difference ? Not Sure, would pace have made a difference when judging where a ball will go is so hard.

Did Mark make the right substitutions and get his tactics right ? IMO yes we played the conditions well but the final killer ball was not quite there When Ranger went off it made sense to me to move Dany central and replace him with Murphy. Other substitutes for Dany were limited and giving Reis game time seemed a decent enough decision.

COYMR
[quote][p][bold]old town robin[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]smirg kcab[/bold] wrote: Pritchard motm lol? The prawn sandwich brigade chose it again. Awfull in every department, smith looked a none league player, and we got rid of storey for him, yet cooper moans at dany? Sorry don't get that, playing 4 wingers who can't cross a ball, the mind boggles The only positive is that ward looks more comfortable with troy who was my motm. 1 shot on target ? Dire Shiit cooper Just read your post match looks like you've lost the plot[/p][/quote]Best post of the night, again amazing you have got thumbs down, were they actually there? Agree Troy had a good game, but my MoM would have been Louie Thompson, his winning of the ball and distribution was A1, Thought that Pritch put in a lot of effort, but second best to Louis. I agree with you Smith looked conference level and if it hadn't been for the injury to Nile would surely have been hauled off, his lack of any touch in the 6 box area cost us any chance of a goal, not impressed, but with nobody on the bench to replace him capable of finishing, questions have to be asked exactly what did Cooper have in mind to change the game with no selection of an impact player that could play up front. Considering the conditions, both teams tried to play football in the first half and from a Town perspective apart from Smith everyone did reasonably well. Second half we were clueless against 10 men. Cooper once again made his changes too late as it was plain to see Dany was knackered after putting in a good shift, neither Reis or Murphy were able to make an impact when they came on, as you said 4 wingers and none of them could make a decent cross. For me 2 points lost as Colchester had nothing to offer going forward, must be the easiest game Wes has had all season. Pitch looked well cut up by full time, Cassidy and team have to be congratulated for an outstanding effort to get the game on, with some better weather forecast over the weekend, I'm sure the lads will be able to get the pitch sorted before Mondays game. Big thanks to all concerned, players and ground staff to making this game go ahead, it was tough, just a shame about the result.[/p][/quote]Good call on Louis. Also thought Reis did okay in his cameo. Thought on the way home that we missed Kasim tonight. His vision is excellent and he may have been the player to find the kind of ball we needed tonight. Disappointed we didn't win as we played the conditions far better but happy because we kept a clean sheet and kept it very comfortably. Do feel that there have been a few negative posts that have not really taken the conditions into account. Would Miles have made a difference ? Not Sure, would pace have made a difference when judging where a ball will go is so hard. Did Mark make the right substitutions and get his tactics right ? IMO yes we played the conditions well but the final killer ball was not quite there When Ranger went off it made sense to me to move Dany central and replace him with Murphy. Other substitutes for Dany were limited and giving Reis game time seemed a decent enough decision. COYMR Oxon-Red
  • Score: 2

2:15am Sat 15 Feb 14

Wilesy says...

Thought we did well enough just couldn't get the ball in the goal. Every trick in the book from Colchester to waste time, the ref should have brought the yellow out for the keeper when he put the ball down then kept delaying waiting for the wind to move it then resetting it. The ball can barely have been in play for 45 of the 90 mins.

Cooper moaning after the game he has no strikers for Monday well why is Storey at Shrewsbury then?? Not saying he was the answer tonight as they were camped in their own half but would be handy on Monday as I expect Posh will be more adventurous and there will be spaces to exploit..

Shame Ranger prob out for a while, and Nathan too although like Den says what about the other 9. Cooper up in arms about tonights booking I'm not sure I thought he was at risk of a booking when face to face with the idiot Watt after grabbing the ball and there was a bit of jostling before the headbutt.

Troy immense again, and Louis Thompson and Mass growing in stature game by game. Mass starting to put in some lost cause chasing a la Ferry, and it's rare for Louis to close down an opponent without getting the ball off him or forcing a mistake. Quiet night for Smith and Danny up top, Although Smith did well with back to goal in trapping ball and laying it off
Thought we did well enough just couldn't get the ball in the goal. Every trick in the book from Colchester to waste time, the ref should have brought the yellow out for the keeper when he put the ball down then kept delaying waiting for the wind to move it then resetting it. The ball can barely have been in play for 45 of the 90 mins. Cooper moaning after the game he has no strikers for Monday well why is Storey at Shrewsbury then?? Not saying he was the answer tonight as they were camped in their own half but would be handy on Monday as I expect Posh will be more adventurous and there will be spaces to exploit.. Shame Ranger prob out for a while, and Nathan too although like Den says what about the other 9. Cooper up in arms about tonights booking I'm not sure I thought he was at risk of a booking when face to face with the idiot Watt after grabbing the ball and there was a bit of jostling before the headbutt. Troy immense again, and Louis Thompson and Mass growing in stature game by game. Mass starting to put in some lost cause chasing a la Ferry, and it's rare for Louis to close down an opponent without getting the ball off him or forcing a mistake. Quiet night for Smith and Danny up top, Although Smith did well with back to goal in trapping ball and laying it off Wilesy
  • Score: 2

6:46am Sat 15 Feb 14

jayden says...

Well I thought it was a good performance considering the weather. Firstly well done to the ground staff as the pitch held up well. Secondly how good was Wes's kicking against the wind. I thought bar two players ,most were on there game. L. Thompson was my M.O.M with Troy. Roll on the summer. One fan next to me "For Christ sake stop trying to walk it in to the net" Then Prichard has a shot from distance " For Christ sake stop shooting you greedy B.......".
Well I thought it was a good performance considering the weather. Firstly well done to the ground staff as the pitch held up well. Secondly how good was Wes's kicking against the wind. I thought bar two players ,most were on there game. L. Thompson was my M.O.M with Troy. Roll on the summer. One fan next to me "For Christ sake stop trying to walk it in to the net" Then Prichard has a shot from distance " For Christ sake stop shooting you greedy B.......". jayden
  • Score: 3

8:41am Sat 15 Feb 14

The Jockster says...

Den - Nathan might have deserved his 9 yellows - I can't remember if one or two were dodgy and yes he's prone to a reckless lunge or two and has undoubtedly rightly been booked, but as I said above he certainly didn't warrant a card last night and the ref's lame explanation about adverse body language was frankly laughable - it all kicked off near to us and after we'd been given the free kick Watt decides to get aggressive not Nathan who was always backing off, no wonder he was distraught afterwards, and MC rightly incensed. It was the Lino who persuaded the ref to book him and again as I said he had a poor game re decision making.
Not usual for me to over criticise the officials but I think they got that wrong big time.
Den - Nathan might have deserved his 9 yellows - I can't remember if one or two were dodgy and yes he's prone to a reckless lunge or two and has undoubtedly rightly been booked, but as I said above he certainly didn't warrant a card last night and the ref's lame explanation about adverse body language was frankly laughable - it all kicked off near to us and after we'd been given the free kick Watt decides to get aggressive not Nathan who was always backing off, no wonder he was distraught afterwards, and MC rightly incensed. It was the Lino who persuaded the ref to book him and again as I said he had a poor game re decision making. Not usual for me to over criticise the officials but I think they got that wrong big time. The Jockster
  • Score: 1

9:02am Sat 15 Feb 14

old town robin says...

Oi Den! wrote:
No complaints from me about the performance or result. I have no idea whether Thompson's booking was justified or not but he's not being suspended for one yellow card. Ask him about the other 9, Mark! Reminds me of the old Dean Martin quote "It only takes one drink to get me drunk. I just can't remember whether it's the 17th or 18th."
Quite right about the number of yellows Den. 30 yellows accumulated by just 3 players is a shocking number. Funny that the player with the bad boy image off the field hasn't got one card as far as I can remember.
[quote][p][bold]Oi Den![/bold] wrote: No complaints from me about the performance or result. I have no idea whether Thompson's booking was justified or not but he's not being suspended for one yellow card. Ask him about the other 9, Mark! Reminds me of the old Dean Martin quote "It only takes one drink to get me drunk. I just can't remember whether it's the 17th or 18th."[/p][/quote]Quite right about the number of yellows Den. 30 yellows accumulated by just 3 players is a shocking number. Funny that the player with the bad boy image off the field hasn't got one card as far as I can remember. old town robin
  • Score: 1

9:08am Sat 15 Feb 14

Ian13 says...

How many people braved the wind and the rain to go last night?
How many people braved the wind and the rain to go last night? Ian13
  • Score: 0

9:54am Sat 15 Feb 14

Scouse Red says...

Ian13 wrote:
How many people braved the wind and the rain to go last night?
about 6,600 - me and my lad had to move from our usual seat in the Family Stand about 20 rows back to right back as we were completely drenched. Wouldn't of minded if we'd of pulled a goal out or made their keeper make a few saves
[quote][p][bold]Ian13[/bold] wrote: How many people braved the wind and the rain to go last night?[/p][/quote]about 6,600 - me and my lad had to move from our usual seat in the Family Stand about 20 rows back to right back as we were completely drenched. Wouldn't of minded if we'd of pulled a goal out or made their keeper make a few saves Scouse Red
  • Score: 1

10:53am Sat 15 Feb 14

swwindon61uk says...

Unlucky not to get the win last night.
Surprised the game went ahead last night because of the wind.
Performance in such conditions was superb and it seems now our team is taking shape team selection wise and formation.
Bodes well for next season IMHO,i think we will finish where we are right now .
Unlucky not to get the win last night. Surprised the game went ahead last night because of the wind. Performance in such conditions was superb and it seems now our team is taking shape team selection wise and formation. Bodes well for next season IMHO,i think we will finish where we are right now . swwindon61uk
  • Score: 2

10:57am Sat 15 Feb 14

old town robin says...

Scouse Red wrote:
Ian13 wrote:
How many people braved the wind and the rain to go last night?
about 6,600 - me and my lad had to move from our usual seat in the Family Stand about 20 rows back to right back as we were completely drenched. Wouldn't of minded if we'd of pulled a goal out or made their keeper make a few saves
Scouse, I know the official attendance was 6,683, but don't forget season ticket holders count whether they are there or not, Bums on seats I would have thought was closer to 5000, which considering the weather and the fact it was valentines day was not too bad.

In retrospect I wish we hadn't played two vital points thrown away and we lose vital players for the Posh game.
[quote][p][bold]Scouse Red[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Ian13[/bold] wrote: How many people braved the wind and the rain to go last night?[/p][/quote]about 6,600 - me and my lad had to move from our usual seat in the Family Stand about 20 rows back to right back as we were completely drenched. Wouldn't of minded if we'd of pulled a goal out or made their keeper make a few saves[/p][/quote]Scouse, I know the official attendance was 6,683, but don't forget season ticket holders count whether they are there or not, Bums on seats I would have thought was closer to 5000, which considering the weather and the fact it was valentines day was not too bad. In retrospect I wish we hadn't played two vital points thrown away and we lose vital players for the Posh game. old town robin
  • Score: 1

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree